1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Muuuuuuth gets an extension

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Sep 6, 2024.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    most of us thought this was coming,

$48.4M , 4 yr. extension

Last edited: Sep 6, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Love this! Feel good about the numbers!

3. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Seems like a reasonable deal if he can stay healthy and produce the way we all think he’s capable of. Consistent QB play would be helpful too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    seems reasonable.

not many other options for us, don't want to start over in the draft or in FA, still too many needs looking at 2025 and beyond.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I read a quote yesterday where I thought he said nothing was going to be done

Apparently that is old news

6. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Agreed! I think there is untapped potential too.

Someone check on Cowherd....

7. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    What are we moving money around for? Are we about to do a trade?

8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

it's always darkest.....before the morning!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    No AR2 is getting ready to help keep a Pittsburgh Icon in Pittsburgh until the three rivers dry up. #ExtendSidtheKid. We all know the Pirates ownership has money squirreled away it's why they let the league pay for the Buccos roster. Come on Art make Crosby a lifer if only to stake Mark Madden through the heart.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Yeah, I'm a little surprised that they extended him this soon, I thought they might wait until after the season. The numbers seem to be fair though. T.J. Hockenson who had comparable stats to Muth signed a similar extension earlier. I think Muth is getting a little more money than Hockenson though, if I remember correctly

Last edited: Sep 6, 2024
  11. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Color me disappointed.

Muth at over $10M per is not good value. It's like the Steelers are doubling down on their mistake in no taking the best center in that draft.

Smith better use the wheels off Muth this year.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I suspect that Muth will get more targets this year with Smith's offense, and not having DJ around anymore

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This is a business, not drafting a C instead of him made no difference in the negotiation. The market rate they paid was marginally higher, but that will easily go up next year. Is there a risk, sure, but they like what they see and have, made a decent investment at pretty much the market price. Really nothing to complain about here.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He's getting paid like Cole Kmet... Not necessarily a bad comparable. I think the market value is fair. With the cap rising as fast as it is, 12 million is the new 8 million. AB was the highest paid WR in 2017 at 17 million per year. Fast forward only 7 years and Justin Jefferson and CeeDee Lamb just signed contracts worth DOUBLE that number (more than double in JJ's case). Pat's a nice receiving threat at the position and he is getting paid in the 8th-10th range among TE's in the league. Seems more than fair.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We definitely need him to play like Kelce for us!

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers usually do not negotiate when season starts, but I have never
    season what they did for AB . I have watched the Steelers for over 55 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will second this thread!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Possibly? We have to have the space in case we want to make one in-season.

Truth be told, I think we are locking up all the guys we want around for the next 3-4 years so we can make a run at the SB. We're either going to make a play in the draft for a high end QB or pay Dak. This team is in win-mode at this point IM). Just my read on the situation.

• Like Like x 1
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Meh. I won't live to see it but wonder what a 21 year old will see when it comes to NFL salaries 40 years from now. Then again his team could be the London Lads or Brazil Nuts.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I wonder in 40 years what my season ticket will cost

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    now if we only had someone to throw the ball to him next year. najee probably not too happy either. or warren. good for muth though.:cool:

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    4 years ... that is 68 games, and he will probably play in how many of them?

• Like Like x 3
  23. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    As a receiving TE Kmet was rated far higher last season (Muth was 25th), and the Steelers have a history of non-use of TEs in the receiving game. And we already know Muth is not a high end blocker, PLUS he isn't a full time starter since Washington and Heyward split starts with him last season, so what are they really getting with him?

24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Last season was a bit of an anomaly targets/yards wise... Pat's first two seasons are nearly statistically identical to Kmet the past 3 years and I know that they want to utilize the TE's a lot more in Smith's offense.

I think we're getting a quality receiving TE who is a meh blocker. We paid him to be the starter, so he is going to start... Just because he wasn't utilized properly last season, doesn't mean that he isn't what he is. I can see the hesitancy because he's coming of a season where injuries and poor QB play made him look statistically bad... but his game is what we are looking for, and I don't think he's regressed. I think a return to 100ish targets and 700ish yards is pretty likely, and it would fall in line with what our expectations are based on the salary paid out to him.

25. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Well, they wouldn't be extending him after the season; they'd be re-signing him as a free agent. Hockenson's APY is second only to Kelce, at $16.5M/year (Kelce: $17.1M). The $12M APY for Pat is fair, provided they lean into his skills as a receiver. It puts him below Engram and Njoku ($13.7M APY), and on par with Kmet ($12.5M) and Schultz ($12M).

One thing I'll say is that the extensions for Heyward and Freiermuth sure signal to me that the team does not see Harris in their future.