1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Wallace - Restricted Free Agent

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Scrap, Feb 2, 2012.

1. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Can any of yinz convert the lawyer speak into plain old western Pennsylvania English?

2. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    How's this. " Sign or get your ass outta here Wallace ! " :hehehe:

3. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011

Now that I understand! :thumbs_up:

4. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Shaner, I guarantee that if the Steelers did let Wallace go for an additional 1st round pick they wouldn't use both on offensive lineman. I think they still believe in Colon at RT and they have too many needs on the other side of the ball. OL and offense in general need small upgrades whereas the defense is in a bit more of a rebuilding mode with NT, LB, and S.

5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. While I would love a stud guard and LT in this years draft, I know it won't happen and I know that we don't desperately need a tackle. If Starks comes back and stays in shape, we're actually decent at tackle. Gilbert is not LT material IMO. He's a great right tackle though. You're right in that we need a NT far more than we need a tackle and we could use a LB as well.

I will say this though, if we draft a top notch NT and Hood still continues to struggle, he should be replaced next year in the draft. In a 3-4 system, there's no place for below average players on the line. It affects the entire pass rush when even one member of the DL can't take on his blockers. Right now Hood has the excuse that he hasn't had a top notch NT beside him, which hurts him. But once that's addressed, no more excuses, he needs to start playing like a 1st round pick.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ugh... just read the new rules. The 1st + 3rd tender is gone, so it's just a 1st. If the Bengals don't sign him, the 49ers will, and we will end up with pick #30. Not worth losing a guy who will always draw safety help over the top, even if he's not a complete WR.

7. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    As long as we can clear up some cap space (Hampton, Smith, Kemo, etc.), I expect that we will make a solid offer to Wallace prior to the deadline. Rooney mentioned that it is a priority and so far he's got some street credit because we did have a coach "retire" after he said it would happen.

If we don't get a deal done, then we tender him and definitely lose a bidding war. As others have mentioned, teams like Cincy and SF will give up a first rounder for him. Especially Cincy, who has a ton of cap space AND two first round picks. It will come down to if Wallace is willing to take a fair offer with the knowledge that there is more money to be made elsewhere. We gain a first round pick, but lose Wallace.

My gut tells me we get a deal done and Wallace gets paid, but an amount that everyone is very comfortable with. Our front office has shown us many times that they won't cripple the franchise with financial decisions. Even last offseason when all the deals were getting done I think they knew there would be some cuts and major restructures coming with some veterans this year to the point it wouldn't put us in a position where we had to lose guys we wanted to keep.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    :good: I say make him and offer and if he balks at it then approach the Dolphins and see if they will trade Pouncey straight up for Wallace then everyone wins. :good: :good:

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    How many people like thorn058's idea? I think he has the perfect solution!!

Cajun-

10. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    How did little brother grade out in his rookie season? I seem to remember some reports coming out of Miami that he was struggling. Also, hopefully he's able to stay healthier that big brother who's missed playoff games, including the SB his first two years.

11. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben can, indeed, throw it that far. He's overthrown Wallace on several occasions. The problem is Ben's accuracy.

12. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'd like to see Wallace stay. But, if he's asking for too much money, then trade him and get money and a top pick out of the deal. Steelers need to shore up the O-Line.

13. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I haven't seen enough of Mike Pouncey to say either way, but Miami would never do that trade.

14. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    If we sign him to a fat contract, then Brown, who is better, will want one of equal or greater value. If we end up with them both long term, we will have massive amounts invested into a duo that can't score points inside the redzone or beyond.

Tender the highest contract, take the first round pick and draft an offensive lineman or pass rusher.

Guys, don't forget that we have Sanders too. We may also find more gems in this years draft. We must look long term and let Wallace go so we can keep Brown.

15. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. With Sanders and our ability to find good WR's, we don't need Wallace. Besides, I don't have much faith in him to continue to develop. He's a deep threat, nothing more.

16. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I agree also...Brown has shown he can be our number one...and...he blocks too.....like some old guy on the team we still love..

17. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Sticky situation for sure. Brown is great but Sanders is always hurt. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.