1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mitchell’s Late Hit/Roughing Call on A. Smith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Clive From PIT, Oct 16, 2017.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He's not getting suspended.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes but plays much more egregious happen to Ben every couple games and despite our whining about it here those players rarely even get a fine. Ben was hit in the head after throwing the ball in this same game and they never even threw a flag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. swann_88

swann_88 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    his hit that put west out
    was very late and helmet to helmet
    if I was giving out fines that's the one he would get a fine for

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It was definitely a flag, he might get fined... I don't think there was crazy malicious intent. Looked like he either got pushed/tripped a bit on his initial dive and tried to let up because he knew it would probably be low/late. But whatever.

Funny that Bengals fans complain like he's as bad as Burfict... funny thing is that PFR has a detailed description of career flags lol Mitchell has been in the league since '09 and has 6 unnecessary roughness calls, 1 generic personal foul and 1 roughing the passer.... Burfict on the other hand has been in the league since '12 and has 13 unnecessary roughness, 2 personal foul, and 2 roughing the passer calls (and hat doesn't even include his preseason shenanigans). He had the same amount of unnecessary roughness in 2013 as Mitchell has had in his entire career. They are not on the same planet.

Mitchell has never been a guy that I've thought tries to injure people, but his whole game is built around bringing the pain. He's gonna get a few here and there. It wasn't a great hit, he knows it, and I honestly believe he wasn't out there trying to injure Smith for any reason. He will be fine.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Mitchell isn't close to Burfict. Bengals fans are just desperate to defend their love for that dirtbag.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. That was worse than the hit on Smith.

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That works out to less than 1 penalty per season for Mitchell, yet some people act as if he's a penalty machine.

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's garbage.

West was still going for the first down and had defenders on his legs already. He doesn't come in with that hit its a first down. He didn't even lead with the crown he tried to come in shoulder first.

9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I mean he's been flagged for other things, I was just highlighting the flags that can be called "dirty"... he's had PI calls, face mask, and offsides and stuff of that nature too.

He's also been fined multiple times for taunting, but that's another story altogether haha

10. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Yeah the sane Bengals fans who cheer Burfict, guess they have a lot of first hand knowledge of what a dirty player looks like.

• Like Like x 1
  11. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I was honestly calling for his head when I saw the play in real-time, but yeah, that wasn't dirty at all.

12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Dirty or not IDK if it get Mitchell off the field it will only help us..........:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Bengals fans encourage Steelers players to get hurt, it’s crazy how low they stoop. But oh yea squealers are the dirty ones and we are the darlings of the nfl.

They are just mad we constantly beat them, and they are a waste of a team because they never do anything

14. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I see how it's possible that he was falling and it was unintended. I still think the league fines him though because of how "late" the hit was.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing!

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We have the best ranked pass defense so how much of a liability is he? I think Mitchell gets a bad rap. Guy never misses a game and averages 70 tackles a year.

Couple weeks ago I thought he looked like a fool for his over the top reaction to making a tackle but overall, I dont have a problem with him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Must not be much going on with the Bengals if the radio people in Cincinnati want to talk about what the Steelers players are doing... :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Chiefs were holding all game long...I'm surprised no one got nut-checked!!! Maybe they did who knows!!!:shrug:

19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    What I can't believe is that in today's NFL we have to sit and discuss this. This stuff happens all the time. If I cared about any other team I bet I could show you a similar hit in each game played every week in the NFL. Yes, some are obvious and deserve the attention, but those plays stand out leaving no question. Hell, everyone and their brother is discussing Mitchell's "hit" which means it really isn't that clear or obvious, which means it is part of the game. If anything, I think Alex Smith should be fined for being a drama queen about the hit. The guy likes to take off running whenever he can opening himself up for a defender to come at him at 100 mph but wants to act like someone stole his Barbie car with blow up Ken doll on that play...give me a break!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  21. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    So what day of the week does Goodell announce fines and suspension?

22. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It's often on Wednesdays, I believe.

23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I know reinstatements are on the sixth Tuesday of the month.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    If Chick pushed mitchell then we all need to stop blaming mitchell. I don't like his play at times but wasn't him this time

25. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Whether or not this hit was dirty, I just don't like MM. That fool celebrates a hit even when the opposing player makes a big first down; he did it last week when Fournette waved him to come on as he was rounding the corner. MM makes the tackle, but gave up a 1st down and proceeded to act like he won on the play. I can't stand such Jack-assery. If this was a better coached team, you would not see that kind of behavior. He's been doing it for years. Next draft, they need to draft a S to replace him.

• Agree Agree x 2