1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie "IT"

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by turtle, Sep 9, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I loved the first (made for TV) one and plan on going this week sometime. Anyone see it yet? If not, I'll give a non-spoiler review later...

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I just saw a trailer for this last night. Ill be checking it out. The book is one of my favorite all time books. The ending was lame but thats Stephen King, his book endings usually are.

Hated the TV movie, hoping this movie gets it right.

4. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll see it eventually. While I kinda liked the TV movie when it first came out, I felt like they had to hold back b/c of it being on TV, so this has the potential to be better, I think.

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I saw it today. It's pretty good. The kids are the best part of it and they really act like kids actually act. There's some pretty cool effects in it as well.

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    This one definitely departs from the book and especially the part with the boys and the girl from the book. Although there is another undertone that's actually even more messed up though. It definitely earns the R rating because there's quite a bit of gore in it and tons of blood. The book will never be faithfully adapted though because it's just too big. Stephen King said he liked this version though. My favorite King movies are Misery, Shawshank, and The Shining and I'd put this one up there too. This one is also set in the 80's and there were tons of references in it for kids from my generation and some of them really cracked me up. There's a considerable amount of humor in it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wife and daughter went to it tonight, they loved it. Not my cup of tea though.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And the kids were the best part about the book so thats encouraging.

But, like you said, the book is huge and no movie is going to encompass that.

Shawshank was great. In the book, you learned what they were in prison for but the producer of the movie or director didnt want to do that for the movie because they felt the characters wouldnt have been as likable. I have to agree :lolol:

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Huge Stephen King fan here. I even own, and read, "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon". That being said, I can't imagine how they can do justice to "It" in only a couple of hours. I'll see it in the theatre though. I'm actually looking forward to it. When mentioning King movies, you can't forget "Stand By Me" (The Body) or "The Green Mile" I'd like to see someone remake "Pet Sematary"!!

10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
  11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I love Stand By Me but hated The Green Mile. Also when I was a kid I was so insanely freaked out by Pet Sematray freaked me ouuuuuuut! LOL! My buddy actually named his son Gauge because of that movie.

12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
  13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The other day my little boy saw the dvd cover of The Munsters and said "Look daddy! Frankenstein!" and I was like "Welllll not exactly..." LOL! He thought The Munsters must have been something really scary.

14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I was never a fan of "the Munsters" except for the normal cousin! Shows how much I know. There's a guy here in town that still drives an "Eddie Munster" edition International Harvester! I didn't care for Fred Gwynne until I saw "The Cotton Club" He was so much more than Herman Munster.
    Getting away from hijacking this thread, PENNYWISE!!!

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I never was a big fan of The Munsters either. Also, speaking of Pennywise, the original IT is actually on right now on Spike Tv.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm a bit of a fan here, too. I've read most of his books...I even have the original Cycle of the Werewolf somewhere. My wife is a huge fan, but I'm way more critical of him. Anyway, I think they're doing this in two parts, so that should help do some justice.

I thought this was pretty funny. It's something I would do. :whistley: I don't know who these people are, my wife sent it to me earlier.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah! He was great in that.

Small world. We stumbled on that and watched it again. No one could have done Pennywise as good as Tim Curry.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah my buddy was actually pretty critical of how they used Pennywise in this one. He just felt like they didn't give him just enough dialog and relied too much on special fx with him and didn't just let him be naturally creepy. They've already got a director for part 2 and I'm sure it's gonna show the kids as adults. Honestly though I doubt they can get adults that can be as much fun to watch as the kids were in this one.

19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

If I were to bet it the fun will be replaced with brutality when the kids are replaced with adults.

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh this one was really brutal also. Tons of blood and gore.

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Aren't we forgetting someone???????????????????????????? upload_2017-9-11_8-57-54.jpeg

And we can't forget............[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Cujo freaked me out the most, that was a good one...

23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    And funny how that scary name became part of the English language as a noun and a verb - sort of like "Rambo" and "Postal".

• Like Like x 1
  24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    except Cujo didn't follow the book.

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Why has nobody mentioned Carrie? That movie is absolutely terrifying at the end. Her mom was so dang insane! LOL!