1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Mitchell Signing

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Fe3CCity, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This instantly move saftey near The bottoms for defensive priorities. Do they not like shamarko? Or, can they go after a late saftey pick like dion bailey, Troy P jr. in his own words, in the 4th?

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I like bailey a lot in troys role near the LOS. I think we may see a late round pick at safety for the PS for a year or so. maybe tre boston, or brock vereen. they were in minn. to look at Hageman, so I'm sure they took a look. minn. has a LB that may be a worthwhile UDFA pickup too.:cool:

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think S may be completely off the table in the draft.

Like we always see from this FO, we are eliminating needs in or during the free agency period. Our needs have changed and now look like this:

Offense:

1. Backup RB - Bell is our man, but not a lot behind him

2. WR - I think much of this is dependent upon Cotchery and Wheaton. If you like them as #2/#3 guys, then we need a #4 developmental guy, if you think we need a #2 yet we need a top 3 rounds type pick.

3. 3rd string TE - Heath is still going to be the #1 and with the extension the need for an Ebron. The 3rd guy is developmental in that he has flaws either he isn't a good blocker or isn't a good receiver. I want a depth guy potentially, or a FA filling this role.

4. OLine depth - This is one of those positions that I think we have some FAs already in house we could bring back. The starting Oline is pretty well set. Guys like Adams, Whimper, Wallace, Velasco, and Embernate could be our backups.

Defense:

1. Dline - this could still change with Hood, Woods, and/or Keisel are all brought back. Woods I think we are hopefully in a "we understand the business, please let us try to match" type deal.

2. Outside LB depth - Jones and Worilds then....NOTHING

3. Inside LB Depth - This could be a starter if the team doesn't like Williams. I could see Foote coming back still.

4. Cornerback - Ike, Allen, and Gay. 2 of those are in their last year on contract. We gotta get some depth here.

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    We all can remove the names Clinton-Dix, Pryor, Brooks, Bailey, and Buchanon from our mocks. ;)

5. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Am I the only one that wasn't in love with Dix or Pryor but, because there was such a need at safety, talked themselves into wanting either one @15? I like both guys but wasn't excited about either one.

6. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    Yes.

7. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I thought Pryor was really a late 1st round talent at best. I would not have been excited with him at #15.

I just really liked Dix's range. I'm not saying he would have been as productive as Ed Reed, but he had a similar range. I think you can just leave him in the deep middle.

Time to really start looking at the following names at #15: Gilbert, Dennard, Evans, Ebron, Nix, Mosley & Shazier. As much as I want Evans and Gilbert, I think they will be gone. My money is at ILB.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if woods goes elsewhere, we may have to think DE too. I would absolutely hate the nix pick at 15.:cool:

9. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, I would not be thrilled with Nix at #15. His ceiling is BJ Raji, which isn't that great to me.

As for DE possibilities, I think Tuitt & Hageman are both a bit of a reach. I've seen some Kony Ealy talk that I'm not really excited about.

10. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Hageman would be my choice there.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd like to see brent urban with one of our 5ths. I'm still hoping we get the kid from Kentucky with a 7th or as an UDFA rumph.

I was kicking around something like:

1.roby-fuller CB
    2.matthews WR
    3.turner OT/OG still think this shouldn't be let go to far down the draft.
    4.gayle OLB
    5.urban DE
    5.gaines CB
    6.fortt OLB/ILB I think this kid would be a steal at this point.
    7.rumph NT/DE runs a 5.09 at 320 lbs. in the mold of woods but more of an inside player right now. they could work on his DE skills. his speed at that size could allow it. motivation is his trouble. probably hard to get motivated getting your butt kicked every week in Kentucky. had a decent season last year though.

sure would fill some holes and also give us some good depth at spots we need it.:cool:

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    With Mitchell signing it means no safety at #15 which I didn't want anyways. I would draft one in the later rounds maybe, Will Allen and Troy could be gone after 2014.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think it changes anything, they might very well draft a safety round 1. They can get rid of Mitchell after next year with no sweat off their backs....

Shamarko
    Allen
    Mitchell
    Troy

I could see them drafting another guy to compete with Allen and Golden. Its not like he would start next year anyways... It is not likely though, but a safety in round two would be very plausible.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They have a lot of needs, no reason to draft a safety high anymore, move onto your next biggest need. CB, LB and DE take center stage now.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They aren't going to draft a safety in round 1 there isn't enough playing time to go around. You can't tie up that much money in the position, when they have so many other needs.

16. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    Even with all I've said and all that is known they ALWAYS go BPA in the first. Talent is talent. They do a great job on not reaching.

Qbs will still be the hot ticket this year. Guys will fall like Jarvis and decastro and well snatch them up.

I just hope it's Gilbert Dennard Mosley or outside of names a silly good players that shouldn't have fallen. I'll put money on that it will be.

After the draft well all be saying wow I didn't believe he fell to us.

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    To me considering Need and BPA, I think the best position to take will be a WR or CB.

Now if they REALLY think Dix will be one of the best safties to ever play the game(I dont, but could be wrong), why would Steelers pass on that?

Another player I think could be really special is that TE from NC.