1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin expects Steelers to handle their emotions against Bengals

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rhys Lightning 63, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Rhys Lightning 63

Rhys Lightning 63 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ers-to-handle-their-emotions-against-bengals/

The last time the Steelers and Bengals saw each other, it stopped pretending to be a playoff game and turned into a street fight.

But with the teams prepared to face off this week with much lower stakes, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he expects his team to keep its emotions in check.

I thought largely our guys handled themselves appropriately and didn’t get consumed by the emotions that comprised the recent elements of the matchup, and I don’t anticipate anything changing this time around,” Tomlin said, via Andrew Erickson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “We realize to win the game, you can’t beat yourself, so that’s something that’s a part of our everyday culture in terms of how we approach our business.”

While the Bengals lost their cool and the game, the Steelers certainly weren’t angels, with assistant coach Joey Porter’s foray onto the field to check on Antonio Brown/jaw with opposing players triggered not just penalties but a new rule.

Now, assistant coaches are barred from the field, which means Porter will have to “handle himself appropriately” from the sidelines.

Whether things calm down Sunday at Heinz Field remains to be seen, but the two teams have a lot to play for this season, and it would help if it actually remained football.

2. Rhys Lightning 63

Rhys Lightning 63 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I mean, that's all well and good, but it's the guys on the other sideline I worry about

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not in our House!!!! Them Kitty's better show some respect.:dancing:

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Another flipping imbecile that fails to realize or chooses to ignore the entire Bengals coaching staff on the field when one of their guys was down.

Memo to imbecile: Every freaking team does it! Porter did notthhhiinnngg.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    One benefit to Leveon Bell not playing this game. He won't get hurt.
    He's was hurt in both the last two regular season games at Heinz field against the Bengals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    even if the players have a lapse in judgement and do something dumb, I'm sure the refs will be very quick to pull the flags. Hard fought game for sure, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot of extracurriculars...

when barfict comes back for the next one might be different, the guy just has no control

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I don't think it will be that bad. If Burfict were playing, it might be a different story. I do expect a little ugliness from Pacman Jones. Refs aren't going to be hesitant about throwing the yellow flags. Hopefully the Steelers play great between the lines, the game against the Redskins we were hardly penalized at all, one of the best outings in that department in sometime. AB's twerking episode aside of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    watchout DWill
    please coach rest him and all starters after we are up by 2 scores late in the game

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    coach doesn't live in our fears lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    We can send a scrub out there with a shim to knife him!
    It's a joke guys. Don't hate on me for it

11. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't worry Coach! Us fans will take up the task of letting our emotions get out of control.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! Yeah someone should read him some of the posts from the gameday thread in his headset if he doesn't believe you.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

No worries. We've got this!

• Like Like x 1
  14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've got this gut feeling that this game is really gonna come down to which ever team decides not to get the most stupid penalties. I heard on NFL Network this morning that the refs were told to throw flags early for any extra curricular activity. NOTE TO MIKE MITCHELL: DON'T BE A DANG IDIOT!

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2016
    What week does the flex scheduling kick in this year?

This game definitely should have been flexing into a national timeslot

16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We were handling our emotions last season but cincy wanted to take it to another level...they wanted to take it to the streets with dirty play.The outcome just wasn't what they expected. I don't mind physical play, as a matter of fact, I welcome it. But, dirty play, spitting and snorting on our oline, late hits, trying to end guys careers outside of the whistle
    ...has no place in this game. And its not just for them...the ravens ...terrell thuggs was a master at cheap shots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Aren't they only allowed to do that to a couple of games all year? I agree that this is a marquee matchup for sure. I still just figure this game means more to our two fanbases than it does most of the country. It's a division game and also there's "bad blood" between us. I don't think most people understand the hatred we have for each other when they're on the outside looking in. Also I'm not sure the league wants to show a game that might be filled with dirty play and really it seems people are more interested in this game for that reason alone as opposed to the actual play of either team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah the straight up thuggery of the bungles is pretty staggering. I love how NFL Network keeps showing Burfict's hit on Ben last year but then quickly cut before it shows him kneeing him in the same shoulder he had just slammed him on.