1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Minkah Fitzpatrick worth a 1st?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Nov 5, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Keep in mind he only played one full season as a Strong Safety at Virgina Tech. Much like Dupree, Edmunds needs time to grow. It took Bud this long to finally unlock his potential.

I would imagine that it could be another year for Terrell.

2. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    The trade was a good one, considering that the Steelers are plain awful at drafting and developing defensive backs. Never figured out why. Assuming they were going to draft a free safety in the first round next year, and that is a reasonable though not certain assumption, there is a slim chance that they would get someone as effective as MF is now. Some of it may be a byproduct of who they are playing, but it sure seems like he has drastically cut down the opponents’ long passing game.

3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Quadrupleyoi.

Yeah, more than likely the following would have unfolded in next year's draft: (1) We were going to draft a safety. (2) Management would have screwed it up given their horrendous track record for drafting secondary personnel. STEELWINDS

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That was another reason I hated the pick. The Steelers went into that draft thinking of themselves as Super Bowl contenders. Their window with Roethlisberger was already closing in on the end, yet they spent their first-round pick on a project who most people had rated outside the first round. The combination of the many lower draft ratings, the lack of interceptions that final year at Virginia Tech and the fact that he was expected to take time to contribute that had me disagreeing so strongly with the selection.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, I am quite certain Woodson was faster, even moreso if you compare them to their peers rather than one another. Athletes continue to get bigger and faster due to a variety of factors including improved nutrition and conditioning and ...chemistry.

6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Formerscribe.

Yes, the words "Project" and "First Round" together make me cringe, as with Edmunds. I expect, and we need, our 1st rounders to contribute ASAP. Dupree is the typical reason for this. By the time they figure it out, it can be the last year of a contract. By then, we have put in all of the hard work to get them NFL ready for some other team to offer them a more lucrative contract and reap the fruits of our hard work. So, maybe we have their service for one decent year and away they go. Then again, maybe if we had some coaches that were actual "Teachers" this process would not take as long. STEELWINDS

7. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Sorry, but I just have to laugh at that. So you are saying that Woodson is faster if you compare him to his peers and not to Minkah. Wow. That's some airtight logic right there, my friend.

And then, to further prove your point, you state that athletes, like Minkah, continue to get bigger and faster than their predecessors, like Woodson. Dude, if I ever get sued, I want you to represent me. You could make a rock sing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Now go back and read my post accurately, which you failed to do the first time.

Woodson in his prime was faster. If you could line them up for a race, Woodson would win it.

Your argument was the one with a logical fallacy in it. You provided a static for Fitzpatrick without a comparable stat for Woodson. That makes your evidence useless.

My other point was that it is more relevant to compare players to their peers when you compare across generations. When you do that, Woodson’s advantage is even greater.

Don’t sell yourself short. Aside from the failure in reading comprehension and the logical fallacy, you did fine.;)

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As I told you.

Leave him be.

*** Edit. Or not?! ***

10. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Close, but no cigar.

If you care to, please point out where I stated that Woodson was faster. I asked if he was. There's a subtle difference between asking a question and making a statement that a lot of english-as-a-second-language people like yourself struggle with. This is a little trick they will teach you at the reading annex if you ever try to work on your english skills. A question is most often followed by a special symbol called a quesion mark. It looks like this "?". Hope that helps.

Next, again if it suits you, please point out where I attempted to used Minkah's accomplishment to somehow bolster my position that Woodson was faster. First off, as I have already stated, I had asked if Woodson was faster. I followed that with a stat that had no connection to Woodson because those next-gen stats didn't even exist in his day. My stat was actually there to show how Minkah compared to his peers. Funny, that's exactly what you said was relevant. But don't be discouraged, english is difficult at times. Sometimes while you're learning it, you contradict yourself and won't even know it. Sure, it makes you look like a fool, but it goes away in time...well the mistakes do, not looking like a fool. ;)

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    :popcorn:

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :drinks:

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Let's get ready to rumble. ..

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :duel:

• Like Like x 1
  15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Yay!! I won an argument on the internet today! Yay, me!!!!
    (green)

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Now try again, this time without stumbling into misstatements. I know you never said Woodson was faster. Your initial post in this debate was questioning if he really was faster.

Also, because English is a language, it is capitalized. Next time you try lecturing an English teacher about the proper use of the language, perhaps you should use proper capitalization. It would add more credibility to your post.

There were other errors that also damage your credibility. Your first statement was a sentence fragment, not a sentence. There is no verb in it. You misspelled question mark in your second paragraph. The use of bold and/or italics to stress a word is also improper and usually done as a cover for the writer's inability to use the language properly to stress a point. I may have missed more errors, but this is a message board post, not something I'm grading for class.

To be fair, I often make errors in punctuation and grammar when I post here. It's a message board. We are supposed to be able to just have fun and post what we want to say. I only point out the many errors in your post as a fair response to the ridiculous snark in yours.

I do understand that the next generation statistics either did not exist or they were not readily available to the public when Woodson played. That is why they are useless in a comparison of Fitzpatrick and Woodson. If your reading skills were as sharp as your snark suggests you believe them to be, you would have already known that. Instead, perhaps I need to use repetition or simplification to help you with your comprehension.

When you brought up the next generation statistic, I hadn't even raised the issue of comparing Fitzpatrick to his peers yet. Now you want to act as if that point had already been raised. So did you not understand the sequence of events or are you just trying to misrepresent them now rather than acknowledge that my argument is correct?

17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.;+)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016

[​IMG]

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You really think Glory Days would have the guts to speak to someone in person the way he wrote that post? You're funny.

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I must have missed that , I've only been skimming the exchange between you two
    I got a kick out of your English lesson which prompted my response.(all in good fun, btw)
    For the record, Woodson was faster.;+)

22. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Well, you’re really doubling down on the “looking like a fool” comment. Since you’re so inclined to elucidate your vast superiority over me in regard to the “E”nglish language, I’ll try my best to not offend your supercilious nature. (See what I did there? I emphasized the “E” with quotes because you said it was improper to stress it in bold or italics. Did I make you happy? I hope so.) I must admit that while typing my previous post on my cell phone, I was guilty of being a little lazy and not going back to capitalize when I should have. You were right to call me out for not using proper capitalization. I make no excuses for my misspelling of “question.” That was inexcusable. I want to thank the moderators for not banning me.

But I digress. (Hopefully I constructed that sentence properly. Let me know, okay?)

Let’s look at my numerous faux pas, shall we? I mean, you used more than half of your previous post to point them out. Why not take them seriously?

Wow, you’re bringing the heat there. I have a feeling I’m about to learn something.

Interesting. I was taught that a sentence needs a subject, predicate, and a complete thought to be complete. I was also taught that even one word can be a complete sentence. For example, an imperative or command such as “stop” can be a complete sentence since the subject, “you,” is implied. In the case of my first sentence, “you” is implied and therefor has a subject. The predicate is an imperative. The command, “point out,” satisfies the second requirement of a complete sentence. And finally, the sentence is a complete thought. I’m pretty sure my 5th grade English teacher, Mrs. Taylor, wouldn’t have designated that as a fragment. But hey, maybe you teach that new core curriculum where the liberals can add 1+1 and get 3. I’m sure if they can do that, they can say a properly constructed sentence is a fragment.

Very interesting, indeed. What are bold and italics for then? Please enlighten us, oh King-of-English. Guess what? I emphasized “asked” by making it bold. Your very first assessment of that bold word was that it was for emphasis. There’s nothing improper about using bold or italics for emphasis. If you shovel that crap on your supposed students, I feel sorry for them.

And I would love, love, love to have you demonstrate my inability to use the English language properly by showing all of us how to stress the point that I asked a question instead of making a statement. My contention is that I made an efficient, lucid statement on a message board. I was not under the impression that I my opinion was subject to scrutiny based on the warped teaching style of a new-age educationalist trying to feel better about himself and his life choices.

I have a feeling that the more “errors” you brought to light would do more damage to your credibility than mine at this point. And with that said, I won’t even attempt to dissect your feeble attempt to debate me on substance. You would undoubtedly continue to opine about your wordsmithing and my lack thereof. But I don’t believe that’s what this thread, or forum, for that matter, need. Good day.

23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    :rolleyes:

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Found this article while browsing the web just recently. Sums up what I said about Minkah when he came out of Alabama. Glad Colbert and Tomlin were seeing the same aspect and benefit of Minkah playing the Deep Middle as the Free Safety.

Read here for more!

#MagicMinkah!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  25. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Absolutely. He’s young enough it counts as a first round to me anyways.