1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

mike adams

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

:roflmao: yes, that would have been horrible, I loved 80's Steeler football just the way it was.

2. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm okay with building the O line through this draft. Hopefully, it allows Ben to extend his career. As a pick he had a first round rank so hopefully he has a chip on his shoulder and plays up to his potential.

gilbert, ?, pouncey, colon, adams looks decent enough.

3. Colssteel

Colssteel Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Did you forget about DeCastro already? :facepalm:

4. winggin

Oct 23, 2011
    Also, props the moderator or whomever combined the three mike adams threads.

5. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I like the pick.

Despite what folks think about being not to smart to test positive at the combine, well, if you know anything about pot, you know that it can stay in your system for 60 days or more. So, testing positive at the combine is not the greatest thing, but this could have been from a month or so before. Can we say bowl game post game activity? Maybe. I don't know.

I did hear the forgoing of the signing bonus. So it sounds like his agent read him the riot act and said you are gonna lose millions.

So, he writes a letter purely to do damage control. If this kid can get it together, he will be a very good player.

Now, given that without his off field crap, he might have gone in round 1. We need offensive linemen and we now have two gi-normous guys with great potential.

The personal stuff is overcomeable. He is an offensive lineman, not a WR or RB. The light does not always shin on these guys which could get him into further trouble. I think it is worth the risk. If he is willing to throw away his signing bonus, then he has something to prove. He will be looking to make a name on the field and not off the field which in our case will be a good thing.

Hopefully, he can put all this junk behind him. Also, with the potential upside of this, the Steelers might be shopping for budget too here. They probably felt they could sign him for less than he might warrant had he not had the personal issues. But don't believe for a second the Steelers did not do their homework here.

rutan

6. winggin

Oct 23, 2011

Haha, I knew we had a set line. That fact we got Decastro at #24 still doesn't seem real to me. So that could be why I left him out. Also, I'm know as the drunk GM when we do our Mock MB Drafts. So, that could have something to do with it.

7. theotherbigben

theotherbigben Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    I thought lavonte david was gonna be the pick for sure! We might regret that one.

8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't know about this. I really don't know about this. I REALLY wanted help on the o-line I just hope we're not getting someone that is gonna need a babysitter. Maybe they should sit him down and show him Super Bowl 43 and say "You see this number 10 guy right here? Well he's not with this team anymore..." or "You see this number 3 guy right here? He's gone too." He just needs to get the message that we're not gonna put up with any off the field nonsense. I wish him the best and maybe he will use the fear of embarrassment for motivation.

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have never been more embarrassed in all my life as a pittsburgh steeler fan . the big question is what have this team become? Im done with thos draft.

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Little overboard dont ya think. he took responsibility for his actions and posed a self induced fine. so after the Ben and Holmes and reed this is the worst come on now

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :hello:
    :this!:

12. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    Potentially could be another great pick for the Steelers without even having to move. First round talent fell right to them at the bottom of the 2nd. If he can keep his act together, like others have said, we could have a rock solid line for the next decade.

Ben is a very good QB and he runs for his life half the time he's back there. It's now time to see just how good he can be with a stout oline

Blitz

13. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers Depot reporting : Adams went to counseling at request of Colbert

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm a hard core anti-drug guy. I just think it's irresponsible across the board to use drugs. But one of our ALL TIME faves in Steelers history just was arrested for doing something that kills more innocent people than anything and that is Hines Ward drinking and driving. So it's not just Holmes Ben and Reed. But I will try and give this guy a chance although I do think this is a really risky move.

15. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Wow the guy smokes a little weed,,,,realizes he made a mistake.....sure not the smartest thing the guy ever did but wants to make good on it.....could be a top 3 OL guy in NFL in a year or two...and ya all want to just throw him off the cliff.....Put yourselfs in his spot.....Anyone see themselfs here??...I say fool me once shame on you....fool me twice shame on me!!

16. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Mike Adams Met Our "Stipulations"????

On the Official Website, Colbert is quoted as saying, "He requested a face-to-face interview and meeting with myself, Art Rooney II and Coach Tomlin, and we obliged. When Mike came in, we told him he’s off our draft board. These are the stipulations that you have to accomplish for consideration for us to draft you, which the young man did. He met our criteria, he met our stipulations, and we were comfortable in taking him where we took him."

1) What exactly do you think the stipulations were?

2) How did he accomplish meeting them so quickly?

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Hey Myron go to you tube and type in "george w. bush fool me once" That quote just reminded me of this statement he made in my home state of TN one time and it's one of the funniest things ever. I think you will really get a kick out of it. Not trying to get off topic I just think you would like it.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Re: Mike Adams Met Our "Stipulations"????

Another thread said that he went to counseling.

19. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Until age 12, 2nd-rounder OT Mike Adams lived in nearby Farrell, Pa., where high school teams nicknamed Steelers. No wonder he sought them.

Adams grew up a big Steelers fan

20. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What about the "tattoo scandal"?
    That, the failed drug test, he better grow up quick now. This is his one chance.

21. JD99

JD99 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Oh please, give me a break. Go cheer for the Ravens or Bengals then and see what it is like to cheer for a team that has some real problems.

What has this team become? You're embarrassed? Why, cause a kid made a mistake in college and had some weed in his system. I guess you've never obviously heard all of them stories about drug use by our guys in the 70's- 80's, players shooting at helicopters etc.

22. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

Put down the bong and step away slowly.

Now go get yourself a cold beer.

23. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011

Hard to say exactly. If the counseling reports are true, it bodes well for showing his desire and that he means business. There are some good points of discussion in the draft thread here: viewtopic.php?p=53041#p53041

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Someone was saying that maybe he did that stuff after a bowl game. Well do you think if we won the Super Bowl he would then smoke a Super Bowl? DUDE I'M A BAD PERSON AND I REALIZE THAT.

25. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Honestly, can I ask why?

As I've said, he asked for meetings with the Steelers coaches?Colbert who toldhom he was off their board, he made face to face commitments to them that they took at face value. Are we to write off all young people who did drugs at college? You'd be lacking at least 2 Presidents if we are.

He made commitments, of his own bat, I'll give him the chance to prove that he is genuine in his commitment to be a Steeler. If he's lying, you can always come back ad say "I told you so" butwhy not give a young man, just out of college a chance?