1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin’s Best Decisions and Biggest blunders in his career

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jul 3, 2024.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Don't You have to add L. Bell to that??? You have two guys that had been considered top 3 at least at their jobs while here, and totally different when gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My biggest problem has always been fakes instead of punting, or kicking the field goals. Those decisions come straight from the HC, and I hate it.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I believe they do regardless.

Terrell Edmunds wasn't going to be the ball hawk the team thought he could become. Sean Davis wasn't amounting to much wither for his instincts in the deep zone were severely lacking. Something had to be done on that front.

Minkah was the only logical answer at the time.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I still can't believe anybody thought Edmunds would be a ball hawk. He didn't even make many big plays in college.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Mason has more upside, just watch this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i hope they do - DAVIS SUCKED.

man, did they blow some draft picks for a few years.

MEMO TO STEELERS - DO NOT DRAFT MARYLAND PLAYERS!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The guy turns 29 this month and people are still talking about upside. lol

Rudolph has a better chance to play this season because he is behind a less-established quarterback, but the talk of upside at this point in his career is laughable.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

So is Spencer Anderson now a bad player?!

9. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Tomlins best decisions:
    1. Stayed with Lebeau and the assistant coaches when he was hired on as the Head Coach.
    2. Embraced the tradition of the Steelers (hard nosed, blue collar, smash mouth and ground pound) We got away from this some as the NFL transitioned.
    3. Decision to keep Brown over Wallace.
    4. Active engagement in recruiting and scouting process to the extent he develops relationships with alot of players who want to come to Pittsburgh in Free Agency for their second contract.
    5. Cultivating culture where players want to come here and players are loyal to him.
    6. Not making knee jerk reactions based on bad play and drastic changes to the team (which often times depeserate teams do which makes the culture even more unsettling).
    7. He created the stable environment around the term “The Standard”, but it really is true the team really seems to adopt that next man up mentality when dealing with adversity and injury. He doesn’t let that stuff sway the team off course very long. Excellent at keeping the team hyper focused.
    8. Recognizing the importance of bringing in previous Steelers to help with scouting, team culture, assistant coaching. I think it really creates something special that motivates a winning a culture.
    9. Getting back to ground and pound and a strong defense. I know there are fads in football but the foundation of success in football doesn’t often change much. a Strong ground control offense and elite defense will always position the team to have a chance at success. Obviously a franchise QB changes everything but those are hard to come by.
    10. Letting Bell walk, trading Brown and DJ but enabling the culture to cultivate bad behavior in the first place should be implemented to prevent these situations. Tomlin allows the players to police themselves. In fact he expects it thats why he looks for strong locker room leaders but he didn’t have that on offense for the last few years and it was obvious.

Tomlins worst decisions:
    1. Assistant Hires after the early to mid 2000’s.
    2. Keeping Tuitt over Javon Hargrave.
    3. Hanging on too the OL and Ben in the late 2000’s instead of starting over sooner.
    4. Clock management.
    5. Challenges.
    6. Scheme and coaching agents the Patriots (Not changing it up enough).
    7. Transitioning away from bigger thicker run pluggers at DT in a 2 DT scheme and teaching them to gap contain instead of penetrate. Keep Olinemen off the Inside Linebackers.
    8. Lack of discipline and accountability on players starting from the Roethlkisbergger and Brown days to the present. As great as Ben was I think he could have even been better.
    9. Lack of schematic change during half time of games.
    10. Not hiring Hines Ward to coach the WR’s. He would have been excellent in the long run of creating accountability and discipline for guys like Brown. I think Tomlin was concerned he would have lost Brown if Ward came on as coach which he ended up losing Brown anyway.

* The biggest thing is Tomlin allows guys to be themselves and he try to teach them and equip them to better character wise but he doesn’t force them. Is it good or bad? It is really hard to say Brown got toxic in Pittsburgh and we had to trade him, but look at how many years of production we got out of him. Could have any other coach gotten that much production out of him? What would Belichek's legacy be without Brady? Maybe he just would have been know as a great defensive head coach that always struggled to identify offensive talent and couldn’t get his team over the hump. You look at the early Ravens and they were primarily all defense and that was born out of the foundation Belichek built in Cleveland before they moved to Baltimore.

I know who se style is right when it comes to the culture and discipline in the locker room - Belichek or Tomlin. Some players loved the Patriot way and the hard coaching and absolute accountability to mistake free football and winning and some said it was terrible and no fun. It probably all depends on the player. Success can be had in many ways. Look at Andy Reid. I wouldn’t say he is a disciplinarian at all. Kielce almost knocked him over in the Super Bowl last year expression frustration to him that he wasn’t involved enough. I don’t think you would ever see player do that to Beliecheck. Bottom line is if you get the Franchise QB they can cover up for alot of inefficiencies. I think Tomlin would have won two Superbowls with Mahomes just as Reid has done. On the flip side I don’t think Ben would have played well under Belicheck at all. The unique station between Brady and Belicheck was extremely unique. I don’t think Belicheck could have had the success with many QB’s outside of Brady. Brady was unique in that he could take hard coaching.... alot of these QB’s could not. Maybe a select few .... Troy Aikman, Brees, Rivers but it would have to be a certain type. I think you saw that with Russell Wilson and Sean Payton. Sean Payton coaches hard and that doesn’t mesh well with Wilson.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Good post... but you meant 2010's instead of 2000's. There's a big difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't know how much say a HC truly has in player personnel decisions and tend to believe they are more on the FO and GM. But... the signing of Mike Vick had Tomlin's fingerprints all over it and is unforgivable as far as I'm concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

a broken clock is right twice a day.

it is wrong the rest of the day....;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I was at a game with my son and the Steelers were losing 41-3 with 58 seconds left and MT called a timeout and I screamed at the top of my lungs Hey Mike, WTH do you have a 38 point play drawn up? He heard me and walked away. All the Bills fans started laughing. We did lose 48-10 so I guess there was a very small purpose there but I still didn’t get it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He wasn't going to live in his fears. Obviously.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You said every.

Just wanna be sure.

16. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    What if it is a digital clock?

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Isn't that the only way the younger generation can tell time???

18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he is a clown many times

19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

can you read?

SERIOUSLY.

can some of you EVEN read?

5 yr. olds, here, I think.......

the word EVERY is never uttered.

read MORE, post LESS.

clowns....

Last edited: Jul 14, 2024
  20. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You said "do not draft Maryland Players" correct?!

Translation; No matter how skilled they may be, stay away.

Context is key. :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1