1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

melvin ingram wants out

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by nor, Oct 28, 2021.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Right, so it's like someone else alleged. He isn't on record as actually having told a reporter he wants traded, but more likely his agent probably let it "slip". He then has a come to Jesus meeting with HCMT and everything is happy, happy joy joy. For now.

If he isn't moved, I hope he remains professional and takes advantage of the opportunities he gets. The team doesn't need some vet b!tching and moaning about playing time, no matter what his reasons are.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah we don't need another vet like James Harrison sleeping in meetings, and complaining about playing time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I’m sure Ingram ain’t happy. BUt now he’s “injured” or benched, whichever you prefer. Messsge sent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I find it easier to believe what you just pointed out, that the agent is probably unhappy with Ingram getting a low ball offer, so is spreading rumors to draw attention (and maybe a bigger contract) for his client.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Agents work for the player. Ingram is not being used by his agent, his agent is acting on his wishes. Otherwise, he’d be fired.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Lazy or incompetent in one instance does not mean lazy and incompetent all the time. Well, at least it is that way in the minds of reasonable people who don't have a mad-on for the media. That you are working so hard to blow a mistake like that out of proportion is just more evidence that I'm right about you. Maybe it is just an issue with her, but it seems to go beyond that.

You are more than welcome to think you dunked on anybody in this conversation. You are kidding yourself, but by all means, do what makes you happy.

You keep contradicting yourself with social media. Either the pressure to be first was always there or not. I know this better than you do. I'm sorry that bothers you so much, but it is comical for you to assert that I'm the one who doesn't understand the discussion.

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I wasn’t going to get in the middle of you guys debate, but I think you’re taking what @Blast Furnace said all wrong.
    The way I read it was. Blast was just saying that because of a past incident with the reporter he’s a little reluctant to just totally believe this current story and wants to wait till the story unfolds a little more before he makes judgements on Ingram.
    To me that seams pretty reasonable.

I don’t even know if I believe it or not. These kind of rumors seem to be right only about half the time. Nothing wrong with reserving judgment till all the facts come out?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    This hypothetical agent gets fired only if the player is aware of the actions (which might not happen with anonymous sources spreading the rumors), and if the situation turns out badly.
    Neither of which is the case so far.

I'm not saying you should believe it, or how likely it is, but I wanted to mention the possibility.
    This is treading too deeply into conspiracy theory for sure, but agents are not always the selfless servants of their employers. Sometimes you get embezzlers, incompetents, manipulators, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    These agents are typically lawyers correct? Probably not a good idea for a lawyer to be starting rumors.

10. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    If we've learned anything over the past year, it is that lawyers can spread rumors however they like in public, and require being in court to be encouraged to stick to the truth. (But I agree that in a better world, it would not be a good idea.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Unless the client wants the rumor started. Ingram wants out, tells his agent so. Agent drops story to press, calls other teams GMs and says “Mel, would love to play for you”. Said GM calls Colbert and asks “What do you want for Him?”. Press goes to Mel and asks if he requested a trade, Mel can honestly say “Nope”.

the idea that players are naive pawns at the mercy of their agents is ridiculous.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ingram started the game against the Bengals, and he didn't exactly standout.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What I have been saying, among other things, is that by his logic, no reporter should ever be trusted because they have all gotten something wrong at some point. He went beyond saying he was reluctant to belive the current story. He dismissed her as incompetent and/or lazy. Given that he is applying that to the current story, he isn't just talking about that one moment. He's characterizing a reporter that way based on one past mistake and trying to blow that particular error out of proportion.

If you don't think people on this site are very critical of the media, often unreasonably so, I don't think you have been paying attention.

I have no problem with questioning a particular report like the one on Ingram. I do it, too. That is just good critical thinking. I'm still going to mock some of the attacks on reporters that I see on this site.

14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    and yet just a week or two ago he was “In Heaven and a dream come true” just to be here! What a difference a game or two makes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Yeah, That’s my point. Guess it doesn’t matter now cuz the seed has been planted. We’ll see I guess.

• Like Like x 1