1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

More good news for Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelTerp, Jul 15, 2012.

1. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    To be fair to Mendy and Spaeth, when 2 or 3 defenders come crashing through the line, there`s nothing they can do. Both Mendy and Spaeth are fine blockers, the line was the problem.

3. SteelTerp

Oct 26, 2011
    if 2-3 guys crash through the Guards it doesn't count as a "sack given up" by the running back, it would count towards the olinemen who gave up the sack. Also Spaeth plays on the line itself so that argument doesn't even apply to him

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Meh, I'd say that will have little positive bearing on this year for Ben IMO, not that those stats are very telling of the individual's blocking performance. Spaeth didn't play a down for us last year, so there's not much point in considering him. I'd say having a good replacement for Kemo will make a huge difference by far though.

Does anyone know where they get those stats for RBs and TEs?

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Mendy was a terrible blocker early in his career, he has gotten better, but we have been spoiled by some really good blocking RB's in the past.

The interior of the line was bad, but then Jaws on ESPN gave out a stat that was telling...I think it was in the last 4 years no QB has attempted more passe than Drew Breeze, and no QB has been sacked less. If Haley can teach Ben to get rid of the ball, we should be looking good.

6. SteelTerp

Oct 26, 2011
    they watch every player on every play, similar to what hugesnack did for us- except as a profession. they're credible, I've seen them quoted in both espn and nfl.com articles

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    what hurt mendy was the line. he never knew which lineman would let his man run free or block the wrong guy. mendy many a time had to come across the formation in front of ben to try and make a block. lets not forget all the times he rolled out to the flats as the option ben should have used and ben decided not to throw short. that happened alot. memo also saw alot of time on 3rd down, a usual passing down most of the time. the other 8 above mendy didn't have to play with a qb that likes to hold the ball either. alot of things would have to be factored in to these rankings. :cool: