1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Munchak Faith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Fe3CCity, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Does the hire change draft needs? Are all of you that want OL, in the first or second round AGAIN, calming down?

Or would it be a situation of polishing a turd? How much could he bring that turd to a nice shine?

The only chance I see for change is Foster.He is the biggest and doesnt fit how Munchak likes his linemen. Maybe mobility is another reason Velasco was cut from the titans?

2. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    didnt think about the Velasco thing. i wonder what that does for his future with the Steelers. maybe he stepped his game up and even Munchak was surprised with his play this season.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    With the way Wallace was playing the last few games I'd be surprised if they try and sign Velasco, think we will need that money elsewhere. Pouncey isn't going anywhere and all we need is a reasonably priced serviceable back up (Walace). We are set right now at Tackle. We will Probably take a guard in the mid to late rounds. That's the way I see it.

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Let Munchak come in and evaluate who we got and we can determine our draft needs from there ...

I'm interested to see how he evaluates the all the Tackles on our roster. Me personally I think Adams is not going to be the guy we hoped for.

I would love to upgrade Foster, however, he is a a locker room favorite with the staff and players it seems an dit would be difficult to find a day one starter in the draft.

5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    NO....

Our top 4 draft needs in my opinion has since the end of the season been CB,S,WR,OLB. I think RB is more of a need than OL right now.

I also believe that with 98 underclassmen entering the draft and another 4 underclassmen qualifying for the draft by graduating there will a high caliber OL dropping to us @ 15 AND in the 2nd rd. Before the Munchak hiring the team may have been tempted to draft one of these guys. Since the hiring I feel the Steelers will stay put with the talent they have and let Munchak work his magic.

Look for a surprise drop by an OL in the draft, a 3rd or 4th rd talent dropping to the 6th rd and the steelers draft him.

Velasco & Wallace: One will stay and one will leave. I think Wallace stays. Munchak likes Velasco, said it was a hard choice to release him while at Tenn. and even stated he was happy Velasco caught on with the Steelers and said he'd do a good job here. He and Wallace both have 4 yrs experience and both played okay with us. The biggest difference to me is Wallace is more scrappy, more of a nasty streak that Munchak can harness.

Cajun-

6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It drives me nuts people have already given up on Adams it was his second season and he got stabbed right before it started.

7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I dont get it either....

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I still think Adams is going to be a solid player for us. People were calling for DeCastros head too and look how he improved. The OL wasn't playing very well then improved the second half of the season , which should have been expected due to all the injuries and young guys.

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

This makes me scratch my head even more trying to understand the firing off the OL coach in the first place.

The OLine really started to come around late in the season. Better than they have for 3 solid years. Now they start performing well together finally and the Oline coach gets the axe.
    Can anyone say Scapegoat?

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm with you guys. You don't give up on high draft picks that quickly.

11. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    Agreed you dont.

A call to move Beachum inside with Adams getting another try at LT. He showed improvement when he filled in for beachum albeit not drastic. Munchak likes run blockers and Adams excels as a run blocker.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    From what I've read Bicknell was stripped of his duties half way through the year

13. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
  14. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That, is just crazy talk.

We will solve the equation right here on this discussion board and if Munchak is worth his salt, he will come on here, read what we write, and implement it exactly.

Does anyone really think that Munchak won't evaluate the staff and form an opinion? Or that preempting that opinion through discussion here will somehow set the team back?

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Think it was widely reported that he had been stripped of his control of the OL and the assistant coach had taken a bigger role.

16. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    What else would be the purpose of coming on to this forum?

These are OPEN forums for the Pittsburgh Steelers, no? It's what makes this the best franchise in all professional sports. They listen to their fans and push for what they want. It is our team, our product, and our money.
    I await your response. Good day Sir!

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What it says about Womack is EXACTLY why I don't want to spend another high draft pick on the line. I don't care how much people dominate at the college level, it still not the pros, not even the vaunted SEC, the chances of coming in and dominating year one is very slim. Develop the pieces we have already invested via the draft, I don't buy that they can't, not yet anyway.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah no way we give up on Adams yet. Guy played a few games in 2012 then got hurt and was out for the rest of the season then stabbed and he gets a new coach with a new scheme. We need to give him a legitiment shot before we right him off.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  20. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Munchak wasn't the titans OL coach, he was their HC. Its been reported Munchak was fired because he wouldn't fire some asst. coach/s and I believe his friend and former teammate Mathews was his OL Coach.

Cajun-

21. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    You all are correct, you don't give up on a high draft choice quickly. Let's also remember Adams, even though he has perfect size, has poor footwork, bad balance and sorry technique using his hands. There is a reason Beachum became the starter over him. Adams will be Munchak's project. Hopefully he succeeds.

Cajun-

22. codehead

codehead Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I thought this too. But then I read somewhere on here that actually the OL coach was not responsible for the turn around but was in way over his head and one of his assistants took control halfway through. So there seemed to be a legitimate reason.

23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    If a stud left tackle is there at 15 I hope and pray they draft him. Our OL was abysmal again in 2013 and I would like to see it fixed once and for all. It would be awesome to see our offense run like a well oiled machine for a change. Enough of this fly by the seat of your pants hoping Ben can pull a rabbit out of his hat.

24. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    great post.. short.. sweet .. and 100% true

HINES

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    OMG the only reason adams even played LT was because gilbert couldn't. then neither could adams. both 2nd round picks. not 4th , 5th, or 6th rounders but 2nd. chris scott played better LT then these two yahoo's. do you guys have stock in mike adams inc. or something? 40+ sacks again on our most important player. why would you argue to not want to improve the protection of our best asset at age 32+? this is crazy. a good line is just as big an offensive weapon as a TE, WR or RB to an offense.

:facepalm::cool: