1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mitch break down (coaches film with images). "Mash report"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Ha! This is exactly what I was going to also ask for after yesterday where the Pats were doing some type of scheme as if they were in a prevent defense dictating the offense to be patient.

It is not like this was exactly Air Coryell to begin with so I am surprised they had to nuke our splish splash attack but it worked. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Well done! Much appreciated. More plays to be had for sure. We need to see if Pickett can make them before really changing much else.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don’t forget that people like Charlie Batch have said Canada doesn’t give you a lot of freedom, so when you see Trubisky throwing a check down to Najee for 2 yards and Muth open over the middle that could very well have been where he was told to go. This was discussed last year with Ben and now this year with Trubisky which is interesting because one of the things Trubisky said about playing in Buffalo was appreciating how much freedom they give you and that Allen could do things with the play calling that he could never do in Chicago. Fast forward to the Steelers, that could be why he is feeling frustrated, like man here we go again with this stuff.

If Canada is doing that with veterans how much more suffocating would he be with a rookie.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I'm wanting to see pickett because i think he can make a lot of those red marks to being green. And extending plays would have helped a lot for game 1.

5. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Ben, I believe. Mitch doesn't get that respect from me though. When there's receivers waving at him and he does to being Michael Vick, i blame mitch.

6. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    I share this concern but we just don't know. Much like the Najee thread, where it's clear he's making some wrong decisions, some of this is just being a really young/new unit, some is fixable, some may be player short comings, and some may be coaching dictates. Tough to figure out what's what.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    6. so starts with collapsing pocket. however has a dump pass or a long pass to the right. but decides to hold.... then 88 is wide freaking open. and tru even sees him. but what does he do? he plays michael vick to holding the ball to trying to make him the star.... yes he got the first down. but 88 would have been far better. or even from the start to lower right would have been better. or heck even the dump pass.... but nope tru wants to be michael vick.
    even look at the last image. 88 waves forever and tru is even looking at him. but fails to make a 20 yard throw that would have turned into a huge gain

43.PNG 44.PNG 45.PNG

7. 4 options. but he went with the easiest of a dump pass on a THIRD down??? I get it, it is easy clean and you hope the player makes the move. but good grief first downs were all over the field in options.

46.PNG

This upset me the most.

8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The all22 confirmed what I believed to be true. Mitch simply missed open guys as well as throws. In fact, I'm convinced that he did see many of them, he just chose not to throw it. That's the story of his career and seems to also be why Tomlin likes him. I can't help but think that Tomlin is also preaching playing safe.

It feels like Jeff Fisher is coaching this team. Rather than take chances and maybe have mistakes cost us the odd game, Tomlin would prefer to play it so safe that we end up losing due to lack of scoring and likely miss the playoffs. I mean, we're a fringe team at best anyway, but why not go for broke? What do we have to lose?

He's literally living in his fears. The dude does the opposite of all the dumb **** he says

• Like Like x 3
  9. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I didn't look into that thread much. Due to I already seen stuff.

Harris was not bad. He just double guessed instead of trusting the line, the OC and his first play.

That is all quickly fixable.

10. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Look at the post above. He clearly looked at 88 and didn't throw. He wanted to be Michael vick.

11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Tomlin better stop playing it safe or he'll have his first losing season.

12. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    How is Tomlin playing it safe? This is Canada and mitch problems.

13. 1stCavVet

1stCavVet Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2021
    Great read Mash! Appreciate the time and effort you put into this

14. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Disagree, at least partially. Yes, this is typical Mitch Trubisky. This is what the Steelers knew they were getting when they signed him and they were obviously okay with it. This is who he is and they would have seen it in pre-season and camp, and they were okay with it. When they picked him as the starter, they basically admitted they were okay with who he is. That is all Tomlin. Tomlin picks the starting QB. Tomlin hired the OC. Tomlin dictates everything that happens with the team. If an assistant does something, then it's on Tomlin to change it if needed. If he doesn't, he's condoning it.

But beyond that, Tomlin has made several comments about playing it safe, not throwing deep and not turning the ball over. Plus we've seen this game plan for years now, including 2 different OC's and several different QB's. Clearly this is Tomlin's mindset.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    For those who have an Athletic subscription. This is the offence Tomlin wants. It's pretty clear.
    https://theathletic.com/3594036/2022/09/14/mitch-trubisky-steelers-matt-canada/

For those who don't have a subscription, here's a quote from the article.

16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    This saves me some editing, I have a bunch of game film but I am retired and only do for a hobby...

In all clips, Mitch is operating in safe mode.
    He is not throwing receivers open....
    There is not threat to stretch the field.is passing log is
    His passing log is full of <10 yds.

That said, the gameplan is to execute 'extended handoffs' to get the ball into playmakers hands faster.
    The problem is, he's not taking shots.

Harris, I don't have an issue with him.
    At some point I'll have some breakdowns of the why's and how's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Well, I’ll speak for myself but I certainly think it’s great to utilize your skill set to this board. It brings an added dimension of knowledge we can use.
    I would just keep to the analytics of showing what the photos reveal , let them speak for themselves, so to speak.

Keep this going particularly in our losses. It can help us understand the whys and what possible corrections can be made. Kudos to you!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  19. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I could get behind that if not for the fact that everyone in the league knows who Trubisky is. He was a massive bust considering his draft position. These struggles of his go back to his college days. Tomlin was obviously okay with it. You don't sign Brett Favre if you want to play it safe, just like you don't sign Trubisky if you want to air it out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Again... not all on Canada here. Trubisky is just as guilty here. Both are responsible.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Very well done Mashburn, the time you put into this is appreciated by more than just me I'm sure.
    I envy your passion, mine is blinded by disgust.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Nobody is saying ....
    Hey Mitch....don't throw 2 the open guys.......what people were saying last year was people were calling guys open....after the ball was released. You can't bring it back , and return it.....not the problem this year. You can clearly see guys running free, and they are actually upset about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree 100% on the first play. Any NFL QB has to see and make that throw. Even though he’s moving to his left and would be throwing across his body, ANY NFL QB should be able to do it.

The second play (the 4 option one) is a tougher one to blame entirely on Mitch. Option 1 would be contested. DJ is angling in behind the hook defender and the deep 3rd defender is moving up. Maybe you trust a guy like Mahomes to get over the hook defender and in front of the deep 3rd defender, but it’s a challenging throw for most QBs. If he’s not perfect on that throw, we’re all talking about a boneheaded throw into double coverage. Claypool is open, but he’s 4-5 yards short of the sticks (facing back up the field) and would need to catch the ball, and then turn and establish momentum upfield while 2 defenders converge and hit him probably during his turn. Maybe he gets it, but odds are not great. The best play is a back shoulder throw to Pickens. No idea if they’ve got enough chemistry yet to try that. In my view he really had Pickens or the check down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly..... for any of Us that watch Chicago .....this was a head scratcher, and something I've been bringing up since they signed Him.:thumbs_up: