1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Wallace - Restricted Free Agent

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Scrap, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    So Mike Wallace will be a restricted free agent come march... Do you guys think the FO would be willing to match whatever offer a team makes to him? Most teams throw around money way more than we do and I worry someone may make him an offer too good for him to refuse and too good for us to match. I know some people feel he is not all he is dished up to be and just has tremendous speed but he really is a huge threat and I would hate to see this young trio get broken up so early. Anyways just a thought I had.

2. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I would hate to see him go and I am one those that believe he is more than a one trick pony. However, if someone is willing to give him a bigger pay day than we are he is probably gone. Could it be possible that some of the teams that are in the market don't place as much value on him as we do...I don't know?

3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Under the new rules its not his choice if the bengals off him more then the steelers he must take the bengals offer

4. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    O wow really? Hmmm... So its almost like a gamble? So you have to offer a pretty significant contract in hopes if someone else not being able to easy top it? Is there a certain percentage more they have to offer to take that player? Cuz if not, thats seems like a pretty horrible system and we will see players bouncing all over the place and I don't like that.

5. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  6. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I've never heard of this before...I need some proof of this. That doesnt even sound right/fair...forcing a player to sign elsewhere if he agrees to what his current team offers him/etc.

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I would like to keep him too. They will probably tender him at the highest level which would net the Steelers a 1st and 3rd round pick in this years draft (or even the one below it netting just a 1st). But if someone offers him more than the Steelers are willing to pay...fine with me...I'd take that 1st/3rd in a heartbeat. Especially if its a team drafting higher than the Steelers...could get a stud OL and maybe a new WR with those 2 firsts.

8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That doesn't make sense. You mean to tell me that if a RFA player agrees to a fair wage and wants to stay with a team, He has to go somewhere else just because they offer him more money --- even if he doesn't want it? I need to see some proof on that or I'm calling BS.

9. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If they don't get a long term deal before the dead line ... they will most likey offer the highest tender to him, so if another team does sign him, they will have to give up their 1st round pick to the Steelers.

10. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    That makes no sense.

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That's not accurate. If he and the Steelers haven't finalized a new agreement, and another team makes an offer for him, the Steelers have an opportunity to match the offer to keep him. If they choose not to, then they receive a first round draft pick as compensation. I imagine they'll work to sign him up to a multi-year deal before March 13th, as Rooney has said he's a priority.

12. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    the highest tender (1st & 3rd) is still only 2.562 mil...which is alot lower than he'll probably get offered by any team ..so you can bet if the Steelers dont wrap him up prior to March they will give him this tender. IMHO I would prefer this over OVER paying just to keep him...I think he is great but he NEVER..goes up for the ball...or even tries to play defender when its necessary.

13. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    He has been in the league for 2 years... and the Steelers know how to coach their players. No doubt he'll get better.

14. IZONUFOTO

Jan 1, 2012
    Agree...He needs to be coached...and Im sure if a insignificant armchair QB like me can notice this is missing from his repertoire, then so have the coaches. So...lets see it...btw this is going to be his 4th year in the league..

15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm actually hoping for this. Make him the top offer instead of signing him long term. Pray some-one offers him more and he takes it. We'll get that 1st & 3rd which could be really huge for us.

You guys can beat me up on this if you want but in my opinion he's over-rated as a NFL WR and its due to his unbelievable speed. He's super fast but how often has he caught the ball on the run,rarely, because Ben can't throw it that far. How many drops does he have or even how well does he fight for the ball or defend when its intercepted and what about his blocking. He's good, no doubt, but brown is better and with E. Sanders and hopefully Jerricho C. we'll be okay without him and can use those picks to solidify our defense and OL.

Remember, N.O. Colston was a 7th rd draft pick and the Giants Cruz was undrafted. He can be replaced and we should not overpay for speed alone.

Cajun-

16. mort159

mort159 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He has to agree to terms with a team, I believe. So if a team offers him a contract he does not need to accept. If he does accept, we would have the option to match. If we don't match we get the compensation depending on what tender we put on the player.

If we don't get a deal done i think we will put the 1st and 3rd tender on him. If someone omes along with a big offer, which i'm assuming it would be to give up those picks, we won't feel bad letting him go because we would know we would not have been able to sign him. Plus the compensation would be a lot.

I'm happy either way. I like Mike Wallace and think he is a great player and an be even better under a new OC and new system. I though he was great in the first half of the year, the we stopped going to him as much on the shorter routes, comebacks, and drags. If we get a 1st and a 3rd, that could upgrade our football team in another area that is needed also. So its a win win.

17. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    You are right, next season will be his 4th year in the NFL but he only started 4 games in '09.

18. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Opps ...I didn't realize the highest tender was a 1 and a 3rd.

19. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I could be wrong but i swear i read that if the steelers cant match the offer given he has to take the higher offer. Also there are plenty of teams that have to get to the 89% mark so theres going to be money flying around and some offers we may not be able to match. Hopefully the get him signed before he becomes a free agent.

20. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'd like to keep him. I think his "slump" last year is blown way out of proportion, and who he really is is the guy he was in the first half of the year. He was unstoppable, until teams were determined to stop him. When that happened, Antonio Brown popped up like a weasel and became an elite WR in the league. I don't think it's a coincidence. Dangerous players cut the knees off of a defense, even if they don't catch a ball. Mike Wallace open doors that I've never seen a Steeler open before.

That said, put me down in the "not too broken up" column if we get a 1st and 3rd rounder for him. Although I thought I read that under the new rules, there's no more 1st and 3rd, only 1st. For that, I wouldn't be as satisfied unless it was very high.

21. IZONUFOTO

Jan 1, 2012
    Ok...a little clarity here..a team CANNOT just throw out a huge number to a restricted free agent and say..I WIN...the Player (and is agent ) have to actually negotiate and agree and SIGN an offer sheet with clear terms then the prior team can decide if it wants to match. So you don't even get to this point if the free agent doesnt sign an offer.. He doesnt have to play for a team if he doesnt want to..

22. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would rather the 1st round pick. We aren't weak at WR, we are very weak on both lines. I'm just not sold on Hood being a long term starter, but even if he is, we need a NT. We also need a guard and a left tackle. We can get by at tackle, but we need a guard this year, either high in the draft or in free agency. I would love for us to get a top 15 pick so we can get Decastro and a left tackle in the 1st round.

Then draft a NT in the 2nd round (or forget the NT and switch to a 4-3, now is the time if we're going to do it).

That is what I hope happens, even though I know were not going to get Decastro. We never seem to draft the top lineman in the draft and with the state of our line, it shows. For a long time now, we keep drafting these hybrid tackle/guard/center type players who aren't good enough at any position to be dominant. Legursky is fine, Colon is fine, but I want a true stud at guard and left tackle.

23. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I don't know the new rules and it'd be nice if some-one found a link on them. I do know according to the old rules if a team made an other the original team had a opportunity to match and keep the player. thats why he was restricted. Most often another team would put a "poison pill" clause in the contract making it unlikely the orig team would match.

Cajun-

24. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree with Cajun on this one. No only for the reasons stated above but listening to several of Wallace's recent interviews, he's getting a slight attitude. Reading his own press clippings and also always arguing for a call when he is barely touch. He hasn't gotten there yet, but I could see a potential attitude problem with a hefty contract.

25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011