1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Sam could now be the steal of the draft.

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Bgunn, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Bgunn

Bgunn Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Considering the Steelers need help on defense, the SEC defensive player of the year could be available for the Steelers. The Rooneys lead the charge to help minority coaches get hired, so are they up for leading the way for a young gay player looking to make an impact in the NFL? If he's got the goods and impresses in the combine, I hope the Steelers grab him.

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ooooooh, it's going to be fun watching this thread spiral out of control, lol.

Personal feelings aside, does this guy want to be identified as a football player or as a GAY football player? If he's a good football player and can help the team, I'd have no problem drafting him. But the fact that he's come out a couple of months ahead of the draft tells me that he may be looking to grab the mantle as the first openly gay NFL player. If that's the case, do we really want and need the distraction?

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Missouri DE/OLB Mike Sam announces he's gay

Man that's bold to come out two weeks before the combine. It will be interesting to see how it affects his draft status, he's projected to be drafted in the third round.

4. Bgunn

Bgunn Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    From what I read, he came out to his Missouri teammates and apparently the rumors were flying. It sounded like this was his way of getting out in front of it. Sounds like the NFL vets players in the draft like the CIA does recruits. I think he'd only be as much a distraction as the team allows him to be. The Steelers handled all the Big Ben rape stuff in stride. They surely could handle this IF he's worthy. I don't follow the combines so I don't know if he's the real deal or not. Just hope the Steelers wouldn't pass on him if he's capable. Heck we've already had a Gay player on D. (sorry couldn't resist).

5. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    And don't forget Cody Wallace. :roflmao:

6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    In all seriousness, I don't think he's necessarily the kind of player that represents a need for the Steelers this year.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe they can practice together in the offseason.:smiley1::cool:

8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    :lolol: I told you this thread would spiral out of control, I just didn't expect it this quickly.

9. Bgunn

Bgunn Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Because our DEs have been so effective with an abundance of sacks? We've gone whole games without pressuring the QB much less touching him. I know the secondary sucks and we need that but I didn't think we were so strong at any defensive position that we could afford to overlook a talented player.

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    *Merged w/existing thread and moved to appropriate forum

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    He's a 4-3 DE. He'd be an OLB here.

12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    What round is Sam projected to go in? I don't think we go DE/OLB in the first three rounds.

13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    the gay thing aside. I don't think he fits in a 3-4. he doesn't hold up against the run well. auburn exposed him. he gets up the field great. a lot of distractions are gonna come with him. I would pass on the play on the field but that coupled with the other. no thanks

14. Bgunn

Bgunn Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Agreed, that was my point, if he's talented, we could use him because we need help everywhere on D.

15. Bgunn

Bgunn Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    I think you are right, we have other needs, but the point on my thread was that he could be a steal if other teams pass on him. He's projected mid 1st round from what I've read.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    No way Sam is a 1st round prospect regardless of sexual orientation. Not sure how and if this news effects his draft stock, but he was likely looking at day 3 unless something changes.

17. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I'd like to believe and also hope the city of Pittsburgh and the organization of the steelers could see beyond something like this.
    That being said, he wouldn't fit in because of the scheme we run. He doesn't have the weight to be pushed inside to DE.
    Yet, I wouldn't have an issue with him being converted to OLB. He can get up field and rush a passer. You can teach technique in space.

I do think this hurts his stock. Hell fall to the 4th or later because of his sexual orientation.

18. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think we have enough oversized olb. the de to olb experiment has failed more than succeeded or at least for us. I mean Woodley has even been a disappointment

19. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    For me, I think the point is this...I don't care who he likes in his bed....as long as a couple of things are true:

1. The guy can play some football.
    2. If we draft him, it better be because he fills a need for us.
    3. That he isn't in the announcement for the fame. I don't want the drama associated with that.
    4. That the Steelers don't draft him to make a political point....the draft is about football....nothing more...nothing less.

20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He would be kinda short for a 3-4 pass rushing OLB, but he certainly has the burst, quickness, and leverage to be effective. He would certainly be somewhat of a project tho. I've seen him compared to Elvis Dumervil (also a short pass rusher), but idk if that is because of his game or his stature. Either way, he performed very well against good competition. If his draft stock falls and we find him available in the 4th or 5th round, I wouldn't be against drafting him.

21. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Short??

I'm confused. The kid is 6'3" tall.

James Harrison 6'0"
    Jarvis Jones 6'2"
    Lamar Woodley 6'2"
    Joey Porter 6'3"

Short is not an issue.

22. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    So is James Harrison. ;)

I never saw him play. I'm not a big college guy. But I'll assume that he must be pretty good - at least at the college level - if he got SEC defensive player of the year and all-American honors.

We'll see how he does at the combine.

I'm not sure OLB is a pressing need for us. Well, we have so many needs, but I'm not sure this is top 3. But IF he has a good showing at the combine and IF he falls to us at a spot where taking him is a good choice, grab him.

As to the whole gay issue: if you think he's the only college or NFL player out there who's gay, you're naive. I don't think he did this for fame or notoriety. It shouldn't, but it could very well give teams a slight pause and cost him a draft round or 2, which in turn costs him money. Seeing as he came out to his own teammates last year, I believe him when he says he just wanted to get in front of the rumor mill.

It shouldn't be a big deal. It really shouldn't. But considering the nature of this sport and the hyper-machismo that goes along with it, it still kind of is. Good luck to him. IF he has the stuff to excel in the NFL, he will. If he doesn't, his persuasion should, and likely will have nothing to do with it. But take this to the bank. If he does excel, the gates will open. Oh, I don't think for a second there'd be more than a handful or so of players come out. But the small percentage who are may feel more at ease to stop hiding.

23. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Beat me to it. :)

24. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    I thought about this too. NFL teams are terrified to attract publicity to their team if it can be construed as bad press. There are a lot of people who don't approve of homosexuality.

If Michael Sam can be had in the later rounds I think Steeler Nation should get behind him- Sam wants that shot and the Steelers should give it to him.

Steelers need all the 3-4 OLB they can get and Sam in a late round would be a steal.

I have always thought it was ridiculous the "Rooney Rule" was accredited to the Steelers when Ray Rhodes with the Eagles, Dennis Green with the Vikings etc. came long before.

Now the Steelers have an actual chance to be the first team to give an opportunity to a minority.

Kudos to Sam for having the guts to come out- he is a better man than most of us.

25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    :this!: I've read some reports saying he was a mid to late round prospect anyway. Hell, some guys that have been early round prospects went un-drafted. I can see him getting this out to stay ahead of the rumors, but I can't help thinking that if this kid is passed up, then the media circus is going to pin it on him being gay and that's not right either in my book.