1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Moncrief: "my worst game ever"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Edit: Others pointed out that it was reported, but suddenly it's an issue? It still sounds like he is just making excuses for playing like garbage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They definitely need to give Conner the ball and get him going forward instead of sideways. It's tougher to do without Nix, but it shouldn't be impossible with that offensive line.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Fittipaldo did a break down of the line and his conclusion was that for all the praise heaped upon them, they really aren't a good run blocking line. They are built for pass protection.

Which makes sense with needing to protect Ben and their desire for an arial attack.

Definitely shouldn't be running towards AV's side, weakest link. AV's too tall and Foster is getting old.

4. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Especially last Sunday... AV had an awful game. He couldn't get anchored.

As for Moncrief, I can't understand why a guy with a finger issue, gets the start and more targets than JW. After the first couple of clanks, maybe a change was in order?

5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Like Oakland last year?

6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    So how did leveon manage to do what he did with this same line?

• Like Like x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    AV certainly struggled last game but I remember tons of counters run to his side in the past that always produced sizable gains. AVs weakness actually appears to be pass blocking based on past success running his direction.

Moncrief was terrible as well . We’ll see how he can redeem himself. As far as JW they’ve yet to realize that he is so much more capable than just running deep. You can’t have a WR just do one thing and expect him to be open. Not to mention those are low, percentage plays to start with especially since they have no chemistry because of lack of repetition. The D knows what he’s gonna do and they are playing off of him. You have to make them pay for that by getting him the ball sooner. Then when they have to play closer you can beat them deep. It’s common sense. WRs need to get in a flow kinda like RBs. 4 targets all deep low percentage plays aren’t the way to find your No. 2 receiver.
    JW showed he’s more versatile than just a deep threat during PS. They need to try and do the same when it really counts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Never mind LB. Conner was running wild as well last year until he got injured. Heck J Sam ran for 135yds last year against NE. It’s a mindset as well. You have to want to do it. We don’t seem to want to.....

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Same as Conner. As you like to say, two things can be true.

By the way, ding dong hurt his shoulder, getting an MRI today. Told you being away from football for a year and a half wasn't a good idea.

10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I agree that wasnt the best thing especially at his position for him to be a productive football player. He did look pretty good last week though for a guy who hadn't played in almost 2 years.

11. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm an AV fan and it was hard to believe how many times I saw him on skates, especially early in the game. I'm sure it was just an off night. And I agree about the run plays... He's an athletic big man that can get out in front and do some damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    we should move Moncrief to safety, he's very adept at batting balls and breaking up pass plays...

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Dislocated finger eh?! Very intriguing. Here is why I believe what Donte Moncrief stated was not just a move to save face. I believe this is something very disturbing about him as a whole and a situation that should be monitored moving forward.

Some see this as an excuse. Others see this as a potential problem that can extend itself later down the line. Personally, I see it as being selfish. Here is why.

Why play through an injury that DIRECTLY affects your ability to assist the team?! For that matter and, to even make it worse, why use that to save face for such a poor performance?!?! This team was supposed to be "cleansed" of "ME FIRST" players and focused on "TEAM" players.

Moncrief attemtping to play through this is not assisting anyone. Moncrief admitting to everyone that a critical injury stymied his performance did not absolve anyone. All Moncrief showcased to me was he wants to win....

However, he wants to win so long HE is a contributing factor. That is not a team player. That is a player who is self abosrbed.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Or, he could have been feeling pressure to perform after signing the offseason contract, and effectively replacing AB in the starting lineup, and believed that he could do it. He wouldn’t be the first player to ever feel the pressure to overcome an injury. I hold the coaching staff responsible. They make the decisions on who plays. A guy who feels pressure to perform shouldn’t have to tap out if the coaches are doing their jobs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I disagree.

Moncrief is a veteran player; playing more games than any receiver in that locker room the same. Pressure should not be a factor for a veteran when playing games. For that matter, if he was under pressure to do so, that would have me even more concerned for pressure equates to doubts about oneself. More importantly, that is not my biggest issue here.

Playing through an injury overall is not the issue I have here. Playing through an injury that affects performance; possibly team performance, is another issue all together. Moncrief had two crucial drops due to that injury. Dislocated finger injuries for Wide Receivers are a slippery slope already. Why compound the issue?!

I am not going to chalk that up to inefficient play calling. I also cannot chalk that up to inefficient play by Ben within those two instances. I am chalking that up to Moncrief not making the sacrifice to allow other players to get more opportunities for the team to succeed.

Self sacrifice is an attribute a collective group of individuals must have for their team to have success. There are other factors no question, luck especially and among them but the ability to understand that what one is doing is hurting the team and the ability to realize that their fellow teammate could contribute more is immense.

Pittsburgh knows this all too well; six super bowl titles being their evidence. Selfessness, desire and perseverence. That is what it takes.

Bear in mind that I am not suggesting that Moncrief will not contribute to assist in a meaningful way. I still believe he can. I simply do not support nor like his response to his poor performance.

Simply accepting the fact that he did not play well would have been more than sufficient. Using an injury is more than a cop out to me. Just my two cents.

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Derek Jeter used to say. If you’re healthy enough to play, and you’re on the field , there are no excuses ....
    It’s weak to bring it up, luckily he has time to make up for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Moncrief is a veteran decoy. Imagine if Moncrief sat out because of this lingering hand issue. Our receiving corps would be red meat to a pack of wolves. Juju, Washington, Johnson, Switzer, Holton. We need him in their as an experienced NFL receiver at the least. I get it the hand issue is troublesome, remember when Coates played through his hand issue? It ruined his career trying to be a tough guy to play through the pain. I can only hope that Moncrief can heal from this and be 100% because we need him in there, at least as an experienced receiver. This coming up week against the Seahawks is a critical game as far as team morale goes. I am pulling for Moncrief to heal and play better (not going to speculate on selfish character issues) just heal and play better. (period)

18. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Most players are going to try and play through injury. When it is obvious to all that his performance is hurting the team then it is the coach who has to step in and pull the player out of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah but he only refuses to put our QB in when we need him(Oak) but leaves him out there to get beaten from pillar to post (SF) a few years back. I think Tomlin is stuck in Spongebobs Opposite Day

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The biggest knock on Moncrief when he was in Indy is that he was always injured. Hope that is not the case here.

21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Nah... Ding Dong said before the 1st game he could handle FIFTY carries a game...He must still be high

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    The Seattle secondary and safety position is not very good so there should be a lot of big play capabilities in this game for guys like Washington and Dionte Johnson who need to be used more then guys like Moncrief and Switzer in this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe since the backup qbs threw deep to jw all preseason Ben thought since he's the starter he could just step in and do it too without practice. Bottom line is the receivers have to make the catches and they have to make them across the middle. This is where Eli is missed. To worried about deep threats we have diminished our bread and butter. Johnson has to take this role as an outside and inside receiver. I think it's more foreign territory for moncrief. :cool:

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You’re right. There’s no threat in the middle of the field to occupy the Safeties. This allows them to play over the top to prevent deep passes to our outside guys. Eli seemed to fill a nice niche in the 10-20yd range. With our current stable of WRs JUJU would best be used in the slot with another threat like DJ in the middle of the field. If DJ is more comfortable on the outside right now I’m pretty sure JW can fill the role of something other than just a deep threat. He’s built solid and is a combat catcher. A double TE set would allow us to attack the seams and middle as well but they either have no desire to use it or no confidence in Grimble.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    i think dj/jw/juju triplets should be nice going forward

any injury to anyone though and probably screwed

yeah we are screwed lol