1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Minkah Fitzpatrick worth a 1st?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Fitzpatrick isn't quite on Woodson's level as an athlete. Woodson was both faster and more physical. He wasn't on the level of Sanders in man-to-man coverage, but he was a much more complete player. He was a strong tackler, something Sanders avoided doing at all costs.

I'm not sure who the comp would be for Fitzpatrick just yet. I don't think he has reached his full potential yet. I doubt we will see his best before next season, when he has had a full offseason and camp with the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The free safety position in today's era of the NFL is as important as the middle linebacker position was in the 1970s. By the end of the season, Fitzpatrick will be an all-pro player, who is actually making players around him better. The Steelers defense will end up being a top 10 defense. If the offense improves to a top 15 offense, the Steelers will make the playoffs.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Woodson was a Cornerback for the Steelers. Apples and Oranges... when it comes to FS and CB.

Yes, Woodson was a safety for Ravens and their 1st Super Bowl win... but he was always a Corner for the Steelers.

It's not fair to compare Woodson and Fitzpatrick... because Fitzpatrick doesn't play CB. Entirely different skill set.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I think he’s saying that we can’t know the value of the draft pick we traded away until the end of the season. Suppose we’d kept the pick; Ben’s arm doesn’t respond to PT; we see, over the remainder of this year, that Rudolph isn’t The Guy, making QB a crucial need; and with our very early pick, we grab...a safety instead of a QB!

Not that I agree with him. I think the secondary was a crucial-need area.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I was just comparing their athletic ability. You are correct that they played completely different roles for the Steelers. Woodson was the better player, but Fitzpatrick isn't done improving yet.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Fitzpatrick is definitely helping the defense improve, but it is important to keep in mind which quarterbacks the Steelers faced in those games.

The first two games, they were playing Brady and Wilson, two of the best in the game. Since then, they haven't faced that level of quarterback. At times they made journeymen backups like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Hoyer look good. The best of the passers they have faced since Week 2 is probably Rivers, but he is playing behind a horrific offensive line.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yep. He’s still a game changer though

8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Unless a name jumps out of the hat, Pitts 1st round picks are usually other teams 3rd or 4th round picks. Or go undrafted.

9. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    An ineffective question even before he's done what he's done for us so far. Look, if he fell to us in the 1st round last or next year few here would pass . The decision is solidified by actual play performance that you don't get with a draft pick. No brainer.

Sheesh

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Here is better explanation as to why I call Minkah "Malcolm Jenkins 2.0".

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Is the NFL still rigged by any chance?! No seriously though. I am asking for a friend. :hmm:

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Glad I am not the only one who noticed this as well. Terrell has really improved since Minkah came to the team. Not just him either as just about everyone not pinning their ears back to get after the QB has.

Still want Terrell to create a splash play though. He is due for one. Not sure when it will happen though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This was always part of my problem with Edmunds. He didn't really make many splash plays his final year at Virginia Tech. I don't think his upside is anything special.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think his physical upside is pretty special, but the mental aspects of his game are catching up at a Dupreeish pace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Read Steel_Elvis post. He makes a very valid point. That said, I worry that, by the time Terrell's mental aspect catches up with his physical capabilities, it will be too little too late.

I doubt Pittsburgh pays two safeties from the same draft class. Sure, anything can happen between now and then of course. I just do not seeing it happening.

This is also not accouting for Derwin James' eventual pay day which will likely reset the market anyway.

16. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Miami fans told me they got robbed when it happened......... That is all you need to know...........

17. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    You need atleast 1 great safety in todays NFL. If you draft one in the first rd it is always a gamble. They got a stud that has already proven he could play on a bad team.... He is only 22 it was a no brainer...........

• Like Like x 2
  18. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    The deep pass improvements are incredible. Damn.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't doubt that the mental aspect is still holding him back, but Edmunds still has to prove he can be a guy who makes big plays. He didn't even prove that in college, so assuming he will do it in the pros makes little sense.

20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
  21. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Shhhhhhh!!! Quiet. Those numbers look so much better when you don't confuse the issue with the facts!! I knew someone would bring that up, and you're right. But it just felt too good to leave out the obvious!

22. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Was Woodson actually faster? MinFitz was rated the fasted player of the week this past week. Clocked at 21.48 mph on his pick 6.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Clark addressed this, he said that's not the case, he was good with how his career went. And that he knew he was never the best safety on the Steelers.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There were some in the Pittsburgh media who didn't like the trade, saying the Steelers blew their chance to draft a franchise QB next year :facepalm:, as of the right now the Steelers wouldn't even have a top 10 pick.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Yes. And it's getting worse with the NY office deciding what is pass interference.

Edit: definitely more transparent for sure.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019