1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

mendy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jan 17, 2012.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there was an article in the national football post that said the steelers are going to hold off on any extension for mendy until they see what he can do after reconstructive surgery to his knee. :cool:

2. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's reasonable. I think that Mendenhall just lacks confidence that he won't get hurt by playing like Redman. In one of his first games in the NFL he broke his shoulder playing that way.

3. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Heck I would just go ahead and release him we got a rb

5. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    This could go either way...
    If he has a breakout season, it will be more and more expensive to hold him.
    Otherwise, it will look as a smart move from our FO.

Either way, he will split carries with Redman next season. Hopefully, Redman can play the way he ended the season for 3 or 4 years, Dwyer will be back and so B Batch, along with Mendy. So we have good problems at RB... but we still need to find who will block for them!

6. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Redman, compared to Mendenhall, is a one-trick pony. He's an up-the-gut guy. He's a short yardage guy. Mendehall can go up the middle, around the edge, beat guys in space, and add to the passing game significantly (SURPRISE! I think BA underutilizes him as a receiver; at Illinois he was an explosive dual-threat RB). He's an alright blocker, too.

I feel like people jump on Redman's bandwagon because he runs hard. That's fine, but it can't be your only worthwhile attribute if you're going to be a starter in today's NFL.

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Dude he catches almost every ball thrown his way......He also has a better spin move than Mendenhall because his is tighter and faster...He also shows great ability to make a guy miss in open space....Watch his runs see him leave Defenders on the ground in open space...

Redman is also the best blitz PU guy on the Team....I have 1 paly that proves it....Last year in the Ravens game he picked up Ngnata and Lewis on the same play.....I would be willing to bet that no one in the NFL has ever done that before......

The bottom line is Red is the more complete RB and you sir are not actually watching the way he plays....

8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Mendy dances too much. :amen:

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Redman just fits the mold of a Steelers back. He may be a one-trick pony, in the same way Jerome Bettis and Barry Foster were one-trick ponies. Redman's average per carry is much better than Mendy's mainly because Mendy likes to dance behind the line way too much. To Redman it's simple. See the hole and hit it hard and don't go down on the first hit. Make the defense earn it. I thought it was pretty telling when Max Starks said the Browns defenders at the end of the game were arguing with each other about who was going to tackle Redman. They used to do the same thing with Bettis.

10. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    1. Mendenahall clocked a 4.45 at the combine. Given his size, that is great. Redman ran in the 4.7s out of college. He is not faster than Mendenhall.
    2. Mendenhall's spin move isn't really his go to move. He's a cut-back guy, uses small stutters steps and such. Stupid comparison.
    3. Redman is probably a better blocker. Mendenhall isn't bad, though. However, blocking ability isn't anywhere near the top of the priority list when it comes comparison starting NFL running backs.
    4. Mendenhall is the better receiving RB, meaning: 1. He can catch 2. He has the ability to turn out solid YAC. Redman isn't anywhere near as explosive, so Mendenhall has the advantage.

I've watched them play plenty. Mendenhall is a far superior athlete and a better option as an every-down back. Redman is a nice power option and short yardage guy. Believe me, if Redman becomes the starter and teams are actually analyzing him and adjusting their schemes to take him out, he's going to be easily bottled up.

11. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Redman is probably a better fit for a terrible O line because he can sometimes make a hole where there is none but he is painfully slow. Mendenhall, behind a good line and healthy, is a much more complete back.

12. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Why would you go with a one-trick pony when you have a guy that can do that one-trick, plus several others? Like I said, people are just getting carried away with Redman because he runs harder than Mendenhall. That's just one aspect of the position and definitely not the be-all and end-all.

Mendenhall's YPC is 4.1 this year while Redman's is 4.4. That's not "much". You also have to consider that 1. Mendenhall is the starter, which means teams are actually studying him and scheming to stop him 2. He has more carries, 118 more to be exact.

13. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    this X100

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You're confused, Wallace is the one trick pony on the team :lolol: Anyway, Mendy is most likely done, hard to come back from the injury he sustained. Redman can definitely get the job done, proves it every time he gets the chance.

15. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    what is the Steelers mold for a RB? lol just cause our last GREAT one was a big power back doesnt make it the Steelers mold! Franco and a BUNCH more we have had doesnt fit the Steelers mold i guess! i ask any one this Name 5 all time great BIG backs in the history of the NFL? cant do it GREAT big power runners are RARE!!!! :herewego:

16. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Rooney himself said it in his interview thing with the media recently (the same one where he mentioned possible coaches retiring, his dad stepping down from being Ambassador, and Ben not getting sacked as much, etc). Nothing new really...but the obvious way to take things...why would they do it any other way? hahah

17. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    We'll see what happens with the injury. ACL repair is pretty advanced now. He may comeback good as new.

18. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    X1000

I think people are forgetting that during his last 3-4 games Mendy was playing more up-the-gut style mixed in with his finesse style. He was having success. Too bad he got injured.

I like Redman as an RB. I just don't believe he'll last running the way he does. It takes a physical wonder like Bettis to do that. Most other backs will be broken in just a few seasons. And remember... Bettis also actually had an O-Line that could run block.

19. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have asked the same question and even created a thread about that subect (Steeler RB).
    As far as all-time great big power backs: Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, Jerome Bettis, Larry Csonka, John Riggins, Christiam Okoye, Mike Alstot (these are ones I can recall, there may be more in the olders days of the league)

Who are the power backs of today? Turner, Peterson, Blount, Hillis, Benson, Lynch, Foster, Jacobs...

20. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I don't think we have ANY idea what we have with Mendenhall for next year. Heck, he probably won't even be ready to go in pre-season. When/if he does come back, what kind of effectiveness are we going to see? Is he going to be able to be full-go by the 2nd month of the season? The second half?? How do we make any kinds of comparisons based on a very serious injury. Also, regarding Mendenhall's speed. Can we really anticipate that he is going to come back as fast and agile as before.

On top of all of that - just how much does Mendenhall's skillset contribute over time? In other words, how many impact plays do we see from him during a season? Sure, he may have a 100-yard game or a 1,000 yard season, but I'm talking about the quality that we get from him when it counts. If he rushes for 25 yards in the first half of a blowout - averaging 1.5 yards a carry, and then gets 75 yards in the 2nd half because the Steelers are milking the clock and the opponent is getting tired, that doesn't necessarily equate to a quality contribution in my mind.

I love Mendenhall - don't get me wrong, but I'm thinking that Redman is the starter going into next season and we'll see where Mendy is regarding his rehab. If he can come back and add to the quality of the rushing attack, excellent. If not, the Steelers need to be prepared to do without him.

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    What is this steelers mold of a running back. Bam morris and the bus were the only true power backs to start for the steelers that did anything. Franco and bananas had some finesse to them and fwp was pure finesse he had 3 straight 1000 yard season amd would havw lead the league in rushing had he not broken his leg. How many people were saying get rid of parker before he hurt his leg because he "didnt fit the steelers mold"

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Why are we fighting over if Redman should be a starter? I think anyone can realize Redman as the lone starter isn't totally ideal....

But why can't he share the carries? The game in Denver shows he should get 2 or 3 drives a game where it is just him and Mendy sits.

Mendy would run better if he had better holes to run through. We all love Bettis' hard running style, but the holes Mendy gets are 1/4 the size Bettis usually got.

23. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If he gets any holes, at all. He is frequently met by a defender as soon as he gets the ball. Redman got a taste of this as he played, also. He didn't dance for a one yard loss... He just ran right into the defenders for a one yard loss. The yardage losses are coming either way if the O-Line cannot consistently run block.

24. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I agree completely split carries i think dwyer should get more carries also he seems to have more speed the res

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Mendy is the better athlete.Redman has better instincts and much better vision. there is definitely a role for both guys.They should get equal touches and Mendy seems to run harder after what he sees Redman can do.