1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin says that he is looking for outside candidates at OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 18, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I got your point the first time. It would have been a good line if you hadn't flubbed it so badly. You keep trying to defend Rudolph's poor decision and throw by blaming Johnson. You seem to have backed off to the point that Johnson should have saved the interception by coming back to the ball enough to knock it away. It still would have been a poor decision and throw by Rudolph if that had happened, but he would have been lucky his receiver bailed him out. He made a bad decision. You don't have to attack other posters rather than admit it.

Also, Rudolph should know better than to expect that from Johnson. That's not what he does well. He did the same thing on an interception during the regular season. I can't remember which game, but he was in the end zone and waited for the ball rather than coming back to it. The guy has the shiftiness to get open, but he can get lazy with his routes. Rudolph should know that. They have been teammates for a long time, so if that was the expectation on the play, it was a stupid one.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. This play is designed for the ball to be there when the receiver comes out of his break and it was’t in the right spot. Has to be outside so DJ is the only one that can come up with it. “Us or nobody.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Let’s all keep something in mind, the Steelers are at best the 3rd best option for an OC. So they may not get their first choice.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You don’t know that. How about job security and that Canada being fired midseason was the first time in 82 years thats happened. That right there would be appealing, knowing that you will get the opportunity to finish out your contract which has been the Steelers standard operating procedure.

How about the challenge of turning a first rd draft picks career around. Thats something else that could be appealing to a candidate.

Tomlin is one of the highest paid coaches in the league so you can’t say the person they hire won’t get paid, if they are going for a known commodity or hot name and not an in house hire, the candidate is getting paid.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Better hope these candidates don’t watch any tape on KP or talk strategy with MT.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    So if you were an OC who would you rather have.......Josh Allen or Justin Herbert...........because both of those OC jobs are available. Yes, the Steelers have stability, but the Steelers may or may not have a franchise QB and even if they do he isn't Josh Allen or Justin Herbert and if you have any ambition to be a head coach, having Allen or Herbert in your offense can get you there faster than Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I am sure Joe Brady will stay with the bills as OC....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I dont believe I flubbed the line, I am mostly certain you recieved the message loud and clear.

As for me defending Rudolph, thats not even remotely the point I am trying to make. If thats your take away from all of this, I really cant help that anymore since I feel I have completely explained my position.

One more time for those in the back, My position is that DJ has to do more to stop the interception, he has to come back to the ball. Not every throw will be perfect, sometimes he has to also play defense. I hope this isnt a foreign concept to all these keyboard experts here.

9. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Besides the Steelers being this extremely stable franchise which doesn’t even seem to work anymore why would a great OC want to come here? The QB room is a mess MT wants to win football games 6-3 the OLine has big holes at Tackle and Center. They have a couple decent RBs and a couple decent WRs. This job isn’t nearly as attractive as we would like to think albeit if Dementia Rooney opens the wallet that can always be the great equalizer.

10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    you could be right,but we will see I guess

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know why you presume to know what these men want, all you are doing is saying what you would do which is run to the easiest job.

Whats more likely to get someone a HC job? A good offense with Josh Allen as your QB or a good offense with Kenny Pickett as a your QB? Which one screams more of an achievement? These people have A-type personalities, they aren’t running away from a challenge but they may sure like the comfort of knowing they will likely be given a chance to finish the job.

Steelers are one of the best run organizations in the league, gold standard, its an attractive job.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Money will be a factor too.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    could mean he's looking out the window of his office and there are a couple of guys standing outside. :shrug::cool:

14. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Steelers are not attractive as they use to be. You try separating AR2 from his money?

15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    well the bills are 50million over the cap so I would say all that glitters is not gold with them. as for the chargers they were 5-12 in a weaker division while thesteelers play in the strongest division in the afc.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin is one of the highest paid coaches in the league. Since they are going outside the organization for this OC hire then Rooney knows it will cost money.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    If one of them is drinking a beer it’s me

I wouldn’t hire me

18. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Never said it wasn’t attractive, just not the most attractive.

19. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    when mike goes outside looking for a new o.c. we should shut the doors and lock them and leave him outside........unless we are happy with mediocracy.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm: