1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Motion for the sake of motion

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Nov 27, 2011.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Can anyone tell me why the Steelers use so much motion if they are not going utilize what it does? Sometimes I think they use it just because the play design calls for it. Ben doesn't identify if the coverage is in man or zone. Doesn't use it to see if they are stacking against the run or to get a more favorable match-up. On that goal line hand off to Redmen the Chiefs showed they were playing the run the whole way. Mendenhall motions to the outside and the Chiefs don't react at all. On the deep ball to Wallace the motion a TE into the backfield and the CB on Wallace drops back almost 8 yards and takes the inside and they throw deep instead of checking to the quick slant and hitting Wallace letting him use his speed to make YAC. Stop using motion if you aren't going to put it to use. :beg:

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    yeah it does seem pointless especially when the D doesn't respond at all

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think the Steelers need to use motion a lot more often. Ben struggles at reading defenses pre-snap... he hasn't added that to his game yet the way Manning or Breeze has. Using motion would help Ben out a lot.

I would agree they don't use motion as effective as they could. The Steelers use motion to move a guy out to a wider route or to run block. They do not use it to force a defense to give up their coverage scheme. I would have Heath line up on one side and motion to the other side of the line EVERY PLAY just so Ben can get some pre snap information out of it.