1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin could be interested in LSU

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Animus, Oct 23, 2021.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I would think college is a whole different kind of beast. It's almost a year round type of thing where no only are you thinking about the current season but the next and the next and so on down the line. You have to recruit all the time and sometimes you are recruiting pure athletes that you have to decide where they will play. As @S.T.D has told use LSU will fire a coach for losing 3 games. Then there are the mega money donors you have to appease while keeping your players away from them and the temptation of taking money from boosters that violate NCAA regulations. The common thread is the game but everything else is different.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The more I think about it ...the more I find it off putting that a Coach for the STEELERS organization would even want 2 leave on His own for a college team.

3. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    There are coaches out there that have a bucket list for their careers where sometimes no matter how successful they are and how great the pro team they work for is they still want to have that shot at coaching at their college or one if the schools with a long and storied history. If your a life long Irish fan could you honestly turn down a chance to run out on that field? There is some attraction there.

• Like Like x 2
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I get that. I do.
    I Guess I let My life Long Fandom of the Steelers get in the way of My thinking.
    Just Seemed He was pretty Upset about the Question...Especially when He said Why aren't the Questions being asked about Sean P.,and Andy R.....then I got 2 thinking about it ...and Well ...like I said...I took it as a shot. :shrug:

5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'll have to start a thread in the college sports board to really dig into what NIL is going to do. But basically when you look at a state like Cali, 5th largest economy in the world & 3rd most players from its state in the entire country playing in the NFL, it shouldn't be shocking that USC would try to lure someone like Mike T, and they have the money to do it.

The thing is, I'm completely sure USC has reached out to Tomlin's agent. With that said, the chances to Mike T going to USC to slim to none. The Steelers HC job is one of the most secure job in all of sports (worldwide). In many sports HCs get fired mid-season for just being in 2nd place, even if they have championships on their resume. The NFL has a ton more more patience with HCs, and the Steelers have far more patience than the average NFL job. Job security definitely outweighs money in this case.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I can honestly see him getting upset because he is reading more into it then perhaps there was meant to be like is this stuff coming up because they think I need to leave Pittsburgh because of reasons x, y, z.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020

I actually don't think he was truly upset about this at all, regardless of how vehement he appeared to be. Many times we saw coaches deny rumors, but they somehow lingered. He did what he had to do so shut the door, and end the speculation. My take may be wrong though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Oh he's pissed and should be. That was total BS. I could see if he had ties to that university but he has a very secure job and stellar record at Pittsburgh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You all know that MT get's 8 million/yr from the Steelers one if not the most
    stabile franchise's in all of professional sports. To have to go out and kiss a 16 year old's ass
    and mega booster's ass. No thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2