1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My Draft Scenario

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats a joke Mac, Blanchflower is a project that may never play a meaningful down in the NFL. Maybe he does maybe he doesn't but Koyack will be somebody's starting TE. And comparing stats paints a false picture, Norte Dame doesn't utilize their TE's as much as other schools, Eifert only had 50 rec for 685 yards in his Sr year and he was a first rd pick. I know what I see on film and Koyack is a solid TE.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    koyack will be a starting TE for somebody. you know this how? 50 receptions in one year far outweighs 44 in a career. how is it a false picture BF? the stats are what they are.

koyack is far from a can't miss starting TE in the NFL, i'll stick with my assessment. sorry you don't like it. the numbers are what they are, you act like I made them up.

for the steelers, I'd rather a guy that can do it all at a high level if he's heaths replacement. I don't want to say well ND didn't use him that way 3 years from now, and that's why the steelers need another one. if he's coming in as a second TE and that is what we want him for, then I stand by the blanchflower comparison.:cool:

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    the kid from Minnesota is the only one who can come close to comparing to heath. and I don't think he is that close

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Analysis

Strengths

Becoming a very reliable blocker. Is tough enough and physical enough to be a play-side blocking tight end on zone runs. Bends and explodes from hips into his targets and sustains with a good base. Will drive smaller linebackers off the line of scrimmage in run game. Has lined up in-line, slot and as an H-back. Has the physical build and enough quickness to threaten the seam. Turns head and locates the ball quickly. Can make contested catches. Has NFL run-after-catch ability. At home in a physical matchup. Has long arms and big hands. Weaknesses

Focus drops were a big problem for Walford from 2012-2013 (10 drops). Needs work in sinking hips into breaks. Will round off out routes and allow defender angles to break on the pass. Scouts say his play speed has been inconsistent and there are questions about what his timed speed will be. Not the same factor in run blocking when asked to play move-tight-end role. NFL Comparison

Dwayne Allen Bottom Line

A combo tight end who can help a team in the running game and through the air, Walford can be moved around the field. He lacks the elite athletic traits to be a game-changer at the position, but he is becoming a premium blocker. With teams looking for versatile TEs to create matchups in two-TE sets, Walford's stock should be high.:cool:

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Analysis

Strengths

Possesses desired size and athleticism for the position. Can threaten the seam, though not asked to do so very often. Sinks hips and plays with twitch into and out of breaks. Large, strong hands. Hands-catcher with plus concentration in a crowd. Equally comfortable in–line or from the slot. Excels as run blocker with unique understanding of leverage and hand placement. Works to secure edge. Mirrors and stays engaged when walling off and hustles to get his man turned when responsible for play-side block. Has potential to be left on an island in pass protection. Competes hard. Weaknesses

Must work harder to get open and help his quarterback when the play breaks down. Doesn't strike much of a blow when asked to come across formation and seal off defensive end. Not elusive after the catch. Could use a little more girth if used as "Y" tight end. Only one season as full-time starter. Less game experience and targets than any of the top tight ends in this draft. Mechanical in his routes. Still gaining a feel for how to work in space. Just two catches for more than 25 yards in his career. NFL Comparison

Luke Willson Bottom Line

Underutilized in the passing game while at Notre Dame. Strong understanding and execution as a run blocker with the physical traits to be a tough matchup in the passing game. Still raw as a receiver and will need more individual work with a position coach on the next level. College production belies his pro potential:cool:

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Analysis

Strengths

Primarily used as move tight end. Straight-line wheels to beat linebackers and safeties. Accelerates to top speed quickly on crossers and speed outs. Speed to chew up cushion and open a throwing window over the top. Will threaten seam and dominated defenders on wheel routes. Red-zone winner. Can do damage after the catch and shows playmaking aptitude with tight end screens. Extends and goes all out for the catch. Got a foot inbounds on three circus catches. Eighty-two percent of his catches were for either a first down or touchdown. Not easily redirected out of release. Honest effort to stay engaged when base blocking. Weaknesses

Body is a little soft and could use additional weight work to handle NFL hits. Runs upright, rounded routes that lack salesmanship and shake. Leans into breaks, tipping his hand and bringing tighter coverage. Hip tightness stymies ability to sink and cut crisply. Needs to do better job over deep middle of using frame to shield throw from safeties. Won't generate push as an in-line blocker and has limited feel and instincts as a move blocker. Will need route work to create separation on the next level. NFL Comparison

Jeremy Shockey Bottom Line

Pass-catching, move tight end with straight-line play speed and an ability to stretch defenses deep. Williams comes from NFL bloodlines and has the self confidence often found in a former player's son, but he needs to improve his route running in order to become a more complete receiving threat. Williams led all college tight ends with 9 explosive catches (25-plus yards) in 2014 and should be an early target for teams looking for pass-catching weapons.:cool:

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Analysis

Strengths

Long frame with room for more muscle. Flashed some straight-line speed in space. Shows a feel for when he comes open in the seam and will turn quickly to find the throw. Can make the occasional spectacular, one-handed catch. Works to the open space against zone coverage. Not content to stand in space. Continues to maneuver around within his area to uncover and present an open target to the quarterback. Can go up and over smaller defenders in red zone as a split end. Weaknesses

Sluggish off the release and runs somewhat labored and mechanical routes, getting very limited separation against man coverage. Play demeanor lacks desired fire and aggressiveness. Does just enough as a run blocker. Doesn't handle power and movement in space as well as he needs to as a blocker. Gets hung up against jams at line of scrimmage and against physical defenders within his routes. Will try to run through defender rather than adjusting route. Inconsistent adjusting to poorly thrown balls and making the tough catch. NFL Comparison

Phillip Supernaw Bottom Line

Big, in-line tight end with room on his frame for more muscle, but he's limited by a lack of functional athleticism and a mechanical play demeanor. James isn't a plus receiver with great hands and he lacks the quickness to consistently free himself from man coverage, so he must become a more determined run blocker in order to have a shot at starting in the NFL.:cool:

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Analysis

Strengths

Big body with long arms and big hands. Has size and athleticism to be an every-down tight end. Flashes ability to run feet and sustain blocks in space and has quickness off snap to make back-side zone blocks. Smooth, natural hands-catcher. Plucks and stashes. Turns and searches for throw immediately out of break. Plus focus in a crowd. Will dive and extend to make the tough catch. After catch, drops shoulder and delivers a blow to defensive backs. Will hurdle low tackle attempts in open space. Good feel for open space and works back to scrambling quarterback. Showed ability to work the seam and make plays downfield in 2013. Weaknesses

Doesn't play to his frame in run game. Allows defenders to swat away hands and disengage too quickly. Sloppy footwork as blocker. Positional blocker -- doesn't consistently wall off against lesser competition. Tape shows questionable desire and competitiveness when asked to run block. Averaged 3.1 yards fewer per catch in 2014 than 2013. Looked quicker, more athletic and more energetic in 2013. Gets caught leaning into his break, giving route away. Dull out of breaks. NFL Comparison

Kellen Davis Bottom Line

Big tight end with the size and physical traits of a blocking tight end but lacking the proper disposition to specialize in it. The 2013 tape shows a starting-caliber receiving threat. If he can get quicker and put the work in as a blocker, Boyle can be a starting NFL tight end.:cool:

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He's been behind Eifert and Niklaus but i guess that doesn't mean anything, that wouldn't hurt his stats at all. So, like I said, false picture. He's far more of a sure thing than Blanchflower and I like Blanchflower, he has potential that I hope he reaches but he's definitely a project, a 7th rd pick.

No, I don't know he will be a starting TE, its my opinion, just like you dont know if any of the guys you have listed will make it in the NFL or that they would be a better fit for the Steelers over Koyack.

Comparing Heath and Koyacks final season of college:

Heath 41 rec 541 yards 5 TD's 13.2 yds per catch

Koyack 30 rec 317 yards 2 TD's 10.6 yds per catch

I mean we are talking about replacing Heath right and how they use their TE's? Koyack reminds me a lot more of Heath then the guys you like. But hell, if you're all for bringing in the new shiny breed of TE's then by all means lets bring in Maxx but if we want to keep this realistic about where they may draft a TE, then only James is likely to still be there in the 3rd or later.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    walford is more of the can do both block and be a receiver and is farther from the "new shinny breed of TE". that's my point. as they said about walford, he's already a good receiver and can help an NFL team in the run game. I watch Miami constantly and have seen walford evolve by leaps and bounds this past year. his blocking has been crucial for duke Johnson to be ranked as high as he is as a RB. bell has a lot of the same style and walford could help in the same fashion in life after heath. with a plus of already being a mismatch as a receiver too.

as the reviews state, koyack will need some coaching at the next level. that's why I am likening him to blanchflower. what I'm trying to say is if we draft a TE, I want one that can be less of a project. especially if we take one high in the draft. if we go 4th or 5th I think we are bringing in a guy more in line of a blanchflower that may or may not succeed as a replacement for heath. that's why the blanchflower comparison. more of a spaeth type if you will. that's where I see koyack.:cool:

11. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't see it Mac, aside from Williams, I see nothing better in Walford or James over Koyack, especially James and Walford has a case of the dropsies. His season to season production is not anything eye popping.

I'm enjoying the role reversal from last years draft though, I was pushing for the guy with questionable hands and blocking and now you are :lolol:

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    On the TE debate:

do you guys think Haley can utilize the pass receiving TE to its fullest advantage? He has struggled with the Rainey/Archer types in trying to get the small, speedy RBs a niche. He has done great with the WRs and RBs, but H. Miller does not get as many targets as he deserves imo. Just a question...

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Mac, would you take Harris at 1.22?

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  16. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I know and would love that pick. I hate to go te in the 1st but for him I would be fine with it

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    O'Leary in the first? That'd be a tough one for me.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree. The guy is a good, gritty football player, but I don't see the physical tools for him to be a big-time player in the NFL. I think he'll be a quality role player, but I think that's his ceiling.

19. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    he wont make it to the second.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he had the dropsies as you call them earlier in his career (2012-2013) he had 10. that has been fixed and a lot of the question marks that people had of him have been answered. speed, catching in traffic, getting open consistently. this season he has improved every game and turned into one fine threat. nope, I'm sticking with walford over koyack in a big way. :cool:

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree. blocking skills are not there. he's the pass catching type. :cool:

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

heath had a record year in Haley's first year.:cool:

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    tough call depending on who was taken already. if he's going to become the immediate starter for us, I might. depends who's left. I think he may be there in the 2nd but that's the chance you take. he's a good safety and we need one. not near as many starter available corners, TE's or OLB'ers. then there is the debate about needing a starter quality TE this year. if walford was there in the 2nd and we couldn't get an edge rusher in the first, I could see harris, walford 1-2. I think it could help both sides of the ball in those two picks for years to come.:cool:

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would rather go this route than getting Walford in the 2nd. I think he'll be a good player but I've got an itchy trigger finger on defense the first 3 rounds. Unless some crazy talent falls of course. With Heath and Spaeth giving no ground, I don't see a top TE pick this year high on the list. They could prove me wrong though, they usually do.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I believe spaeth is a FA.:cool: