1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mitch regretting his decision to sign with the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Animus, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Steelers QB2 Mitch Trubisky Admits Regret In Decision To Sign So Quickly In Pittsburgh - SteelerNation.com

To be fair, I really don't blame Mitch for feeling some kind of way. I do think that Tomlin mishandled this situation. But on the other hand, I can see how one can give Mitch a short leash. The guy really was never a good starter, an adequate one to below average one.

I'd love to trade him, but I really just don't see a market, even if it's just a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick. Tough sell when the Steelers would likely release him anyways and that contract that comes with him.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    That's funny. Someone who loses his job to a rookie is whining about being given an opportunity. I'd immediately elevate Rudolph to the #2 spot and tell Mitch to stay home today.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    He had his chance to win the job and/or impress the job market. It's not like anyone was going to sign him to be QB1.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Exactly and at $14,000,000 for 2 seasons he should really learn to keep his mouth shut. I'd cut him before he even pulled up the stadium today. Another product of the entitled generation.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Mitch never had a chance with major handcuffs put on him. Seemed he was playing scared and unsure. Just don't turn it over. The trickster was in full force at that time. Now we have a power running attack and a scaled down offense without a lot of bells and whistles. In which I believe was not Canada's doing. Tomlin made the right choice with Pickett.

Mitch showed he can play but as far as your 17 game and beyond starter he misses the mark.

The issue is that if they decide to trade him they will have to eat some of the salary he is owed which is 10,625.000. Cut him and the dead cap is 2,650.000. Unless he can bring a 5th at the minimum he's got to go.

Was watching Dobbs play last night and he looked pretty good. Maybe bring him back for another stint. He is an UFA. And would cost peanuts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Nice honest comments by Mitch.
    Mitch was doomed the minute they drafted Pickett. Plus I’m not sure anyone was going to thrive in our offense the first half of the season.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No thanks to Dobbs. I’d keep Trubisky over signing Dobbs.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Trubisky's career in a nutshell was the first Ravens game. He moved the team up and down the field with some really good throws but he threw 3 killer picks that lost the game. That's the way his career has gone, some really good moments and some terrible moments.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    should have played better. :shrug::cool:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Sour grapes, and rightfully so.
    He had his opportunities here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don’t at all think Mitch was a long term answer for the Steelers, but the way our offense was playing early wouldn’t have benefited either one.
    I wonder if the Roles were reversed and Pickett started the season would Mitch have done better coming in later in the season?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    mitch did come in later and still looked pretty similar to how he started. that's my thinking anyway. i'm not sure his arrow is pointing up but KP has some room to grow only being a rookie. mitch is what he is at this point. i really wouldn't mind them drafting another mid round or later guy. not sure just some backup vet addition will really help KP more than sullivan already will. keep some fresh products on the shelves. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I get it. Just saying Mitch was kinda in a no win situation with us drafting a QB in the first round and our offense not clicking early this season.

14. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    I'd like to have that kind of regret.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i guess we have to ask if kenny started them clicking or would mitch have had the same affect. i don't know but mitch coming off the bench and looking bad, being a vet and all. that's why we picked him up because of his vet presence. even coming in cold he should have looked better. he did go through preseason as the top dog, so he is familiar with the gang. and no i don't think mitch is that bad but he has moved around for a reason. what we have seen is the reason i believe. is that worth 10 mil. a year? who knows? :cool:

16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Or Mason, who already beat him out for the job once already. JMO>

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Team is fighting for a playoff spot this weekend and he is airing grievances. See ya Mitch.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    These guys need to air this bs out in the off-season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Mitch should have understood that he was not being brought in to be the next long-term QB of the Steelers unless he lit it up and proved himself to be a franchise QB. It would have taken a breakout season where he played the best ball of his career in 2022 to hold onto that position long-term. Mitch was brought in as a short-term filler until our next QB was ready to see the field. He was the guy they brought in because the team felt that he was the best short-term option compared to others like Rudolph, Mariota, etc. and because he fit what the team was looking for in terms of mobility to move around the pocket and the occasional run. They also probably liked that he had some upside and could be a bit of a lottery ticket if he elevated his game. In hindsight I think Brissett was a better fit, but I didn’t think so at the time. I don’t think any other short-term QB would have performed any better in the situation. Mitch walked into a very tough situation with an offensive line that was still a couple of months away from gelling. The run game was non existent, and his protection was lacking. Also, Canada’s play calling and passing game design were awful. I think they have improved somewhat over the course of the season. I have no idea whether Mitch was handcuffed from improvising and running early on, but the structure of the offense early in the year was disjointed, and it was likely a combination of factors including his own play.

Mitch is partly to blame, but his circumstances weren’t the best. I don’t think that the team handled things poorly at all though. He had the opportunity to earn the starting job for all of 2022. All he had to do was play as well as he did in his second season in Chicago.

• Like Like x 1
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's a team issue, imo. Anyway, Mitch's offseason may never turn back on.

21. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    See: Ravens at Pittsburgh.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    LMAO..."do some more research":facepalm:

Agent: Steelers are offering $14 million. You have no other offers.
    MT: OK, sounds good

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Mitch has been a pretty safe player his whole career. He doesn't really take a lot of risks, which has kept his turnovers at a very respectable level, but he just doesn't do enough good things. He's just so vanilla, which is apparently why Tomlin liked him so much. So I get his frustration. He is who he is, Tomlin asked him to continue to be that way, he did his job and Tomlin benched him anyway. It's not like Mitch was asked to air it out and couldn't. He was asked to play safe which is what he did. A safe QB and a lack of running game resulted in a terrible offence. Not sure what else our coaches were expecting.

While I don't care one bit about Trubisky, I really think our coaches hung him out to dry. He never had a chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I do believe Mitch just came in again in the 1st Ravens game, and not only $hit the bed, but gave us our only loss on our current winning streak....or has everyone forgotten that???:shrug:
    He is a backup...period.
    I still laugh at people sticking up for Trubisky with 60 NFL games under His belt , but not Mason with not even a season. LoL

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I saw it.