1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mendenhall out for 2012 season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Feb 13, 2012.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I heard on ESPN radio this evening that the Steelers have stated that Mendenhall may be out the entire 2012 season due to his torn ACL. Has anyone else heard that? What does that mean for us in the RB department? Does it change our draft strategy this year?

2. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope not.That would truly suck.I like Mendy and really hope he's ready by training camp?

3. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think Mendy's time in Pittsburgh may be over.

4. colsteveaustin

Oct 17, 2011
    Not Good.I know some people think he's not the type of back the Steelers need,But I truly feel he's a good running back.He's got power,speed and hits the hole fairly good.I don't like all the dancing,But overall he's the best back we have.I hope that report is'nt true?

5. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw a report that said he may start the season on the PUP list. Anything is possible with the knee injury happening so late in the season.

6. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    i don't care much for mendy. never have. the old timeline for an acl was a full year and he injured it, what, on the final day of the regular season?

in recent years, however, it seems guys have healed MUCH faster so i don't know why he would need a full year to recover.

still, his contract is up in '12, it as a wasted first-round pick to begin with, he has never fit in with the fabric of this team (from a personality standpoint), he was never going to be worth 'big-time back money' that he would probably seek after his first contract expired next year, we can put that money towards better horses instead of a cart, redman would be just as (more?) effective . . .

i guess all we can look forward to is his uplifting historical book to be released in the near future: "The Bin Laden Nobody Knew: A Hell of a Guy! (the untold story)"

movin' on . . .

7. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

And when you couple the first round pick of Mendy with the second round pick of Limas Sweed...ugh!!!

8. colsteveaustin

Oct 17, 2011
    To each their own,But Redman is'nt better than Mendy(JMO) Hope he can come back?

9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
  10. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    yeah, right?

for a kick to the other nut, chris johnson was the next player taken in the draft. oh, then the four next running backs taken: matt forte, ray rice, kevin smith, and jamaal charles.

11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    This may be a good thing. It will give him time to heal and the steelers time to see what they have in batch,clay, Redman full time.Come week 7 if he's healthy he can come in and fight for the job he's about to lose. No better motivation for a RB than to be in the final year of his contract and have other RBs on the squad doing your job. Maybe he'll then quit dancing and start running.

As far as who's better, Mendy or redman, its like asking whats better, coke or pepsi?

Mendy is about the same size but he is quite a bit faster, Mendy has that homerun threat Redman doesn't.
    Redman is a much better "determined" runner with better vision.

Either way we're better off with a healthy and motivated Mendy. A dancing Mendy is a different story.

Cajun-

12. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    this board seems to be all over the place in the direction it wants to go.

you can't want to go back to art rooney II smash-mouth football and want mendy as your back. mendy is zeroue. mendy is mcafee. redman is your franco, foster, bam morris, bettis . . .

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    You talk as if 'this board' is a person. It's made up of many people with different opinions.

Well said.

14. truckin9999

Oct 16, 2011
    PEPSI!!

15. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    This is correct...thats all the Steelers have said...and even that is not set in stone. Nobody has said anything about missing the season. If its been "reported" somewhere it hasnt come from the Steelers themselves.

Also I dont think it changes the draft "strategy" one bit. They've known since Mendy was hurt a few months ago that he'd be out a while and could miss the start of the season. So how would it change their approach when they've know this?

16. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    I cannot remember an offseason with such a plethora of "the sky is falling info". I am here to tell you that:

1. Mendenhall will be ready to contribute not later than week 6 of the regular season
    2. Baron Batch is gonna be an amazing toy for Ben/Todd Haley to play with this season
    3. Ben and Haley will work together just fine and of they might even yell at each other once in a while in the process, who cares!
    4. Mike Wallace ain't goin' nowhere and the Steelers would use the Franchise tag if they had to
    5. Both lines will be addressed and improved through the draft and/or some under the radar free agency move(s)
    6. Haley will not change the terminology and set this offense back, they will be much better in 2012
    7. The Steelers will be in the hunt for the AFCN and will make the playoffs again in 2012
    8. Most of the league would change rosters, coaches, and problems with the Steelers tomorrow if given the opportunity!

I am so proud to be a fan of the greatest organization in the NFL! Here we Go Steelers!!!!

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pessimist

18. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    well said? coke and pepsi taste nearly identical. so much so that they used to have taste tests to see if people could tell them apart. they are extremely similar with a very slight distinction in flavor. it seems like a poor analogy to me.

mendy and redman are two completely different types of runners. like bettis and zeroue (but not quite as much).

coke or sprite would've been a better analogy. well, maybe that would have been worley and hoge.

um, coke and root beer, maybe.

19. truckin9999

Oct 16, 2011
    Jack Daniels or Tequila?

20. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Better said. :-D

21. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Pepsi and Coke do NOT taste identical...if you think they do you need to get your taste buds checked, hahaha

22. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    there 'ya go :applaud:

23. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    not to me..( I like Diet Coke ) Regular Coke taste thicker as where pepsi taste thinner and has a different sweet taste.. coke feels like a clump of sugar.

Mendy is Pepsi (light tasting on his feet)

Redman is Coke .. he hits you harder .. and there's more Red in the Coke label

24. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pepsi and Coke do NOT taste identical...if you think they do you need to get your taste buds checked, hahaha

They taste enough alike and look enough alike for that to be a terrible analogy.
    Saying things are completely different " like coke and Pepsi"? Your supposed to use opposites
    Black and white, fire and ice. Tho it's a terrible analogy I'm using it from now on.
    Can't wait for the time I get to say " the differences were striking, like coke and Pepsi".

25. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Who said he wanted "completely different"? They aren't black and white, fire and ice. They are both the same position on the same team in the same league. They are even similar in size. They are the same thing! However, when you get down to it, they do the same thing very, very differently. Kinda like Pepsi and Coke.