1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin’s Best Decisions and Biggest blunders in his career

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jul 3, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    For my blunders that are missing:

Where is Terrell Edmunds over Jessie Bates III?!

What about his inefficient management of the Offensive Line from 2020 to present?! Kevin Dotson and Kendrick Green not playing the correct position being one. Broderick Jones playing out of position in his Rookie Season being the other.

As far as Best Decisions:

Trading for Minkah Fitzpatrick is not here.

Taking Offensive Tackles in back to back Drafts.

Fielding Top 10 Defenses in back to back seasons without the likes of T.J. Watt, Cameron Heyward, or Minkah Fitzpatrick (both Heyward and Fitz were lost for a number of games in 2023).

Receiving the 33rd Overall Pick; Joey Porter Jr being the result. Granted, this is moreso a AR II, Omar Khan and Mike Tomlin decision but he did play a part in it.

Some of mine. Agree with the rest. :drinks:

• Like Like x 4
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    So Tomlin's coaching is why Harrison ran back a fumble. I'd call it dumb luck.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Interesting list considering the majority of it is on the gm

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I was initially under the impression that Leveon's weight loss was his own decision

6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    some of this is GM , not head coach stuff

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i have more bonehead Tomlin than good, of course.

BAD COACHES is #1, by FAR. our coaches the past 15 years have stunk. STUNK. very few high pedigree guys, other than Haley, if we call him high pedigree. Danny Smith - DANNY DUMMY SMITH still here. and pawn puppet DC's since LeBeau retired.

TERRIBLE clock management and RED FLAG management, TERRIBLE for his entire career. He made a nice career of racking up wins against hapless Bengirls and Clowns teams.

JAX playoff game, 2018 - 2:18 on the clock and the GENIUS tries an ON SIDE KICK. DOWN 7, I remind you. have the 2 min warning and 2 Time Out's. No guts and no balls! Put the DAMN D on the field and STOP BORTLES. BLAKE BORTLES! you suck Tomlin and should have been fired THAT NIGHT. still burns me up. Rooney is a coward.

7 years and no playoff win, 4 straight one and done's

he should be done. He ain't getting any brighter. #trust-me

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    One of the worst blunders and it still make no sense to this day,it was to let Ben on the bench in Oakland in 2018 in a must win game even if the offense had big time struggle when Ben was out.....Of course Tomlin put Ben back on the field when the raiders had a 17-14 lead,the steelers score a TD but the raiders win at the end....The steelers miss the playoffs by one game:facepalm:

Last year vs colts,down 24-13,Tomlin decide to punt instead to put Boswell on the field for a 56 yards FG in a dome to make a one possession game...He has been great from long distance in his career,so this decision make no sense...

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

if this were a court case, he'd be put away for 50 years

:facepalm::smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Take away the name and tell someone their team is getting a Head Coach with a 173-100-2 career record and they are going to be excited. That is a .663 percentage. Also have to tell them he is 8-10 in the Playoffs with a lot of embarrassment.

Looks like the Indy Colts were Tomlins 100th loss.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Given how Tomlin does play a hand in both Scouting and Talent Acquisition, he isnt above reproach here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    my details on the Jax playoff loss earlier in the thread, go back and read and recall that - THAT ALONE should have gotten them ALL canned. FULL staff turnover that offseason.....

just deplorable......

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    biggest blunder - matt canada hiring

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Mouthing off about meeting the Pats in the AFCG BEFORE the jax game and then letting blake bortles beat us. Thats all on Tomlin imo.

and hiring and then keeping Canada (although not sure that was all on Tomlin)

best decision: letting go of AB just as he was imploding, and of course joining the steelers in 06. That was a stroke of genius. Coming out of nowhere and taking over a SB caliber team like that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Who will be the bigger blunder for Mike Tomlin???

1). Kenny Picket goes on to be a starter and has a long career in the NFL

2). Mason Rudolph goes on to be a starter and has a long NFL career.

As the Steelers become the modern day Browns and go through a series of 1st round picks and backup QBs.

16. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Before Dan took over the operations (pre Chuck Noll) the steelers used to make stupid decisions like this (letting go of Unitas, Dawson, Morral) if those two do have successful careers i would definitely say we are the pre Noll steelers again

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He put an extra focus on preparing his players for that exact situation. Maybe it would have happened anyway, but that is good coaching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That loss to the Raiders was when I started to argue that the Steelers should move on from Tomlin. Roethlisberger torched the Raiders in that game, before and after the injury. The offense floundered with Dobbs. That was just a horrible decision by Tomlin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Or they become the Steelers between Bradshaw and Ben R. That is what I think is going to happen. Yes, we didn't win a Super Bowl but it sure the hell was nowhere near the Browns. We did have some good seasons with Neil O and Kordell S.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Yeah especially in the Cowher era...Make 4 AFC title game and a super bowl, but O'Donnell or Kordell made blunders or bad games at the worst possible time, even if the rest of the team had a good game like the cowboys game when the steelers were the better team in the second half outside of the 2 big interception

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You crack me up

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If Sean Davis doesn't get injured do they trade for Minkah?

23. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Allowing Canada to become the OC was a bigger mistake than not firing him. He had at best, an uninspiring history as a college OC. Not everyone is able to do every job. Canada seems to have reached his ceiling long ago. Most of his college seasons were 1 year long and resulted in a 'mutually parted ways' type of ending. Read between those lines.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    We're a long career or two away from the answer if it even comes to that. Just becoming a starter with one successful season first.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is not a specific “decision,” but rather just a success. How Tomlin managed to get so many seasons of elite performance out of a personality like AB is a mystery. Say what you will about his coaching overall, but he found a magic button to push for quite a while with that one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1