1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin press conference Russell Wilson is the likely starter now

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 15, 2024 at 12:09 PM.

1. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    if Fields does not start again all year, will he be like KENNY and say he learned nothing by watching:confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Passing Yardage

No, those aren’t Justin Fields numbers, those are Russel Wilsons last season in Denver. Sprinkle in the rest with games in the 200 yards and two games for 300+ yards. That 95 yard clunker had two picks along with it, that was a beauty of a game.

Don’t think some of you realize what you are getting with Russ. You just see the 26 TD’s. Fields was well on his way to doing that with 10 in 6 games.

He hasn’t played a game in 10 months and yet he is expected to come in and save the day. The only way this move makes sense to me is if it is in Wilsons contract that he gets to start. Makes some sense the way he left here without a contract and then the same with the Giants. Reports were that the Giants wouldnt agree to that so maybe the Steelers did.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Fair enough. Just felt like the criticism or the frequency thereof was a bit premature. May be a reaction to the Kahn Artist stuff...which also feels premature. He's definitely not Tiger 2000 flushing it. :drinks:

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

5. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016

That sounds like a description of Tomlin.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    If our center is out I have a bad feeling for this game. Jet's D isn't a joke so they will put pressure up front until we PROVE we can consistently pass the ball and move the chains. If play #1 is hand off to Najee, impose will predictability that is just dumb. We have to start becoming creative and unpredictable. How about a quick slant or high percentage pass whatever that is in our system, maybe a TE pass but with our line being decimated I think our TE's will be in block mode most of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I usually give a guy some time to really chaff my arse before I pile on pain/hate.
    He's got a flat spot here and there on his wheel currently, maybe that's not his doing.
    He doesn't deserve any glowing reviews yet, find a franchise QB and that will change pretty quick.
    :drinks: I'm with you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Would you think it wouldn't? Look at the QB salaries. The 5th year option was 25 mill. They declined. Do you think Fields right now is worth 40 to 45 mill a season? Because that's what it's going to take.

9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that Wilson will be the starter Sunday night. Tomlin said that he would wait until closer to game time to announce the starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The Raiders, being as bad as they are, should’ve been Wilson’s first game. With the Jets, the offense will need to rely on the defense to hold Rodgers and company to less than 20 points

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Macker

Macker Member

Sep 18, 2022
    Add experience to the list, especially in tight games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Macker

Macker Member

Sep 18, 2022
    Bill's Davis ran all over the Jets D last night, despite not being their #1 RB. I suspect Tomlin & crew will want to keep running the ball, but agree with you 100% that they have to mix it up to keep the Jets D honest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    and if Adams plays tha6s another Wr thr Sec wont be able to cover.. lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Teams like the Rams, Seahawks, and Giants would be foolish to wait to get their future QB, just because they have a veteran QB already under contract.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2024 at 7:06 PM
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That guy forgot to mention in his tweet that the Steelers are ranked 28th in passing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well, the trade deadline isn't until November 5th so we can't say Khan isn't addressing the issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Bengals just beat the Giants playing bad offense, I'm more worried about the Jets game.

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    How do you figure that this makes Fields the starter in 2025?

19. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    145 yrds passing by Fields is not going to secure a starting QB job, we got the win we are 4-2 but...
    I'm ok with Wilson starting, if he can throw for 300 yrds and get the win, show poise, distribute the ball, ok, if not... enter the dark side...
    if Wilson is given the keys this week he controls his own destiny

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes....I totally hear You, but if they don't try another Qb.....then they don't know if other things need more work, or is it the Qb. This way.....however it works out....they get a better look at the whole offense, and what they should keep, get rid of, pay, or cut.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes like....what so You think if we draft another DB in the 1st round this year. LoL

22. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019

Whats the difference between Fields throwing for a buck something and Wilson throwing for 300 - both winning the game. I get it. Nice to see some numbers, but Wilson isn't going to escape the rush.

I would like to see what Wilson can do. I fear he wont last behind these tackles, especially swiss-cheese Jones. Should be interesting.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Difference is, or could be if it works.....is the Defense has to really defend the whole field....instead of just playing the run all game ....except when we are 3rd, and long.
    This is the whole Idea, or why You have a passing game, and a running game. A Qb, and a RB.
    Also everyone keeps talking about we are winning. We are basically winning with D, and special team. Notice the only games the D didn't keep the other team below 20 ....we lost. You can't expect the D to be perfect every freaking game .
    This D has allowed the least amount of points per game this year, and has had the best turnover rate in the Red zone this year. Yet we still lost two games because the offense couldn't do enough. Hell it may not work, but we must see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I think we had six guys (7 including injured frazier) with over 50 pff rating on the o-line: Jones (who was like 49 or something), Moore, Seumalo, Mcullum, Anderson, Mccormick,
    That's is not terrible. They deserve credit. These guys for the most part played decent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    This is what scares me. There are some terrible starters out there. I will guarantee you some owner will pay a bunch to Fields. Especially if he ends the year with the body of work he has so far this year. There is no end to some owners opening that checkbook for minimal talent

• Agree Agree x 1