1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My crude rating system for Tomlin/Cowher in the playoffs....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Pengvin67, Dec 30, 2019.

1. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

That game against the Broncos still bugs me. Ist and goal with Bettis in the backfield and let's have Kordell throw across the middle .... Ugh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    That call was sickening. The Broncos were gassed with Bettis churning out 6 or 7 yards every carry but the Steelers decided to get cute on first and goal from the 5 yard line. I think Chan Gailey was the OC that made that horrendous call.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    IIRC the Steelers gave up 2 special teams TDs in that AFCCG loss to New England, I guess the Steelers were playing down to the competition or weren't prepared :shrug:.

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I remember after Kordell threw that int in the endzone, that POS Romanowski was making fun of him basically calling Kordell dumb.

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers were favorites in 2001 and choked, the players were talking about their Super Bowl travel plans before the AFCCG :facepalm:.

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    What great teams did the 2005 team beat to win the Super Bowl? You bring up the Steelers losing to Garrard, Tebow, and Bortles, did the hall of famer Ben outplay those other QB's? I'm sure Ben turned the ball over more than those other QB's.

7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I see you put a lot of work in however calling Super Bowl victories not a signature win invalidates the entire thing.

8. Pengvin67

Pengvin67 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    "Crude" ;) I did that in like 30 minutes. So in Chess when you play an inferior opponent and win you don't get a whole lot of points for that. When you lose to an inferior opponent you get killed. When you play a superior opponent and win you get a whole lot of points. when you play a superior opponent and lose you don't lose that many points. Let me give you some Super Bowl Examples:

Denver 31 Green Bay 24
    San Francisco 55 Denver 10
    Baltimore 34 New York Giants 7
    New York Jets 16 Baltimore 7
    Pittsburgh 27 Arizona 23
    San Francisco 46 San Diego 23
    New York Giants 20 Buffalo 19

I went off memory hear so you can look and know that I was wrong in quoting scores. MY personal OPINION:

The only signature wins were Denver, NY Jets, NY Giants and that's it. The rest were Yes, this is supposed to happen. One team is clearly superior. Yawn. Nothing here to see. I'm not giving credit to San Francisco destroying AFC teams at that time. Why would I? They were loaded. That's all I'm saying. Pittsburgh SHOULD be beating Arizona. If you can't beat that average franchise in a Super Bowls then you suck. I'm not going to give full credit and the same way Pittsburgh beat Seattle. Should they not? Can't beat Seattle and Arizona in Super Bowls means that you're not a good coach.

But again, I appreciate your opinion and I'm just a fan and say what I think like everyone here.

9. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    Only a 14-2 Colts team on the road after they had a 1st round bye. Manning, Wayne, Edge, Harrison on offense. You may have heard of them, but if you haven't, they were kind of decent. I mean I know that the 14-2 colts team doesn't compare to some of the Mike Tomlin coached 8-8 teams that everyone here applauds, so yeah you're right. The 2005 beat nobody. Only if they could have gone in the future and scheduled Mike Tomlin's 8-8 teams then you'd give them credit. :) I know, I'm a jerk. I'm honestly sick of the same garbage that spews out of Tomlin's teams consistently. We all have X amount of time to live. After 9 years and you can't sniff a super bowl, Seeeee ya later! I could care less that we suffer through a few coaches to get it right. I'm not going to ever be proud our team is 8-8. This is suffering already. That's average. Start putting all the C average kids in national honor society. See what happens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Cowher > Popcorn all day every day

11. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    How hard is it to realize that once your team can't beat a team quarterbacked by Tim Tebow, you're not going to be able to beat the upper-level quarterbacks? It's over man. I was done with Tomlin after that. I don't care how many Super Bowls I can mention, there's always a friend that yells out TIM TEBOW in my face.

12. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    ahhhh, I did, didn't I. Actually that mean -1/15 x 10 = -0.667. So it is an error on my part. Good catch! I like people who know read posts! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Jacksonville at home after losing to them bad in Pittsburgh ranks right up there with Cowher's overlooking the Chargers.

14. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I couldn't stand that roid head.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Chargers loss was Cowhers worst loss.

the Tebow loss for Tomlin (and it’s also the worst of them all)

At least this is according to my memory. Lol

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Nobody cares about your lame ass rating system, you came in with a bias, so we already knew where you stood. It doesn't change the fact the 2008 team was better than the 2005 team. Ben was a better QB in 2008, and Harrison was DPOY.

17. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    Well one had
    I heard that one of the teams also had a HOF coach. Oh yeah, that's right, You think Tomlin is such a master. TIM TEBOW, DAVID GARRARD, BLAKE BORTLES. Lol Losing to those jokes. Yeah, Tomlin is a hero! Keep rooting for 8-8 and tell all the kids out there, See Kids look at what you can do by being average. You're so smitten with mediocrity, that it's so sad. Tomlin can't beat a terrible team in a clutch situation to save his life. I have no idea what football games you are watching. The Steelers are the ones wearing the black and gold and not black and silver. Or green and white (Jets). Can't beat the Raiders and Jets in back to back years at the most critical time of year and praise Tomlin as a "good" coach. He sucks. Get over it. Latching on to a Super Bowl win where he had the pieces fall into place. When is he going to make it happen when the pieces aren't falling into place? Fans like you are what is keeping the Steelers from getting ahead in the league. Let's keep latching on to the past glory days and how Mike Tomlin jumped and down and chest bumped his team winning a Super Bowl against the sorry Cardinals. Yeah. Oh wait, Tim Tebow shows up and schooled him. Where was the high fives then? Oh we're going to UNLEASH HELL and promptly lose to the terrible Raiders. Yeah, Bruce Gradkowski is a monster, too. Oh wait, don't forget losing to Mike Glennon at Home! Retread quarterbacks are like HOF caliber if you see how they did against the Steelers in some more important games for the Steelers. So stop with your loyalty to garbage. If you want garbage, keep Mike Tomlin as the head coach! You'll be suffering and eventually the real fans will stop watching. Mike Tomlin couldn't beat a juggernaut team on the road to save his life.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    So everyone, I think Bill Cowher is a Hall-of-Fame coach. As I've stated before, the cheating Patriots cost Bill Cowher and Tony Dungy some Super Bowl opportunities. That skewed history. But keep loving Tomlin. It's pretty obvious he'll never win another Super Bowl.

19. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What you wrote isn't obvious. You know what? People used to say that about Cowher. Cowher helped the Steelers win a Superbowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Every team that wins this weekend will make travel plans for the SB before they play the conf championship games. This has been happening for a long time.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm talking about when the players say something to the media before the AFCCG, some of the Patriots players were clowning them for it after the game.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    In the playoffs any team can rise up and beat the perceived better team, Belichick has lost to Tannehill and Foles, and Sanchez in the playoffs. Bortles after he beat the Steelers in 2017, almost beat Brady and Belichick in the AFCCG. The only thing that is garbage is your dumbass rating system :shrug:.

23. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    Did you actually just compare Bill Belichik to Mike Tomlin? Yikes. Your perception of football is completely amazing.

Ok, I'm not a patriots fan, but didn't Bill Belichik also win 6 Super Bowls to make up for that? Hmmmmm, Mike Tomlin beat who to make up for Garrard, Tebow, Bortles and this doesn't include important regular season games that cost the Steelers important seeding and home field advantage. You can't keep defending Tomlin over the last 9 years. Don't you realize he's wasting all of our lives as Steelers fans? Gee whizz, he couldn't get to multiple AFC championship games with Hall-of-Fame talent over the last 9 years! Losing to pathetic quarterbacks. What exactly are YOU hanging your hat on with Tomlin? You put up some statistics or system that tells me anything more than you just saying the same stale koolaid.

24. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    Listen buddy, I'm a Steelers fan through and through, but the last 9 years have showed me Mike Tomlin can't actually coach. I feel like he appears great when some pieces fall into place. I've felt more disappointment, however, with terrible losses. The Steelers have had Hall-of-Fame talent and it really amounted to nothing over the last 9 years. That's all I'm saying. 9 years is a long time and they've had talent, so what's missing?

Marvin Lewis went to 7 playoff games in 11 years. Is he THAT much worse than Mike Tomlin? or is Mike Tomlin THAT much better than Marvin Lewis? I think the Bengals did the right thing to move on from Lewis. Zac Taylor has them playing hard and I see them play alot living in Cincinnati. They should have unloaded AJ green and Andy Dalton, but they may become so much better once they get their pieces in place on the offensive line, mixon and Joe Burrow? I'd be careful of sticking with a Tomlin because you're afraid we might have some losing seasons. Losing seasons are ok to get the right pieces in place. Don't get complacent with 8-8.

25. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017