1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Adams-(OT) Ohio State

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by colsteveaustin, Jan 30, 2012.

1. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Did any of you watch the Senior Bowl?I know Mike Adams is a OT and we need a OG more But,WOW! He stood out more than any O-lineman.I love his size and smarts.I would be ecstatic if the Steelers drafted him with the 24th pick.I don't think he will be available though.I was very impressed with this guy. Thoughts?

2. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree. Him, Poe or Glenn will be or should be our number one pick.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It was interesting. He looked very hot and cold during the 1v1 drills, but once the game started he was money on pretty much every play. I like him more than I did heading into the week. He can be a legit LT in the NFL for sure.

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I doubt if he makes it past the bears at 19.... Now if could trade up.....

5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I like Adams, much more so after the Senior Bowl (thought for a while we could grab him in the second, but thats not going to happen now). But the only offensive lineman I would be happy to see us trade up for is DeCastro, and he'd have to fall to 18 to make that even close to possible (not worth it to trade 1 and 2, but 1 and 3 i could see.)

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My thoughts exactly. If he gets to 18, give up the 3rd and get him. I'd also be open to swapping a 5th for a 6th or something like that. But not for Adams. Adams you can wait for.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i see us getting one of the higher rated LT/G that are at the top. ya know how they love position flexability. glenn is that type guy. so is the kid from iowa st. just incase colon goes down again or gilbert struggles on the leftside. he did in some games last year. i could see this staff leaning that way and bypassing a true guard like decastro or true LT like adams. :cool:

8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I like Osemel also, but don't see him at #24. Seems to be high to mid 2nd round material. If we trade down for some reason, pick up another third (tampa bay, anyone? they need an ilb, and if hightower and kuechly are off the board, they might want burflict before Balt and NYGs pick) then I could see taking him. Could take Ta'amu with our 2nd, Audie Cole with their third, then maybe a true guard or tackle with our third round pick.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if he can play the position well, i don't care where they take him. :shrug: :cool:

10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Why all the love for Glenn? All of the clips I've seen on him aren't that impressive. He is a big dude and he has some super long arms. But, he doesn't seem to have very good feet which cause him to get rolled by smaller faster DT's and DE's. He also looks fat and soft. I'm probably missing something. Just curious for the folks pimping him, what it is you see in Glenn.

11. The Bus Driver

The Bus Driver Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Adams has overachieved at these type of showcases his entire life, dating back to his early years in high school. At the Army All-American combine, he went from a top 50 recruit to the number 3 overall according to Rivals. It was no surprise to me that his stock boosted so dramatically after the Senior Bowl, and now he is in Arizona working out with the likes of Kalil, John Martin, Dave Decastro, Richardson, RG3, Hightower, Upshaw, which will only bring out the best in him.

Also, as an avid Buckeye fan, I was able to watch closely his body of work against JJ Watt, Adrian Clayborn, as well as going up against our own Cam Heyward daily in practice. This dude is NFL ready, and would love to see us take him at 24 (Buckeye bias aside).

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't dislike adams, though i thought he struggled this year after his suspension, but i think the steelers will take a guy that is said to be big, mobile and able to play tackle if needed. i still say alot depends on essex in the offseason. if he works like he says he's going to this offseason and comes in here in shape and ready to get it , it will be hard to keep him out as the starter and swing guy. he's said it twice last season, so we will see. :cool:

13. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Not sure if is history of overachieving in the spotlight is a ringing endorsement. Coming to OSU so highly touted, he obviously didn't live up to the hype to the point where he needed another strong performance in the Senior Bowl to get people considering him as a 1st rounder again. I like Adams, and as a Buckeye fan as well I think he has potential, but I think he is a far thing from a sure-fire stud LT in the NFL. To me, there are holes that need plugged and areas that need addressed on this team to the point where using a 1st rounder on a LT that isn't a "can't miss" isn't the best way to go.

After watching Gilbert play solidly as a rookie, I like the idea of him moving to LT. And to me, I don't see how we can justify Adams in the 1st (which is now where he'll go it looks like) when we have reason to believe in Gilbert and we still have Colon who is only 29 (although injury prone) at the other T position.

Again, I like Adams, and would be able to be talked into pro-Adams camp, but I really think this team needs to use the 1st round pick on OG (Decastro or Glenn), ILB or NT.

14. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Not sure if is history of overachieving in the spotlight is a ringing endorsement. Coming to OSU so highly touted, he obviously didn't live up to the hype to the point where he needed another strong performance in the Senior Bowl to get people considering him as a 1st rounder again. I like Adams, and as a Buckeye fan as well I think he has potential, but I think he is a far thing from a sure-fire stud LT in the NFL. To me, there are holes that need plugged and areas that need addressed on this team to the point where using a 1st rounder on a LT that isn't a "can't miss" isn't the best way to go.

After watching Gilbert play solidly as a rookie, I like the idea of him moving to LT. And to me, I don't see how we can justify Adams in the 1st (which is now where he'll go it looks like) when we have reason to believe in Gilbert and we still have Colon who is only 29 (although injury prone) at the other T position.

Again, I like Adams, and would be able to be talked into pro-Adams camp, but I really think this team needs to use the 1st round pick on OG (Decastro or Glenn), ILB or NT.[/quote:2npdcrpd]
    Cbus, what do you see in Glenn that would warrant him being a 1st rounder? I can see Decastro being a solid 1st round OL. He is more athletic and strong. He has good feet good strength. I just don't see that in Glenn. As I wrote above, Glenn gets beat a lot by smaller faster DL guys. Glenn doesn't have good feet and because he has such long arms, I think he been able to compensate a bit for his slow feet with those long arms. That won't translate in the NFL because he'll pick up too many holding calls. Also, Glenn looks fat and soft and I'd be surprised if he doesn't have big time struggles with his weight and I would worry about conditioning in the NFL with this guy.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Cbus, what do you see in Glenn that would warrant him being a 1st rounder? I can see Decastro being a solid 1st round OL. He is more athletic and strong. He has good feet good strength. I just don't see that in Glenn. As I wrote above, Glenn gets beat a lot by smaller faster DL guys. Glenn doesn't have good feet and because he has such long arms, I think he been able to compensate a bit for his slow feet with those long arms. That won't translate in the NFL because he'll pick up too many holding calls. Also, Glenn looks fat and soft and I'd be surprised if he doesn't have big time struggles with his weight and I would worry about conditioning in the NFL with this guy.[/quote:25j0jxrz]
    i think this is just what the steelers like. unless they change their thinking of these big guys, which with gilbert i don't see it happening, glenn may be their pick. i think gilbert is going to struggle on the left side. we saw glimpses of it last year. i want mobility. i don't think they do. without it we are wasting pouncey's mobility. i'd love to get 3 guys. not saying they will but , i'd like to see kelemete at LG, looney at RG and mccants brought in as the LT. this would leave gilbert on the right side. i just don't see them changing their big guy tendencies. :cool:

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    You're right about the way they usually draft (big uglies), but then again, the two best OL players they've had in the last 20 years were both smaller, athletic guys. Faneca and Pouncey are what, 310 and 300? Not to mention Arians is gone. I think they are open to it. Although ultimately, who is available will determine what kind of player we get.

Just curious: did you see Gilbert struggling on the left side, or Gilbert struggling on the right side and that's what makes you think he'll struggle on the left?

17. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Cbus, what do you see in Glenn that would warrant him being a 1st rounder? I can see Decastro being a solid 1st round OL. He is more athletic and strong. He has good feet good strength. I just don't see that in Glenn. As I wrote above, Glenn gets beat a lot by smaller faster DL guys. Glenn doesn't have good feet and because he has such long arms, I think he been able to compensate a bit for his slow feet with those long arms. That won't translate in the NFL because he'll pick up too many holding calls. Also, Glenn looks fat and soft and I'd be surprised if he doesn't have big time struggles with his weight and I would worry about conditioning in the NFL with this guy.[/quote:104aoalb]

From some snipets I read, Glenn was pretty impressive at the Sr. Bowl when moving inside to OG as opposed to his normal position of OT. To me, he seems like the kind of guy the Steelers draft as he is big but also seems like he can be somewhat versatile on where he plays on the line. I guess the more I think of it, I would much rather have a solid NT or ILB in Round 1 as opposed to Glenn. Decastro, obviously, is a different story...I just am having trouble envisioning a scenario in which that is realistic...

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    on the left side. yea, i just don't think he is mobile enough to handle guys with speed and direction change. i think we could do better for that spot. we also had another pretty good mobile center here too don't forget. :) :cool:

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    on the left side. yea, i just don't think he is mobile enough to handle guys with speed and direction change. i think we could do better for that spot. we also had another pretty good mobile center here too don't forget. :) :cool:[/quote:ehl3bvcz]
    Right you are! I was thinking in terms of when they were drafted, but Dawson did play within the last 20 years. Can't believe he's not in the Hall of Fame. Point is, being a big huge fatso is only an advantage at all if you have the strength to go with it, and some of our fatsos don't. I think Colon and Foster have it. Kemo doesn't, and Starks is not nearly as strong as he should be for someone that huge. Gilbert isn't bad, and might get stronger. So if you aren't going to get strength out of an oversized guy, you might as well go with someone fast enough and coordinated enough to get there and seal off a lane, even if it's not as punishing-looking. I hope they are open to that, and I think they might be.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Right you are! I was thinking in terms of when they were drafted, but Dawson did play within the last 20 years. Can't believe he's not in the Hall of Fame. Point is, being a big huge fatso is only an advantage at all if you have the strength to go with it, and some of our fatsos don't. I think Colon and Foster have it. Kemo doesn't, and Starks is not nearly as strong as he should be for someone that huge. Gilbert isn't bad, and might get stronger. So if you aren't going to get strength out of an oversized guy, you might as well go with someone fast enough and coordinated enough to get there and seal off a lane, even if it's not as punishing-looking. I hope they are open to that, and I think they might be.[/quote:3bdjpqgb]

i hope so too. i remember back in the day, we didn't have alot of big guys , we really had some of the shortest O-linemen around and they made up for it in quickness and smarts to go along with STRONG. terry long was one of my favorites. haselrig. mullins. wolfley. webbie. tunch. strelzyk. jackson. brown. searcey. sorry having one of those flashback moments. :-D our linemen of the late 70's and mid to late 80's would all lift together and want to be stronger then each other which pushed them working out. they had fun at it. i don't see that much dedication to that anymore.

i still have high hopes for essex. i think it really hit home to him about not being signed to come to camp and was out of football for a short while. he had two interviews that he made known he will be in shape and lose weight coming into camp next year. he did that a couple of years ago and we were on the verge of cutting him, but when he came in lighter he was one of our best linemen and it showed. he made it hard for them to get rid of him. then like max and the rest he swelled back up leading to him not being signed until later last year. you are right about kemo. i never did like him and always made it known. i got flamed for it too for a few years. max was the same way. i've never seen a guy 6-8 350lbs. get absolutely run over by a guy 260lbs. as much as max does.

i want smart, strong and mobile guys on our line. it just makes sense with the way our qb plays the game. when ben is running around extending plays, our slow linemen have one chance to make a block then they stand and watch. a mobile lineman at least has a chance to help out when he comes running back by them. we have to seal the middle of the pocket of whats coming in bens face and maybe he will stay in there longer. 3 quick strong amigo's on the interior would fit the bill. we would be deadly. have you seen kelemete play much? i still see some pouncey in him. :cool:

21. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Right you are! I was thinking in terms of when they were drafted, but Dawson did play within the last 20 years. Can't believe he's not in the Hall of Fame. Point is, being a big huge fatso is only an advantage at all if you have the strength to go with it, and some of our fatsos don't. I think Colon and Foster have it. Kemo doesn't, and Starks is not nearly as strong as he should be for someone that huge. Gilbert isn't bad, and might get stronger. So if you aren't going to get strength out of an oversized guy, you might as well go with someone fast enough and coordinated enough to get there and seal off a lane, even if it's not as punishing-looking. I hope they are open to that, and I think they might be.[/quote:3rco99ms]

i hope so too. i remember back in the day, we didn't have alot of big guys , we really had some of the shortest O-linemen around and they made up for it in quickness and smarts to go along with STRONG. terry long was one of my favorites. haselrig. mullins. wolfley. webbie. tunch. strelzyk. jackson. brown. searcey. sorry having one of those flashback moments. :-D our linemen of the late 70's and mid to late 80's would all lift together and want to be stronger then each other which pushed them working out. they had fun at it. i don't see that much dedication to that anymore.

i still have high hopes for essex. i think it really hit home to him about not being signed to come to camp and was out of football for a short while. he had two interviews that he made known he will be in shape and lose weight coming into camp next year. he did that a couple of years ago and we were on the verge of cutting him, but when he came in lighter he was one of our best linemen and it showed. he made it hard for them to get rid of him. then like max and the rest he swelled back up leading to him not being signed until later last year. you are right about kemo. i never did like him and always made it known. i got flamed for it too for a few years. max was the same way. i've never seen a guy 6-8 350lbs. get absolutely run over by a guy 260lbs. as much as max does.

i want smart, strong and mobile guys on our line. it just makes sense with the way our qb plays the game. when ben is running around extending plays, our slow linemen have one chance to make a block then they stand and watch. a mobile lineman at least has a chance to help out when he comes running back by them. we have to seal the middle of the pocket of whats coming in bens face and maybe he will stay in there longer. 3 quick strong amigo's on the interior would fit the bill. we would be deadly. have you seen kelemete play much? i still see some pouncey in him. :cool:[/quote:3rco99ms]
    I'm with you Mac. I hope Kugler will have some input into the matter. Kugler wasn't a big fat body when he played even though he never played in the NFL. He also see that he has a history at TE coach, so I'm hoping that Kugler prefers the quicker, more physically fit athlete on OL rather than the fat sweaty big bodies that we've had in the past. These guys need to spend more time conditioning and on the weight pile. I think the biggest reason for the injuries, especially early in the season is due to poor conditioning. Our fat sweaty big bodies have demonstrated that smaller faster DT's and DE's can eat their lunch.

22. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I don't see it either.I noticed all the false starts he committed in the Senior Bowl.He does look slow,soft and fat.

23. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
  24. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    To me Adams is a project. He's shown flashes of brilliance, but has also been very inconsistent.

That's not a bad thing, but I'd rather get someone like DeCastro or Hightower that could see the field quickly.