1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Miami CB Corn Elder

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Mar 18, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Maybe it's because I live in Nebraska, but Corn Elder is becoming one of my favorites as a slot CB. A great tackler and does better than most at breaking off the receiver to go after the ball carrier on run plays. Shows good awareness that way. Most of his weaknesses are size related. But you watch him on tape and he is not afraid of contact in the least, even taking on pulling linemen. Size concerns did not sway Pittsburgh away from taking Golson. Gunner on STs too. Experience as a returner is a bonus even though Tomlin doesn't like defensive guys returning kicks.

As it gets closer to draft time, it will be interesting to see the body type of corners the Steelers bring in for visits. Hopefully Elder and Dwayne Thomas LSU are on their watch list for that slot CB position.

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpos...-why-corn-elder-is-miami-hurricanes-real-mvp/

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...lder-inspired-by-tyrann-honey-badger-mathieu/

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/corn-elder?id=2558171

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I agree, but I don't think he has value until at least the fifth round, maybe the fourth. If we haven't gone cb before then, I think he's a good pick up.

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was thinking our 3rd rnd comp pick:lolol:. If the board plays out they could use the 3rd round to target an outside corner and a slot corner with the comp pick or vice versa. I'd rather them spend a higher round pick (compared to waiting until the 5th or 6th) on a slot CB because the potential to play a lot of snaps is there with an aging Gay and question mark in Golson.

If they went
    1. OLB
    2. FS or WR
    3. CB
    3. CB

I could be on board with that.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would love it. I look at tape. Not measurables. Kid can play

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    The Steelers picked Golson...

Golson 5'9" 176 29-3/4 arm length 9-3/8 hand 4.46 40 15 reps 33.5 vert 10' broad

Elder 5'10" 183 31-1/4 arm length 8-3/4 hand 4.55 40 I'm assuming he'll do other tests at Pro Day

Kazee 5'10" 184 30-7/8 arm length 8-5/8 hand 4.54 40 11 reps 34 vert 10'4" broad

They are all comparable with the physical measurables.

Golson 6 INTs, 0 FF, 0 FR 11 PD 47 games
    Elder 3 INTs 1 FF, 5FR 27 PD 43 games
    Kazee 17 INTs, 6 FF, 1FR, 29 PD 53 games

Kazee has a big edge in turnovers though.

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Jeremy Cutrer is becoming my guy 4th or 5th round, not a lot of film on him great ball skills:

• Named First Team All-C-USA
    • Named First Team All-C-USA by Phil Steele
    • Invited to the 2017 East-West Shrine Game
    • Named to the Jim Thorpe Award Watch List and the Senior Bowl Watch List
    • Earned the Grinder award for cornerbacks in the spring
    • Played in all 13 games and had 11 starts
    • Was fifth on the team with 64 stops and led team in interceptions (3) and pass breakups (10)
    • Had six or more tackles seven times
    • Led team with three pass breakups in win over Alabama A&M
    • Turned in eight tackles, including 1.5 TFLs to go with a forced fumble and a pass breakup at North Texas
    • Collected seven stops in win at Bowling Green
    • Had two interceptions against FAU and one against WKU

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

not a big deal but i got kazee at 30 passes defensed. the thing that stuck out to me and how willing to tackle.

golson total tackles in 4 years 91

elder 158

kazee 239

thats one thing that sticks out to me and what gay was pretty good at. coming up to make tackles in the run game and short passing game. kazee does this well.

:cool:

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I have only seen one game of Kazee and him and Elder are damn near the same player. Both very willing to tackle and pretty good at it for smaller guys. Kazee has a lot more production. I would be OK with either tbh.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Draft a outside CB, we don't need another midget slot CB.

12. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    You know for 90% of the league who throws out CBs which have some size, I get why we would want some size, but against NE what I think you really want is guys who can change direction quickly and close down available space. Guys who have really high shuttle times. The only way you can play man against them is if you have fast shifty corners. I do believe with Gay and Sensabaugh and Golson we probably have enough slot guys, but we could stand to add someone to Burns and Cockrell on the outside.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree with most of this, but I would HOPE they add another slot CB prospect in the draft. I don't have much faith in Golson, and think they should prepare for him not being productive. Was the Sensabaugh signing their preparation? IDK, but you could put Golson on the practice squad for a year if it doesn't click for him being out for 2 years. Especially if a new pick comes in and performs well.

I agree we need an outside corner this draft as well. I would hope their draft strategy is to acquire a player of each type. They need competition at both nickel and outside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I've finally had a chance to watch a few of his games. He's a really good football player. If he were 2 inches taller, and 15 lbs. heavier, he'd probably be in the day 1 conversation. Very good in zone and man, plus he's a heck of a gunner to boot. Great tackler for his size. Destroyer of outside screens.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not to change the subject from corn, but a guy that has fallen off the radar because of an injury last year is william likely from maryland. the kid blew out a knee in oct. of last year and if he's back soon would be a great pick up as an UDFA. thats probably where he will go. one of the best punt and KO returners in the country before the injury and a really good corner for his 5-7 size. if not for the injury he would have gone in the first 3 rounds. academic all american. lott impact award watch list. 1,197 return yards in 2015. broke big 10 return records that were 75 years old. all big 10 first team honors. i was watching him the game he got hurt. that was sad. he's one heck of a player for his size. fearless.

another guy in the same boat and his knee went in sept. was devon edwards from duke. cb and a really good fs. 5-8 180 just made plays for duke. either of these guys could reap benifits down the road if brought in after the draft as UDFA's and put on the PS. edwards was also a pretty good kick returner. over 30 yds. a return. either would be worth grabbing as priority FA's. both guys could be close to being back from injury by the time camp gets going. :cool:

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    speaking of likely, the nfl channel just had him at marylands pro day doing drills. all the drills. 5 months after his knee injury. what a freak. that is amazing. he'd be a steal in rd. 7. short but plays big. punt and kick returner too and a very good one. :eek::cool:

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Well children of the corn, if they draft elder it will be after they do their due diligence, will they even have him on their target board, will they go away from drafting long DBs 6FT and over like they did last year, what round are they willing to draft him in? A lot goes into whether they will even consider him in this draft that is loaded with defensive players this year......

Biggest concern:

• Not a good fit in man coverage.
    • Prone to be beaten by double moves. Bites too hard on the initial move and is left for dust with the second.
    • Struggles against bigger receivers. Another reason why he is a better fit on the inside at the next level.
    • Not really a playmaker. Had just three interceptions and 13 pass breakups over the past three years.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not going to lie, I do not put in the required time as some of you in evaluating
    future Steelers. In a cornerback I am looking for two things.
    Can he cover a WR man to man and can he tackle? In a safety does he have great balls skills, can he close, does he have good hands, Good tackler, is he willing to tackle?
    These are some of the traits I hope our Steelers draft department are using when
    evaluating future Steelers. Go Steelers.

19. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Yeah we do, because right now it's a dilapidated version of Will Gay and we also have Senquez Golson, who is talented but only vaguely familiar with football at this point. He is also the kind of guy who puts a gun in his carry-on and doesn't think anyone needs to know