1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

melvin ingram wants out

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by nor, Oct 28, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. :roflmao:
    That was way well timed. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You always accuse people of what you do Scribe. You have been putting words in my mouth and accusing me of things from the get go because I had the audacity to say I will take a wait and see approach since Aditi has been known to be wrong in the past. GASP! The horrors and irrationality. get over yourself.

You don’t understand modern journalism and the affects social media has on it better than I do because if you did you would understand what Aditi did. She didn’t bother to verify because she wanted to be the first to report on it because in the era of social media, things move that fast. She should have taken the time to find replays and make sure before pitting something out there that loaded.

So to review, Aditi is either a liar, incompetent or lacks the integrity to make sure a story is accurate. Gee, I wonder why I am hesitant to believe anything controversial she puts out :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Bingo

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I knew you'd go there basically because I have no feelings about this one way or the other. You have said in two responses now that something was told to her and she went with it. That it was wrong information that she reported means either she was lazy and didn't confirm it with at least one credible source or she is bad at the job in which I'm pretty sure that's day one stuff in journalism 101 confirm your sources. As someone who worked in that field you seem to be ok with mediocre reporting so I'll defer to your judgement on that.

I will state for the record I think both Brooke Pryor and Aditi have a very unenviable job of trying to make a career in sports journalism in an area dominated by grumpy old men. They had to take over from fixtures on the ESPN and NFL coverage for more than 2 decades. Guys like Werder, Hoge, Jaws, Clayton, Palantonio, Chris Mortensen. That is some tough guys to take over for so more power to them for charting that territory and as I said the beat guys in Pittsburgh aren't all huggable teddy bears. So yeah mistakes are made.

Anyway I don't have a dog in this race so just adding to the discussion.

Edit: I'd still like to know who she sees on the Cards that the Steelers would be interested in.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I believe your statement against her was far stronger than you make it out to be now. In the very post to which I am responding, you went from taking a wait and see approach to dismissing her as either a liar, incompetent or someone who lacks integrity. I don't know how you can think that statement is fair and measured.

By your logic, every report out there by every member of the media can be dismissed because they have all made errors at some point in their careers. Making one mistake does not make a reporter a liar, incompetent, or lacking in integrity. That you want to make that blanket statement absolutely proves me right in this discussion.

That you don't seem think the pressure to be first existed before social media is just more evidence that you don't know this topic nearly as well as I do. Of course, social media has intensified that pressure. That had begun before I left the business. It doesn't justify her mistake, but it also doesn't mean that every other report she makes should be dismissed.

At what point did I defend her not verifying that report? I didn't. I acknowledged it was an error.

You also don't seem to be able to acknowledge that there is a difference between an error in reporting and making things up. I can absolutely believe a reporter rushed a story and that led to a mistake. Hell, sometimes they happen without being rushed. That a reporter simply made something up is a much tougher sell. It happens, but it is far rarer than you seem to think.

You are hesitant to believe what you don't want to believe and you are using that one mistake, which she acknowledged, as an excuse. Thank you for providing me with so much evidence on my side of the argument.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  7. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Rumors or not....would anyone consider DeSean Jackson for Ingram. They could release Ray Ray and let DeSean be used in kickoff and Punt Returns also?? Personally I would hope they would keep Ingram to spell Watt or Highsmith in high volume games and as extra insurance incase one or the other went down, I'm just not a fan of him being used in pass coverage.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Brings me back to James Harrison, what was promised?
    Really I have to believe the Steelers would have never promised Ingram
    more playing time when they have a budding superstar in Highsmith on a rookie contract.
    Just doesn't make sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The Steelers should be finding ways to get guys like him on the field, guys like Spillane off, but here we are. Supposedly a good locker room guy, hopefully this is just
    I'd rather re-coup a draft pick. Try to get one for Ebron, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No player in the NFL is promised playing time. When brought in, there may be a conversation on hypotheticals, but the best players will be on the field. You have to earn playing time. Ingram wasn’t promised. Harrison wasn’t promised.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    A budding superstar? Yeah OK
    This guy has been underwhelming at best

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  12. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    If the ESPN stats/analysis guy is correct, Highsmith is better than most EDGE players for passing and rushing "win rate".
    (However that is calculated. But it does mean that "underwhelming" is debatable.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Most of his positive stats came in the Seattle game. Now is that because of the opposing player he was going against or was it because he’s finally getting healthy and a look at things to come. I’m hoping it’s the latter. But in my opinion he certainly hasn’t done anything to consider him a budding superstar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Jackson is 35, and has been injured often in recent years.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If they can't get a desperate team to give up a 4th for Ingram, then I wouldn't trade him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think he retired too

Edit: nope I was wrong with the Rams. I could swear I saw a former Eagle WR retired

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    My very first post in this thread said “I think I will wait until this report has any teeth to it”

The post you responded to originally was my explaining to AFan why people have an issue with her. If you believe those to be far strong statements then they are, then you are the worlds biggest drama queen.

That you think that was a simple mistake that all reporters make speaks volumes to how little you understand whats being discussed here. She made a very damming report that would have been very simple to verify. She didn’t mix up a sequence of plays, holy ****, Scribe.

Again you are doing what you accuse me of, where did I say pressure didn’t exist before social media? But it’s not even close to what it is now, social media was a game changer, I think it has probably changed a great deal since even you left the business.

At what point did I say you did?

Maybe it was a mistake or maybe it wasn’t, your failure to acknowledge how difficult it is to actually see AB sitting on the sideline sulking, meaning mistaking his number, mistaking his face, sitting there sulking while his teammates celebrate shows just how biased you are in the other direction. Everything is unicorns and rainbows in your world I suppose. But lets give her the benefit of the doubt for arguments sake and it was a mistake, that’s a BAD freaking mistake, one that any reasonable person would understand exercising caution when taking in her reporting.

I don’t even know what this means other then you trying to prop yourself up after getting dunked on this whole argument. Hesitant about what? What am I hesitant to believe? That a reporter made a ridiculous claim mistake or otherwise and I am therefore exercising caution when considering anything controversial she reports? Gee, Scribe, you really got me there :rolleyes:

Are you being obtuse on purpose? First of all, accusing me or Thorn of having hatred for the media shows how clueless you are about the people you are engaging with secondly, in regards to that erroneous report in question, SHE WAS lazy or incompetent or flat out lied. You have trouble with facts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I’m so disappointed in this this. We should not be losing Ingram as he fits right in and became a part of the culture in Pitt. Do reporters plant seeds that grow into problems that weren’t there n the first place. TMZ sports?

Another player that wants out of Pittsburgh? There was a time this was non existent.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I could be wrong, but I bet you get a reply to this

The reply will be twisted

And he will declare victory

I saw this movie before

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have never ever Understood why someone no matter what... can't say they are wrong, or could maybe wrong. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Actually, I think players or their agents plant seeds to the media expressing their discontent, knowing that it will get out, without the player having to directly face the camera looking bad or whiny.

Is it really that hard to believe that Ingram is unhappy? He took a low ball offer in a low cap year. His playing time is dropping, so his chance of leveraging his 2021 season into a bigger 2022 contract gets smaller every day. He’d obviously be happy to go elsewhere where he can play. He’s 31 and a vet, not a 23yr old noobie, he knows how the game works with the media, and knows how to play it.

23. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Yes, but has he really said he wants out, or is that all conjecture based on the Chiefs making an inquiry? If it's the former, I hope he doesn't become a distraction. If it's the latter, then someone is taking creative license with a story about a possible trade.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2021-10-30_15-13-31.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Of course not. That’s the whole point. He wants out, but if it doesn’t happen he can pretend he always loved it here. Make the best of it, cash his post trade deadline paychecks. But he wants out. Tomlin was asked about it, said he talked to Ingram, but said he keep their conversation private. Fair enough. But I doubt the conversation was “How are the wife and kids?”.