1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Missed call by the ref cost us our health

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelcop, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    While I don't think it was on purpose, the refs blew the whistle on Shaizer's fumble instead of letting the play continue and then looking at it on replay (I believe this is the way they are supposed to handle it). If Shazier would have been allowed to score his touchdown as he really did we would have been up 22-0. This would have changed the game, including the hits by burfict at the 5 that injured Ben and the other on AB.

22-0 would have broken their spirits and allowed us to run the ball to end it. With Ben, AB and possibly Deangelo returning healthy, our trip to Denver would look a lot different. It's very frustrating when you see the game change off of a mistake by the zebras.

The only thing we can take solace in is we did beat the bungles and our guys MIGHT be back.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    a 50% Ben is better than Landry, IMO. Also, with Papa John's starting, there is just no way we can get beat deep. We just need to make sure we tackle well and be able to stop the run, as i think it will all be passes no more than 15 yards down the field. Just how i see it anyway

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe. For all we know, with the game out of hand, Burfict may have been even more egregious in trying to maim somebody.

I don't know why there was such a quick whistle on that play either though.

4. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    And Bengal fans are quick to point out that that should've been a penalty on Shazier.
    Right.
    Let's go with that. They missed the call that way.
    Same thing applies. If they get it right (the way Bengal fans think is right), the Steelers don't get the ball and Roethlisberger isn't sacked and hurt 3 plays later. That doesn't happen, the Steelers probably control the ball a lot better, keeping the Bengals O off of the field and making it harder for them to take the lead they way they did.
    So when you hear a Bungle fan complaining about the "missed" call on Shazier, agree and be pissed because it almost cost the STEELERS the game...

• Like Like x 1
  5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The refs blew that call. The play should have been allowed to continue and it should have been a TD. However, it was also an illegal hit. Outside of the tackle box, you are not allowed to lead with the crown of your helmet. This applies to offensive and defensive players. Shazier did lead with the crown of his helmet.

So lets not go blaming the refs for anything. We got a few calls that went our way that could have easily went the other way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I do not believe Shaizer's hit was worthy of a penalty but they could have thrown the flag too and still let the play go (I'm glad they didn't throw the flag). It is my understanding that when a possible fumble occurs they let the play go and then look at it upstairs. it's just frustrating when we are completely dominating a team and then a miss judged whistle and an injury lets them back into it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    I quit worrying about what ifs and what might have beens. The heart can only take so much and last nite was about a months worth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    They blew it on both sides IMO.... Shazier should have kept his head up... it was spearing in my book. They also f-ed up blowing the play dead... just as bad as the Brady->Edleman play earlier this year. Oddly they let Cam's fumble continue the play.

I'll be flabbergasted if that ref is given a shot again next year after these two games. Maybe they'll transfer him to the NFC East or AFC South ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016
    I am no expert when it comes to the rules, but it is my understanding that he was considered a RB at the time of the hit so therefor the hit was legal. I do know (or at least think I know), that RBs are not as protected as the WRs and they and the defenders can hit helmet to helmet.

That being said I will never say that a ref caused us a game...great teams overcome bad officiating and if we aint Great then we don't deserve to be there. I will complain about the refs, but that does not mean they caused us the game. I will also complain about the way the league office hands out fines they have NO excuse for not enforcing the rules.

10. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Shazier needs to evaluate how he hits players. I don't believe he has anything near as sinister as Burflict intent. But, plays like leading with his head is why he's been injured so much.

11. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    That's exactly right. That's how the Seahawks whopped them in the Superbowl. Peyton was scared to go deep- wouldn't give DT a chance.

Osweiler gives them a better chance to win IMO.