1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

mike adams

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Apr 27, 2012.

1. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Failing a drug test you know is coming isn't very smart but not more embarrassing than Ernie Holmes firing shots at a police helicopter on the Ohio Turnpike.

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If he shows up a stud at camp i think they keep him on the right side. Gilbert is our lt and i believe he will be good there. this could make our line pretty impressive. Gilbert/decastro/pounce/colon/adams. All guys under thirty and most under 25. We really could be set for awhile at oline. Colbertand tomlin have done a very good at drafting.

3. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Mike Adams is a true LT where Marcus Gilbert is a true RT and that's where they should play in my opinion.

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    There are some really polarizing views and opinions about Adams. I love the MB because we can get some really good info and there are always guys here who have done a lot of research. Personally, I can see the potential value in Adams and his history does scare me a little bit. I hope he does turn out to be the stud OT and character guy we need but I can still see him being a problem child. I hope not but it could happen. Time will tell. Color me cautiously optimistic on this pick.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he's got skills, the vets need to help mold the kid. in columbus he had very little mentoring. he was the top dog. this should bring him back to earth. he's not a dumb kid. this will be a good lockeroom for him. :cool:

6. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    In the end I think that is how it plays out but not this year I don't really want a rookie on the blindside.

7. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Adams was projected to be a true 1st rd pick until his combine error. The guy is massive, has a great wing span, and has good feet. The fact that he has acknowledged his mistakes and even manned up about them and has already taken steps to correct them means we need to give the guy a break. I think we got lucky once again and had another great 1st rd talent land right in our laps. Look, the Steelers don't mess around with guys that have off field issues. Adams had to have done something right in order for them to take a shot at him after taking him off the board. I'm pretty confident of that.

Embrace the pick guys. We desperately needed to upgrade our horrid offensive line and our 1st two picks instantly did that. We now have our LT! :yeehaw:

8. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I see Adams as our LT and Gilbert at RT myself.

What about putting Colon at LG and DeCastro at RG?

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Obviously I am cheering for the kid. I had him as a 2nd round grade. Its a good value pick IF and I repeat IF, he can make changes and stick with it.

What caught me off guard was the Steelers doing a 180 on their normal policy. I really think had we not taken him, he would fell into the 4th or 5th round. Its one thing to break the rules, its another think to look every coach & GM in the league and lie to them at the Combine.

What's next? Is Vontaze Burfict going to request a meeting with his favorite team and profess to change?

I know I know, I am being a little overdramatic. I just want this pick to work out, but I have no doubt in my mind, that Colbert & Tomlin will not hesitate to throw this guy off the team if he slips up again. We all know the pain of a failed 2nd round pick (Alonzo Jackson & Limas Sweed). I would immediately shackle Adams to DeCastro. I think our 2nd round pick can learn alot from our 1st.

10. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    lmao

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. Gilbert hasn't shown an ability to be a top LT at this point. I'm sure he could get the job done, but the Steelers don't settle for just getting the job done, we want the best at every position. I like Adams better as a LT at this point, assuming he pans out of course. Even forgetting the off-field problems, you never know with a rookie, they are all crap shoots.

As for the drugs, some of you guys need to smoke a bit of weed yourselves. I've never understood the stance many Americans take against such a harmless drug. Up here in Canada it's almost expected that people smoke pot from time to time. Yes, he knew the test was coming so he should have stayed away, but good lord, he's still a kid. I did so many dumb things in my early 20's and even did some dumb things in my mid 20's. He made a mistake, but he did something completely harmless, give the guy a break.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Not to change the subject but if us did legalize it is estimated to be a 14 billion dollar a year difference. also since Amsterdam went legal all other drug use and overdoses have dropped over 50% just saying its weed not heroin

13. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    So, the gist of things is that he's got a weak mind and a weak body. Given that, just what in the hell gives anybody, himself included, the idea that he's gonna be an nfl caliber olineman?

14. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Strength in the gym doesn't always translate to strength on the field. Look at Poe. I have a buddy who is basically a power lifter. He is absolutely shredded and his arms are bigger than my legs. I can toss him around like a rag doll though because he has little functional strength.

If you look at Adam's tape, or read what the analysts say specifically about his on-field play, you'd see this kid could be the top tackle in the draft, or at the very least the 2nd best tackle in the draft.

15. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Does weakness in the gym translate to strength on the field? I know there are exceptions but where are the probabilities?

16. steelerdon

steelerdon Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    I really don't like this pick either,hope I am wrong.

17. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
  18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    No, weakness in the gym doesn't normally translate to strength on the field, but he's not exactly weak, he's still a strong dude, he's just susceptible to power moves. That's where technique comes in though. Great technique can help to overcome lack of strength or speed. A lot of the analysts love this guys footwork and technique and are saying talent wise he's a 1st round pick.

Unless I'm mistaken, Brett Keisel was on the smaller and weaker side when he came into the NFL. He put on muscle and got a lot stronger over the years. Adams will too.

There's always a risk of a rookie being a bust, but Adams doesn't scare me much. It sounds like he's willing to do anything and everything to have a successful career with the Steelers (not just the NFL, he wants to be with the Steelers). He said he plans on being an all-pro one day. He's fired up and feels like he has something to prove.

19. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    In high school we had a dude that broke most of our schools lifting records. He played ot I played dt. I never was huge on lifting but I owned him every practice because of technic.

20. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Wow, that's an amazing set of assumptions. Do you know what you do when you assume?

21. swann_88

swann_88 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    how to get drafted by your favorite team
    1) have a bit of a colored past
    2) don't outdo yourself at the combine (possibly make a real dumb mistake while you're at it)
    3) meet privately with the only team you want to play for
    4) make all kinds of promises and stick to them

suddenly you are 20 places higher on 1 team's board than any other

22. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think it's significant that hewas so desperate to be a Steeler. If he sticks to his commitments, which he made face to face with Tomlin, Colbert etc, then we may have a very good player.

23. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    It would be interesting if this were a little bit orchestrated.

24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Things that make you go hmmm :hmmm:

25. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    How many other NFL draft picks w/ a 1st/2nd round grade negotiate w/ just one team and agree to terms undisclosed and w/ stipulations governing release from the organization? Colbert pretty much said " he'll be on a short lease".Steelers can prolly release him for nothing if he messes up.

The kid signed "something" before he was even drafted and his agent signed off on it to fulfill his dream. Wrap your mind around that in this day and age. In the not so distant future this type of "arrangement" will not be possible.

This is prolly the safest pick we've ever done, not the riskiest as many have suggested.