1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mid Season Reflection

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by The Glory Days, Nov 11, 2019.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    No...can't...credit...Tomlin...must...bash...must...

Okay, I can't believe I'm saying this. But I have to give him some like. (I will not give him love)

From Labriola:

"The victory was the Steelers' fourth in a row, their fifth in the last six games after an 0-3 start, and their 5-4 record has them as the No. 6 team in the AFC. And it should be remembered that six teams from each conference qualify for the playoffs. The Steelers have done all of this since losing their franchise quarterback for the season to a right elbow injury that required surgery, and they have done all of this in the midst of a rash of other injuries that has had them playing without their top two running backs for the last two weeks."

There's nothing there that we don't know, but it still bears repeating.

I have said over and over that the head coach is ultimately responsible for the success of the team. If they come out flat, it's on him. Not focused? Him. Play down to the level of their opponent? You guessed it

So I would be a hypocrite if I also didn't give him credit for "ultimately being responsible for the success of the team" when the team is actually successful.

This team is gutting out wins. They aren't pretty. They are hard to watch at times. They are a makeshift, patchwork combination of veterans, youngsters, starters, and reserves. This isn't the team we expected to compete in the AFC this season.

This isn't even the season we expected this season. This was supposed to be the season our offense stuck it to AB and Bell and proved that we were fine without them. Well THAT little experiment went up in flames real quick, didn't it. Our rushing AND receiving production are both certainly missing something.

But with all the injuries, all the upheaval, all the mistakes, and all the losses that could have been wins, we are actually competing.

And we are actually getting fun to root for again. I actually like this young group of guys in their underdog role. There's no prima donna jerkwad to ruin the chemistry. There's no locker room pariah getting upset because of a lack of "me" time. I genuinely like this team more than I have in a while.

And maybe we all needed to remember what it felt like to not be mentioned as one of the elite teams for a change. As fans, we have been spoiled for a while with the talent we get to watch on Sundays. I, for one, am enjoying being a fan again.

And as much as I hate to say it, Tomlin is ultimately responsible for that. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  3. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Tomlin is a bad xs and os coach but the players will run through a wall for him.... That I will give him........

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Nice to see someone appreciate what Tomlin has done while he is here.

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I can't disagree.

If i'm going to be critical of Tomlin when he deserves it, I also have to give credit where it's due.

If we make the playoffs: Coach of the Year.

• Like Like x 2
  7. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Let's do more than show up. If we make a splash in the playoffs and go out making anyone who plays us really earn the victory, then maybe he should be considered. I'll go that far.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This can't be overstated enough. Can you imagine the bs going on right now with psycho boy me first AB still here? Think he would be taking his down production in stride?

And yes, his number would be way down, if people want to buy into some fantasy that they wouldn't thats there right but back in reality, his production would suck compared to what he is used to.

It would be ugly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Ugly like Yukon Cornelius thinking about the bumble.

bumble.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    We'll see how we do against a bad Stains team tomorrow. Last year from 7-2-1 to 9-6-1 with Ben. Does history repeat itself? This team look to be one walking on a razors edge and can fall off at any time IMO>