1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mock draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelcityclash, Mar 31, 2018.

1. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    It’s getting close to the draft... let’s get some interesting predictions. I’m hoping there will be some that won’t have Evans or Reid at 1. I’ll start

1. Harold Landry Boston College OLB

Fast with a Freakish first step and shows bend and dip move..something that Dupree hasn’t shown ability to do which causes him to get run up the arc over and over and over. After 16.5 sacks in 2016, regressed statistically due to multiple injuries in 2017. Steelers run up to the podium.

2. Ronald Jones II USC RB

Fast, elusive, good vision and has shown the ability to take it to the house. Keeps his legs churning. Pulled a hammy and didn’t work out at combine which could drop him. He’d be nasty to pair up with Bell for one year and possibly with Conner. Use him like Kamara and Ingram. May need to trade up slightly like they did for Bell.

3. Shaquem Griffin Central Florida OLB/ILB

Hard not to root for him. Athletic, timed 4.38 at combine. Non stop motor. Great acceleration, instincts, aggressive, uses good technique and tackles well. Despite his physical disability, he’s a baller. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. 2017 stats - 74 tackles,13.5 for loss, 7 sacks, 1 int. Undersized at 6’1 227lbs. Will need to get stronger at next level.

I would like him in the 4th but at the bottom of the 3rd if they want him they’ll probably need to draft him here.

5A. Quinn Blanding Virginia S

Tall with prototypical size at 6’2/ 215lbs. Durable, takes good angles, and sure tackler who had at least 115 tackles in each year played (4). Has experience in single high coverage. Slower 40 time in the 4.63, and tighter hipped. Lacks quickness. Will be depth at safety and has skills Mike Mitchell lacked.

5B. Quadree Henderson Pitt WR/ special teams

Top Special teams ace. Excelled as Punt kick returner. All time leader with 7 return scores. 2016 - lead FBS 1166 yards returned, 15.8 avg punt return, 30.5 yards per kick return. Small at 5’8 190lbs. Gets into top speed quickly. Not a good option as wr.

7a. Best OL available.

7b. Justin Watson Penn WR

6’3 215lbs, 4.39 40yd dash. 286 rec. 3777yd, 33TD..Steelers have shown interest

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    wouldn't be a bad way to go.:cool:

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    1.Vander Esch
    2.Justin Reid
    3.Anthony Miller
    5.Jeff Holland
    5.Kallen Ballage
    7.David Bright
    7.Parry Nickerson
    I like my mock better :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I like OLB Landry but I just don't think OLB is our biggest need but I could be wrong. It's tough to say. If Bostic and Barnett work out then Landry could be exactly what we need to upgrade Dupree. I think the team waits another year before drafting a replacement for Dupree.

I have a 1st round grade on RB Ronald Jones so I don't think he's going to be available at our 2nd pick but I would take him in a heart beat if he's there in the 2nd.

ILB Shaquem Griffin in the 3rd? Love his speed but I just think not having the left hand will really hurt him in the NFL.

Don't really know S Quinn Blanding. Think 4.63 is a real problem though.

WR Justin Watson in the 7th? There is some discrepancy in his 40 time, some sites say 4.39, some say 4.44, while others say 4.59, either way I think he goes higher than the 7th round.

5. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    Here’s my reasoning. I think with the signing of Bostic and Burnett allows the Steelers to take the best player available. Colbert has gone on record saying outside of a few (most likely referring to Edmunds, smith) he doesn’t see a lot of standout ILB. Many can do one thing well but lacks in other areas. He’s also referenced that He thinks there’s a lot of potential in some of the OLB prospects.
    My interpretation is he isnt willing to reach for an ILB or any other position in the first just out of need. No one knows who he likes; maybe he likes Evans or Vander Esch and grades them as first rd talent. To me they are borderline 1st/ possibly second round talent.

OLB is def. a need and bottom line, they desperately need playmakers at a few positions. Landry can flat out get to the QB. He possesses pass rushing skills no one on this team has. When blitzing he is able to fluidly bend and dip at exceptional speed when attacking the edge and is able to get to the QB. Top linebackers have this ability, Von Miller is one of the best At doing this. Also has several countermoves in his arsenal. He would have been a top 10 pick last year but returned to school and his season suffered due to injuries. My guess is they view him like Tuitt who has exceptional first rd talent and dropped only due to injuries. We say we want to get better at playing situational football. As a rookie, allow him to use his talents. Put him in key situations when You need to get to the QB.

Dupree has not shown enough. He is average at both covering and containing the run, but he is below average at rushing the passer. He allows the tackle to completely push him out of plays way too often. I honestly can’t remember a single splash play last year. It seemed that he was invisible for most games. Dupree either puts it all together, reaches his potential and earns his keep or we will have a serious hole that will need addressed. Worst case the Steelers pick up his fifth year only because we have no other option and can’t rely on a rookie.

Jones very well could go in the first, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Barkley, Guice, Michel, go before him.

Fair point on Griffin, but he’s been under estimated his whole life and has been pretty successful. He plays with heart. Wants to prove everyone wrong. I like players who play with conviction.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd have to say it's very unrealistic that those players make it to those spots. Holland? A 4.79 LB? You complained about worley running a 4.86, you know there isn't much difference there. Maybe a gnats eyelash. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    By the time the 5th rd comes around it might be best OLB available, Holland in that spot good value IMO.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ronald Jones has had a bad offseason, injured at the combine didn't run the 40. He dropped passes at pro day, didn't run either. I also heard some teams have been put off by him during interviews. He would have to run a blazing 40 time before the draft to be considered as a first round pick.

9. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
  10. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    Here’s another one.

1. Jaire Alexander. CB Louisville
    2. Jessie Bates FS. Wake Forest
    3. Jerome Baker LB Ohio St.
    4. Royce freeman RB Oregan (Steelers trade up: PIT 5b. 165, PIT 7b. 246, PIT 2019 5th for SF 4th 128)
    5a. Joshua Frazier DL Alabama
    7a. J’Mon Moore WR Missouri

Addressing Secondary is checked off. Expectations should be a greatly improved going forward and The new DB coach has an opportunity to finally make this a strength of our D.

Our new DL coach has an opportunity to develop Frazier along with our vet DL.

I still have a terrible feeling the Steelers still wan5 to sign Bell. Freeman is insurance and depth.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018