1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My draft strategy

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Animus, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    As we stand, we have:

2, 2

I think having three second day picks is great. But I'd like to turn that into four, potentially five. I look to drop down in the first round and picking up their first, a second and a third for this year and a first and second for next year. Teams that are looking for a quarterback tend to overpay to get their guy, especially if Stroud and Young are still on the board when the Steelers are up.

Another positive is that the Steelers are going to have a plethora of money to fill in spots via FA. With that said, I wouldn't mind flipping Levi or Witherspoon for a 5th or 6th of next year. I really don't see either making the roster next year anyways so we might as well get some spots that could be for special teams' guys that can be decent depth. I'm not sure WJIII will be an answer at CB or not, but I'm drafting a CB in the top two rounds, if this isn't answered via FA.

Bush has shown enough for me at least to give him a similar deal that Edmunds got this past spring. In fact, I sign Edmunds to a three-to-four-year deal tomorrow, if I can. I'm sure Alualu is as good as gawn and I'm really not sure if Heyward will return, so I'm going to assume that he's not. Okgunobi is someone that I'm signing to at worst a two-year deal, preferably long term.

Best case

1: 15-20 slot
    2: 35
    2: 42
    2: 46-51
    3: 67ish
    3: 78-63ish
    4: 103

Getting 5 Picks in the top 100 and one just outside of the top 100 is an absolute banger plus the luxury of two 1's and two 2's for next season.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    1: DT Bryan Bresee
    2: LG O'Cyrus Torrence
    2: CB Eli Ricks
    2: OC John Michael Schmitz
    3: DT Tyler Davis
    3: WR Marvin Mims
    4: Edge Habakuk Baldinaldo
    7: ehhhh
    7: ehhhh

Obviously, these guys likely don't end up in their current rankings due to predraft activities. But this is how it stands today on 11/2/22.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm really not thinking of it yet.
    1. We have 9 games left....So that means so do most the NFL....therefore We have no Idea where We will be drafting.
    2. Some players on our team may start getting better, and some may get worse.....then that may change our whole draft strategy. :shrug:
    3. College ball has 4 more games, maybe a conference championship game, a bowl game, and possibly 2 playoff games, and possibly a championship game. So some of those players may...1. Get badly hurt...2. Start sucking....3. Others may shine brighter.
    So....way too early for Me right now. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    True dat. Was at work and needed to ramble after literally stealing a #2 from the Bears.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Just a point. The trade package you are asking for is enough for the Super Bowl winner this year to move up to spot #4 on the trade value chart. No one's going to offer it to move from 20 to 6.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sorry....I wasn't trying to end Your post....It's just way too early for Me....that's all. I'll be all over this in late February.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Where the Steelers are picking as of today, they should not settle for less than 2 #1s in the 2023 draft, if they trade the pick.

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Its not bad if it works out that way..but as STD said its really wait and see. If we are top 5 there is enough interest to possibly get a trade, but you also have to look at talent. To drop out of the top 15..even 12 is leaving a ton of talent in someone else's hands. Seattle has 4 or 5 rookies starting..and doing well. Would be nice to see a productive draft .

• Like Like x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    We’ve been drafting in the bottom half of the draft nearly two decades. It’s time for some true blue chip prospects. Unless another team offers a Walker type trade or a stupid move like Ditka then they stand pat and reap the rewards

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We need these players picked to make significant contributions. No redshirt years for these players.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Steelers have too many holes to rely on just 1 blue chip prospect though. The OL is just terrible, got to replace Claypool, got to address CB, and they got to address the aging DL (Ogunjobi may or may not be affordable next year). Sure we can fill some of the holes via FA; however, I find it easier to fill holes with more quantity in the first two-three rounds. Plus, not all players pan out, the more players we can get in the first two-three rounds, the less margin of error there is.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Would you roll the dice on Jalen Carter in the 1st?

15. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I like your thinking. I would trade back as well and pick up an additional 2nd and 3rd. With that said I think we could have a real shot at signing a Drone Payne at DT in Free Agency and continue to develop some of the talent on the Roster at that position. My focus in the draft would be a blue chip CB and a hybrid coverage Safety/MLB. We don’t have anybody right now that can cover RB’s or TE’s on crossing patterns. Finally I would draft OL, OL, OL.

I would Sign DL D. Payne, S D. Kazee, S Edmunds, CB W. Jackson III and draft the following:
    1. CB C Gonzalez Late 1st
    2. Dl S Aika early 2nd
    3. OG O Torrence early 2nd
    4. MLB D Sanders Mid 2nd
    5. S J.L. Skinner Early 3rd
    6. OT M Bergeron Mid 3rd
    7. WR 4th
    8. Edge 7th
    9 RB 7th

In addition the team needs to absolutely revamp the coaching staff. I would move Flores into Def. Coordinator role, replace MLB Coach and CB Coach
    Replace Offensive Coordinator with somebody from San Francisco’s staff or Miami’s staff.
    I would add a Run Game Coordinator and Passing Game Coordinator and finally I would have two different game plans one for the first half and one for the second half. We are totally inept at adjusting at half time and teams constantly destroy us in the second half.
    J. L Skinner would play a box safety hybrid MLB role and Sanders could also develop into a coverage Linebacker. They are both long athletes withe some coverage traits.The big nose tackle would take tremendous pressure off the MLB’s and having to worry about a thumper supporting the run allwoingthem to be able to focus on the pass or putting skinnier more explosive athletes conducive to covering the pass back there.

• Like Like x 2
  16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Depends on where we pick. We're probably looking at 5 so carter probably won't be available at that point.

17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't know how far he drops because of his injury.

I am still hoping for an OT in the 1st.

• Like Like x 1
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Same here.

19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'd absolutely love to have Jalen Carter, Paris Johnson, or Kelee Ringo. That OT from PSU is also getting a ton of praise as of late.

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Do you want to win super bowls or continue being a middle of the road team?

21. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    You win SB's by stockpiling draft capital, not relying on 1 blue chip prospect. How does drafting Jalen Carter keep Kenny Pickett on his feet and get the run game going, or how does drafting Paris Johnson prevent Joe Burrow from throwing bombs on our horrible CB's?

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I’m not referring to one player. There are no quick fixes. This will take 2-3 years.

23. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Exactly. Precisely why stockpiling capital is the best solution. That strategy worked multiple times.

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Then you’re just getting the same average to below average player. Hoping you continue to find the diamond in the rough

25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Didn't we just see the Rams win a Super Bowl by giving away all their draft picks?

And this year we watched as Miami traded away all their 49ers 1st round picks for Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, and Bradley Chubb.

I don't know if the way to the Super Bowl anymore is by building through the draft.

Look at the Steelers; their best 1st round draft pick in the last 5 years has been trading away their 1st round pick for Minka,
    2022 Kenny Pickett
    2021 Najee Harris
    2020 Traded away to Dolphins for Minkah Fitzpatrick
    2019 Devin Bush
    2018 Terrell Edmunds