1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Memo to Kevin Colbert

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 8, 2016.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Defense still wins championships, look what John Elway did in 2013 Denver had the greatest offense ever and got beat down in the Super Bowl. Elway remade the team into a defense minded team with the draft and free agency. I want Colbert to find a starter on defense in free agency, and concentrate on defense in the draft. No wasted draft picks on scatbacks like Dri Archer :facepalm:, or QB, RB, WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    When we had AB in the regular season we lit that Denver defense up. Would've done it again had AB been able to go. I'm all for getting a better defense, but with the talent that we have on offense it's going to be difficult to afford the dominant defense. I'm not willing to sacrifice AB, Bell, Ben or Marty just to put more money on the defensive side of the ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Funny thing... Von Miller was not a factor in either game we played them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have been drafting defense. it hasn't gotten us over the hump yet. it's all landry and dri's fault though. :facepalm::cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We're not far from having enough defense to win it all. If you have a franchise QB and a good offense, you can win it all with a solid, but not necessarily dominant defense. That's our path in the near term. We just need a few pieces.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. I'm not sold on the 'defense wins championships' too much - the parity in the NFL at the moment means that you need enough in the team to keep up with all comers, and then a bit of something special to win most of the time. Denver had that with their LBs and DBs; NE have it with Brady; Carolina had it with Kuechly and Newton, both of whom looked utterly overwhelmed on the day of the Superbowl and played very poorly. On another day, the Broncos lose horribly to the Panthers. But not this time.

Our team seems to be built around the 'something special', but needs a higher baseline of play to keep us consistent. Simply upgrading Cam Thomas to someone half decent would do that. Upgrading Safety to someone who isn't constantly out of position, or too slow to recover, would do that. We still need the playmakers, of course, but I don't think we're too far off a good enough defense.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Too afraid that Gilbert would accidentally roll up on him? :shrug:

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think ever one is going to lose their minds when they draft a LT or a pass catching TE in the 1st round.

Steelers never reach for position of need they always draft who they think is the best player, in an area of needs.

You would think CB or Safety, but they might just surprise you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope you are wrong but past experience shows that we'll have lots of these expressions for our draft:

jawdrop.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Kuechly was the best player on the Carolina team during the SB. He was also extremely professional handling the loss when speaking to the media. Something Cam should take note of. I would love to see him play for the Steelers some day.

Back to the original topic though. I believe Defense does win Championships and we would have been torched by the Carolina offense due to little pass rush and awful secondary play. The only hope would have been a shootout. That is if the Steelers could have even beaten the Pats in NE which would have been about a 20% chance. Face it, Denvers Defense stepped up when it counted most. Something the Steelers defense hasn't done consistently in quite a long time.

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    We would have smoked that Carolina defense, no doubt about it. But you are correct in that our defense would have struggled stopping their offense. We don't generate that immediate pressure from multiple positions like Denver can/did, and Cam's rifle arm would have obliterated our easy cushions we give to the other teams receivers. I think it would've been a really fun battle to watch Ben and Cam going toe-to-toe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup. Three straight 1st's have been defense. That's a huge investment to make on one side of the ball. I think 2/3 of those guys will be special, while the 3rd (Jones) will be a solid value player for us. If Dupree takes his offseason training seriously, holy crap watch out NFL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    thigpen said) Kuechly and Newton, both of whom looked utterly overwhelmed on the day of the Superbowl and played very poorly.

Kuechly was the bright spot on defense, he led the defense in total tackles with 10 and 1 sack, newton sucked but kuechly had a good game over all, just like he usually does.....

14. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It might even be a guard.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Fair dos, I hadn't seen the stats. I probably focused on one or two plays where I saw him doing less well. But as a player, I think Kuechly is one of the best, so probably noticed more when he didn't make a tackle than when he did (if you see what I mean).

Would also love to see him as a Steeler... we can but dream.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It's still 2 wasted picks that could've been used for depth on defense.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Strangely though we find depth on the street and scrap heap so maybe instead of using draft picks on it they should be using them for guys that might actually pan out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well Colbert needs to go out and acquire those few pieces soon, Ben isn't getting any younger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I hear what your saying and what your getting at and I agree both the Archer and Landry picks sucked, but please show me one team that has an 100% draft rate. I think we all get a little to caught up on these misses and really it is normal. We are a spoiled group cause we are use to hitting it out of the park in the draft. Let's not forget the AB's and Beachum's in the 6th and 7th. Now don't get me wrong I am one that will point out our draft misses as well, like when we have a need at cb and don't address it until the 5th year after year.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i just don't see jones as a wasted pick. we have a backup qb. he did win us a game and kept us in another. at least he's seen the field and so did dri. archer was still better at kickoffs than anyone we had last year yardage wise. when we got him we were thin at options behind bell at the time too. they don't all workout as planned.:cool:

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I have to admit, Mac, that the only reason my head didn't explode when they selected Archer was because you had talked him up extensively, so I was like, ok, maybe this will work but in hindsight, they had no business spending a 3rd rd pick on him.

Whether thats because his talent didn't translate to the NFL or because the Steelers didn't use him properly, I don't know.

22. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd say both were reasons.

23. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would love to see him play for the Steelers yesterday. LOL!

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

the potential was there and his speed and college tape made him a very attractive pick at the time. we needed some wr depth, rb depth and a punt returner at the time. he had a gift in college of big plays and if he worked out it would have been one heck of a steal. i think that was the thinking at the time. we saw a couple of flashes of that but it just didn't work out in the bigger scheme of things. it still didn't make it a bad pick at the time only in hindsight. :cool:

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes defenses still win championships, and in our case a running
    game also will be needed.