1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mitchell’s Late Hit/Roughing Call on A. Smith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Clive From PIT, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Lots of buzz about this hit:

Of course, Chiefs fans and Bengals fans are calling for his head.

I dunno. Looks to me like:
    1. Chickillo pushes him in the back.
    2. Mitchell’s right foot clips Chick’s, tripping Mitchell.
    3. Where Mitchell’s falling is clear space when he starts going down; Smith is backpedaling toward the same spot.
    4. MItchell makes zero attempt to wrap up Smith.
    5. Mitchell’s hand(s) go up AS HE’S FALLIING, the same ways all players’ do when they’re trying to show lack of intent.

Thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Even before reading your post I thought the same thing watching the clip, Chick tripped him.

Dont know who the heck Dan Hanzus is but he obviously hasnt seen a lot of dirty plays if he thinks thats as dirty as it gets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    I can easily see a suspension coming for him.
    Can't make this kind of things to your colleagues

Is this somehow related?

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Beat me to it. :hi:

Was going to post the same. Likely a suspension is coming.....

.... And "#WhoDeyNation" will be relishing in the "oxymoronic hypocrisy" as well...

• Like Like x 1
  5. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Thing is, this is not the first time Mitchell plays close to the border of the rulebook.
    He has costed us several 15 yard penalties (some of them in critical situations, some others giving life to previously dominated opposite offenses)

If the league suspends him, I'm ok with it. And he should learn.
    This is not about if we like the current rulebook. It's about if we understand that, playing so close to the limit hurts our team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Can we be equally moronic as the Chiefs and Bengals fans complaining about this? If he hadn't been such a coward and took the hit like a man instead of trying to duck out of it. What kinda man calls himself a football player and then doesn't take a perfectly legit sack and complains when it looks like he got hurt because he wasn't a man, I mean really.

7. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Sorry Dan but Mitchell was tripped up and shoved by Chick.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    If I set my Steeler fan`s bias aside and ask myself if that was a guy hitting Ben like that, I would say it was 100% intentional and illegal and the perp must be fined and maybe suspended. He could have taken Smiths knee(s) out for the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If you watch you can even see his left toe bouncing off the ground as him and Chick are separating.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah like when Ngata broke his nose, or three Eagles player twisted him three different directions before the whistle or Burfict speared him in the back on the ground. Damn get me my pitchfork and torch I want some heads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I saw a lot of this yesterday. This guy has such a hard on for Mitchell. Mitchell was pushed while running. WTH was he supposed to do? Defy the laws of physics?

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm sure a fine will happen. I don't think this is worthy of a game suspension.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Looked "accidentally" intentional to me but that angle isn't the best. Luckily Smith wasn't hurt which is a good thing for Mitchell and I would think that saves him suspension but not the fine.

14. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I disagree, i think a 1 game suspension is coming, and i think it is warranted.
    Lets do this test. If that was Ben and someone hit him like that everyone on this board would be calling for a suspension and calling the player dirty.
    When i watched this hit, to me there is no question it was a little dirty. It was just way to late. I dont think Mitchell is a dirty player i just think he got carried away on that play, and it warrants a 1 game suspension.

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Suspending him isn't a penalty, it's a blessing.:lolol:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Chickillo pushed Mitchell down.

17. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Watching the Monday night countdown and I'd like to thank Charles Woodson for being the only non gutless talking head on the panel. Hearing Hasselback and Rex Ryan put in their two cents was a joke.

18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I live in Cincinnati and listen to am radio on my way home from work. They are going berzerk over here calling for at least a 3 game suspension starting this week since Burfect was fined and suspended over a less of a hit.

Honestly, I think Tuitts hit on Smith earlier in the game was worse. It was nearly the same hit that broke Rodgers collarbone a few hours earlier.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I strongly disagree. Just watched it again for the umpteenth time and didnt see anything dirty about that. He didnt even hit him in the knee, landed behind his calf and basically tripped Smith up as a result.

Ill be surprised it there is a fine let alone suspension.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I have only seen the one angle where some O linemen are partially blocking the view of what happens. Based on that one angle, I think it's a play where the viewers can see what they want to see based on bias. Hopefully the All-22 end zone view will stay on the play long enough to see a different angle.

21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Whats was lost on that play was how bad Mitchell woofed on the blitz. He even takes bad angles when he blitzes. He was not touched and completely missed the QB. He should of had a sack, and thats probably why we dont see him blitzing much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The hit that took out Rogers was legal. McCarthy and Packers fans need to stop whining about it.

A hit below the knee is not legal, though it does look like Mitchell was tripped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    This is bull crap!

Ben took a much more intentional hit below the knees just a week prior and there wasn't even a call made and no fine or suspension!

24. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Live I could tell he was tripped by the way he fell. If you watch it you can see him stumble and then fall. No one is going to jerk slightly and then dive on purpose the way he does in the video. But if they suspend him we have Wilcox to basically do the same thing he does.

25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I never said it was not legal. It was brutal as was Tuitt's hit on Smith. I guarantee though that they will call those same plays as penalties the rest of the season just because it was Aaron Rodgers who is now lost or the season. If it was Marsha, then it would have been flagged, fined and overly suspended or perhaps even an lifetime expulsion from the league.