1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Montez Sweat, OLB, Mississippi St

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Jan 23, 2019.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Wright in at the Senior Bowl at 6'6 252, with 35 5/8" arms and a 84 1/2" wingspan.

Highly productive player from the SEC.

He was listed during the season at 240 and is now up to 252. Was absolutely dominant at the Senior Bowl yeaterday.

He has to be on the radar and end the Bud Dupree era.

As much as I want a CB/S in the draft at #20, or even to make a trade and move up, the strength of this draft is on the Dline and pass rushers.

Montez Sweat is worth looking into.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I agree about looking into him. He definitely checks the “measurables” box!

I’d be curious to hear if Tomlin takes him out to dinner. Probably the best way to figure out if he also has the nasty temperament about him that most effective edge rushers possess.

Watching him rag doll that OL at senior bowl practice was awesome! While I don’t love the idea of going edge again in the draft, one thing our defense needs is a closer, regardless of position. If Montez is it, then yeah, pull the trigger freely.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes he definitely should throw his drink and dinner in Tomlins face and tell him to draft him if he wants to keep his job.....that will show him he means business :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Sadly my fellow draftnik friend, I would have to disagree with you on Sweat. Not doubting his production. Not denying his pass rushing talent either. My issue stems from the fact he seems more scheme limited than others make him out to be multi versatile.

He appears more so for a 4-3 alignment if anything. He has had experience standing up before. Of that much is not the issue. The current issue stems from our system asking our outside linebackers to drop at least 33% of a season's worth of snaps; T.J. dropping 34% in his rookie season. I do not think Montez would be well equipped to drop into coverage. For that matter, dropping Montez into coverage is playing his weaknesses and not strengths.

Assuming Pittsburgh ultimately elects to go full 4-3 based formations, their sub packages included, I doubt Sweat is a target. As much as I like him, he does not fit our system. That being said, even if we drafted Sweat, Keith Butler would find a way to ruin him.

5. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I would agree he likely is a 4-3 DE. However, despite the lack of experience, I think athletically he can stand up and drop into coverage. The combine will confirm or disprove this.

I wanted to make sure people were aware of him, because that wingspan is freakish and he has a 6'6 255lb frame that screams OLB. Whether he can do it or not is another question.

I still have the pair of CBs in Murphy and Baker as my top targets at #20 and likely still have Politte over Sweat at OLB anyhow.

Sweat just has that potential ceiling that screams all-pro. Those long arms off the edge are tantalizing.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    On the Terrible Podcast they said they thought Sweat would be more of a 4/3 DE FWIW.

7. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I tend to agree at this point.

However, I think he can make the transition. It's an unknown at this point.

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    While reading the notes the last couple days this is the first guy everyone has been talking about. If he has a good game and then a decent combine he imo could jump into the top 20.

9. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    On Tuesdays practice, he got his arms inside on Andrew Dillard, OT from Washington State, who will be a first a first round pick. Because of Sweat's long arms Dillard couldn't even get his hands on him. Sweat literally bench pressed him backwards on his way to the QB.

Not to mention the play where he absolutely rag dolled some poor small school OT.

I'm really looking forward to his movement skills at the combine to see if he can potentially stand up in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I did see the highlights posted...take a look:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/...-notes-nfl-draft-montez-sweat-bengals-coaches

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I think the concern over his coverage ability shouldn't trump his ability to get to the QB. We typically drop our ROLB more than the left. Not that I want to keep jumping Watt from side to side but he did play the left just last year. He is a better coverage guy anyway. Woodley wasn't exactly the most athletic OLB but he got to the QB and was stout against the run and wasn't exactly a big liability in coverage. I think the bigger concern should be finding guys who can consistently win on the edge ,this way we don't need smoke and mirrors to get sacks. Let the guys who get paid to cover,cover and get our OLBs back to terrorizing QBs.

We already have one half of the equation. If Sweat continues his ascent he shouldn't be ruled out because of his perceived 4-3 designation. In fact I think his size and versatility to play with his hand in the dirt sometimes ,should be looked at as a asset. Let's see how the process goes,including the combine.
    Maybe he can be Watts bookend and we can save 9 mil. along the way. Still a long ways to go in the process.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Adderly's name as well....

• Like Like x 1
  13. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yes, excellent post.

Sometimes you just have to focus on what a guy does well instead of what he doesn’t. Especially when that’s rushing the passer. Most of the time, as long as you move backwards into a zone, it’s enough to scare away non-elite quarterbacks. And if we’re playing an elite guy just pin the ears back and GO!

• Like Like x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm pretty sure Denver isn't concerned with Von Miller in coverage

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That is the biggest issue. Our scheme really does concern itself with pass rushers dropping into coverage. Rather, Keith Butler simply doing too much and not enough.

Again, as I said, Montez Sweat is someone I would like to have. With a good combine showing, nevermind would like, I would love to have him. The issue is getting to the Quarterback is his M.O. Having him doing anything other than that impedes his development and ultimately defeats the purpose of drafting him.

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well hopefully Sweat will be around much longer than Butler and Tomlin for that matter since he has a major hand in the scheme as well. Like I said you can have him as the LOLB who is asked to cover less. If they can't/don't start using the players in the way that best accentuates their skills it's time to go. We have to start drafting more ready made football players. I don't think a guy like Sweat would embarrass himself in coverage. Woodley never did....

• Like Like x 1
  17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I will be honest. I like the kid. Have seen him a lot. Makes a lot of plays against lesser talent. Kinda like Dupree did. He is a good high character guy with a non stop motor.

Wouldn't hate the pick just afraid we have bigger needs. Like the backend of defense

• Like Like x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That is another issue. Is the selection on Montez Sweat going to be good or bad? The good news is Sweat has half of those questions answered all by himself. The bad news is the other half is decided on what Keith wants to do with him.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Read something about Dupree inexplicably being a no show without prior notice at the SeniorBowl after he had been invited. Kinda odd. Maybe he knew he would be exposed back then against quality players.

20. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think I read then he was not wanting to risk injury and was actually good dropping to a better team. I may be wrong and no way I can remember where I read it. I do think it was something like that though