1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

More proof the new-look secondary has been elite

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Dec 4, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Lamar Jackson under Randy Fichtner?!

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Plenty of dump off passes to running backs. Would be a dream

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That really would not develop Lamar much though. Much of his success is thanks in part to the unorthodox way you would have to build around a player like Lamar; the offensive weapons coincide with Lamar's abilities as opposed to Lamar's abilities alone being the main reason.

Me and you both know Randy does not like putting Vance or Nick in winnable situations. Nevermind that, the Wide Receivers have seen little to no slants; an area where Lamar thrives in throwing to his receivers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Would've been a waste.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My point exactly.

People act as if Lamar would have produced the same results here had Pittsburgh drafted him. Here is the biggest issue I have with these statements. For that matter, an area the team already explored.

Pittsburgh brought the house to Louisville's Pro Day back in 2018. Pittsburgh clearly would have taken Lamar had they felt if he could mesh with Randy and the offensive scheme. Clearly he did not; hence why he was not selected.

For that matter, I also remember the general consensus being had Pittsburgh taken a QB in Round One, it would have been a waste as you said. Why does this matter now?!?! Quite the turnaround given all that has happened.

Truly unreal!! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Never truly an exact to know for certain and without doubt way come draft time but it is what it is. He wouldn't have fit here... Sure he might've had moments etc... But this team is not built for that type of gamble... Circumstance won't allow it and that's pretty much it end of list. Now I could go on and on about why I wouldn't want him personally but what's the point I don't think he's long for the league

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Are you making the trip?

8. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Yeah God willing we'll start the drive late evening tomorrow. My baby girls cheer comp got bumped to later in the day so it crashed flight plans... 8 hour friggin drive ahead!

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    nice, I hope you have a good time at the game!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Lamar Jackson is the real deal, but is he another RG3 in the making. How many hits can the kid take until he is injured. Then Once he is injured the offense will change to protect him more which means less running which also means his strengths are diminished. He is so slight in frame i just do not see him lasting long in this league the way they are playing him. I dont think a QB in the history of the league has run as much as him this year (correct me if im wrong) and there is a reason for that. But who knows he might defy all the odds.

11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Hey Crazy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    It's the same as "healthy competition" in camp when 2 players are fighting for a roster spot. When you have to do better than the other's best, it makes you better in the process.

And how many times have you heard a shut-down corner say he wants the other team's best wr?

These guys are wired for competition. Sure, they are ultimately striving for a W, but don't kid yourself and think that competing and beating the guy across from you, and collectively the team across from you, isn't the underlying motivation. And there is little satisfaction in beating someone who isn't at their best.

And lastly, the Pats. Would you rather beat the Pats with a backup qb or with Brady under center? Without Brady taking a beating, you simply get the desired W. WITH Brady taking the beating, you get the same W, but also a heaping boatload of satisfaction.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Lamar Jackson? Floater thrower and sooner or later he will be injured like all the other running QB's and will end up like...

Newton.png

Ben's contract is a killer for the next 2 years.

14. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    But you aren't looking for improvement in the playoffs. Hopefully they have already peaked, because otherwise they will lose to the other team that is at their peak. By the playoffs they are trying to make it across the finish line, before the previous 4 months of pounding catches up to them.

One of the reasons the Pats go so deep (besides Belichick and a good team) is that most years they play one less game and get to stay at home. That lets them play a bit harder each game, because they have more rest to recover between games.

Of course the players want to beat the best, in theory. But is that the reality?
    If a team has an all-pro corner on one side, and last year's Burns on the other, is a team going to deliberately pass at the all-pro (wanting to beat the best), or are they going to pick on the other team's weakness?

If there is a choice between the Steelers likely losing to a full-strength Pats (but putting up a good fight), and the Steelers managing to beat an injured and tired Pats team, I take the latter every time.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  15. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Drive safely and enjoy the game!

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I see what you're saying. Just a different perspective. In over 20 years of playing and coaching, I always wanted the best from the opposition. To be the best, you have to beat the best.

Along the way, I was HC of a high school crew team. I rowed in college and my daughter ended up rowing all 4 years in high school and got a scholarship to a D-2 school. My involvement with her led to me taking over the boys' team for a few years.

For long before I arrived, and for a little while after I joined the team, a rival high school was our nemesis. There wasn't much of a rivalry between the teams because we just weren't in their league. I set out to change that. It took 3 seasons (fall, spring, fall) of putting them in our crosshairs. I reminded my guys daily that they hadn't beaten "Marietta," yet. We wrapped their school's colors around an old oar and waited until the day we beat them to remove it.

The following spring our 8 and 4 boats both beat Marietta at a regatta they hosted. Our 8 went on to win nationals and the 4 was runner up that season.

My point is that without the very best from your competition, you'll never reach yours.

• Like Like x 1