1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

mendy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jan 17, 2012.

1. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I like the comment about putting them both in the backfield. Red can be the fullback and Mendy can be the tailback that follows him.

2. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Better plan: dump the deadweight on the OL, draft/sign better players there, keep Mendenhall, and have one of the best all-around backs in the league tear it up.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Alright, let me clear things up for you since you left the SF game early. You basically saw all his yards. Mendenhall had 1 carry early in the 4th quarter, for 1 yard. It's quite possible you missed that one. Two plays after the score became 13-3, Mendenhall had 1 carry for 10 yards. You would have missed that one only if you left right after the 49ers' field goal. Surely you saw the rest, in which he went 13 for 53, mostly in the first half. So much for mop up duty. That's an average of just over 4 yards per carry. I'm not here to brag about his average against the 49ers, I'm here to say you are a classic living example of who I'm talking about. He actually had a great game against SF. He earned pretty much every yard he got all by himself. Anyone watching and judging him honestly would agree. I'm sure PWP is one of those people. But where were you during those runs? Or during any of his good games this year? Were you in the bathroom? Unlikely. You just block it out like it didn't happen, and then either forget it or make up a story later. Then you say, "OMG all he does is dance!" and forget all the times he ran right through somebody.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbypla ... 5&period=0

Comparing him to Willie Parker destroys any credibility you might have had anyway. Parker was never in Mendenhall's league, ever. You continue to read box scores and twitter and remember whichever runs you choose, I'll watch the games.

4. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    No no, we drop Mendenhall and run our tough running back with terrible blockers.

5. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Sure, but look at the teams. All of them excluding SF are in the basement of the NFL. Also if you take away the STL game he ran for 3.55 ypc. I'm almost positive that Redman would do better.

6. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Check your math. I already did the minus St. Louis thing. He's at 4.2 YPC. I don't know why you'd go around not counting games in the first place, unless it fit your incorrect argument.

Cincinnati and San Francisco are Top 10 rushing defenses and were playoff teams.

7. SteelYourPoints

Oct 18, 2011
    First off my bad on the math. Second how can an opinion be incorrect? In my opinion Redman is the better overall back. But here is a fact. Redman is on the season 4.4 ypc. He also ran for 7.1 ypc in Denver. When was the last time Mendy had an average like that?

8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Willie Parker only had better numbers because we had a far better line, that's it. A good line will make a good RB look great, a bad line will make a good RB look like trash. If the blocking isn't there, the RB has nowhere to go, period.

Mendy has all the skills that Forte does, and if we used him like Chicago uses Forte, Mendy would put up similar numbers.

9. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    The opinion that Redman is better than Mendenhall itself isn't incorrect. However, when you're attempting to argue for your opinion, and a part of the argument needs the skewing of facts to prove a point, then it's leaning towards invalidity.

Okay, Redman has a whole .3 more YPC on the season with 110 fewer carries.

He's not the starter; teams don't have much film on him nor to they really know his tendencies, strengths, weaknesses, etc. like they most certainly do with Mendenhall. You simply cannot compare a one-off game to multiple seasons of being a starting running back.

This is simply getting ridiculous now. In no way is Redman a better overall running back than Mendenhall. All Redman offers is a bit more power. If they would address the Oline, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Mendenhall had 6.3 YPC against Jacksonville and 6.4 against St. Louis this season. In 2010 he had a 7.5 YPC game against Tampa Bay. In 2009 he had a 7.0 YPC game against Denver and a 6.9 YPC game against Minnesota. He's also had several games at or above 5 YPC.

Expecting to get more than 4.5 YPC from your starter for a full season is a bit unrealistic.

10. SteelYourPoints

Oct 18, 2011

So the last time he had an average comparable to Redmans playoff game was in 2010. Granted teams have more film on Mendenhall but there is no doubting Denver's overall defensive performance this season. Maybe what I'm most frustrated in is that dancing and dodging in the backfield. The best thing to do in that situation is exactly what Red is best at. Putting your head down and pushing forward. If nothing else than to get back to the line of scrimmage. If our offensive line wasn't made of toilet paper then yeah Mendenhall might be better as he can use his speed better but as is you can't convince me otherwise.

11. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    A game with YPC over 6 is uncommon. 7 is just ridiculous.

You see Mendenhall dancing and dodging so much because the offensive line is just bad at blocking. The guards just get pushed back so quickly that he has no other choice most of the time.

When you have a RB of his talent, you don't throw him aside because the less talented guy behind him runs better behind a bad offensive line, you fix the offensive line!

12. SteelYourPoints

Oct 18, 2011

That we can agree on. If the offensive line wasn't so offensive we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. In no way do I want to throw Mendenhall aside. He has a lot of talent. However in our current situation I think Redman should play a larger role.

13. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I just want to bump this reply. I agree, wholeheartedly.

BTW, Mendy averaged 4.3 yds/carry against SF who was supposed to have one of the stingiest run defenses in the league. At the time of that game SF defense was allowing only about 3.3 yds/carry on average among all other teams they had played. Mendy blew that stat out of the water by a full yard, on average.

14. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Since you are interested in full body of work, then please consider the following: coaching style, offensive scheme/focus and O-Line play.

15. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm concerned Red will not last doing this. He's not built like Bettis. Nobody is. Superhumans like Bettis come along about as often as Micheal Jordan, Tiger Woods, Wayne Gretzky and Serena Williams. You just don't get the same thing in the same sport that often.

And all that dancing you're referring to... I saw Mendy do that in a few games to keep from getting tackled for a loss, but I guess that doesn't count. I've also seen him do that to turn a huge gain. I've also seen him hit the hole hard. As a matter of fact didn't he score a couple touchdowns agains the Bengals like that? On one of them he had to plow through the O-Line and opposing D-Line because all his blocks fell apart while he was trying to get through the hole!

No credit to Mendy for that though... It's a damned shame...

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Since you are interested in full body of work, then please consider the following: coaching style, offensive scheme/focus and O-Line play.[/quote:6xorisu9]
    Hmm....

Bill Cowher (commitment to run) + Ken Whisenhunt + Marvel Smith + Alan Faneca + Jeff Hartings + Kendall Simmons + Max Starks

vs.

Mike Tomlin (no such commitment) + Bruce Arians (ha!) + Jon Scott/Max Starks + Chris Kemoeatu/Trai Essex + Maurkice Pouncey/Doug Legursky + Ramon Foster + Marcus Gilbert

Hmm....

Actually, I surrender. Willie Parker was clearly the superior back. Stats don't lie. :roflmao: