1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Most important player in Steelers history

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Nov 20, 2011.

1. jrc

jrc Member

Nov 9, 2011
    I think it might have been Johnny Unitas. I realize he wasn't a Steeler for very long... but, he was one of the most important players in the history of football. Other than that give me Mean Joe.

2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Great point.We all know how hard it is to win without a good qb let alone hall of famer qb.But fans of way back will tell you that swann made bradshaw.

3. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I gotta go with Mean Joe as well. Ditto what everyone is saying. He changed the culture.

gotta go with Noll for non-player.

4. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Bradshaw has to get some love on this. I know the fans do not like him anymore, but he did lead them to 4 superbowls. He was just as important as Green was from the other side of the ball.

5. tesel10

tesel10 Active Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree they were both great Steelers and that Terry Bradshaw was definitely one of the 2 best big game quarterback in NFL history. Without Bradshaw we do not think we win 4 Superbowls. BUT by the time Bradshaw matured into a great quarterback, the Steelers franchise had already changed from lovable loser to contenders. We start our 8 year playoff run 1972 and won Superbowl IX in 1974, when Bradshaw was still a subpar QB. So in my mind Bradshaw was not the catalyst that changed the Steelers, but rather the piece that took us from a very good team to the best ever. I think Mean Joe was that catalyst. He changed the mindset of the franchise (with a lot of help from Chuck Noll). If you want to look at an offensive player, I think Franco Harris is the one to look at. He helped forge the dominating run game that became the signature of Steelers football (till the last 4 years). In Franco’s rookie year we had our first winning record since 1963 and went to our first playoffs game ever. He laterally carried the offense on has back for next 4 years, till Bradshaw matured and we draft some great WRs.

Bradshaw Stats
    1970-1974: 48 TDs vs. 81 INTS
    1975-1983: 165 TDs vs. 120 INTS

6. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Quick Joe Greene story. A friend of mine in the Pittsburgh Media came to Miami for SB Xlll. I spent the day with him at the Airport Marriott where the Steelers were staying.

The Steeler press conference was attended by about 40 reporters. John Crittendon of the Miami News addressed Bradshaw. He told Bradshaw that Cliff Harris had stated that he was going to take out Bradshaw. Bradshaw said well, if he does it clean then fine. Bradshaw then said (paraphrase) we have intimidators on this team too. Greene was next up. They asked him what he thought of Harris's threat. Joe said, "Tell Cliff Harris I'm going to rip his ****ing head off.