1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mel Kiper's first three rounds

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steellamb86, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Here is the first three rounds by Mel Kiper...thoughts?

Mel Kiper, ESPN NFL Analyst...

In this one, I'm the general manager ... for every team. This isn't me projecting picks, this is me making them, for three full rounds, based on what's best for each team at that slot. Thus the "A" grade. (I know, I know.)

Please read the ground rules:

1. At each slot, I make a pick in the best interest of only the team with the pick. I won't pass on a player at No. 4 just because I like the team better at No. 5.
    2. No trades unless they're already done. I note team needs, and I try to address them, but like the draft, value can supersede need.
    3. Again: I'm not projecting. It's more a look at where I see value up and down the board.
    As with previous years', there's a team-by-team look below, as well as a pick-by-pick version so you can see how the order of the picks progressed and get an idea of who was off the board when each team selected.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Top needs: CB, S, OLB, TE
    Round 1 (22) CB Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest
    Round 2 (56) OLB Hau'oli Kikaha
    Round 3 (87) S Derron Smith, Fresno St.
    Analysis: Given the veteran losses we've seen on the defensive side of the ball this offseason, that's where my focus is. Johnson can cover and could be in line for a ton of snaps as a rookie. James Harrison will be 37 in May, and we need to add pass-rushing depth. Kikaha was wildly productive in 2014, though he's still on the board at No. 56 because he didn't test well. He's not going to come in and play every down, but we're simply not in good shape at outside linebacker in my assessment, and the best option available in either Round 1 or 2 was a certainty coming in. Smith's reputation outpaces his tape, but if you told me last year he'd be available at No. 87 in 2015, it would have surprised me. I know this team is going to be able to put points on the board in 2015, so the early rounds are all about making the defense better in any way I can.

Kevin Johnson seems to be the pick from a lot of people. We certainly need CB and he would be a good one.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Round 1 is solid and I don't have a problem with Kikaha if the knees clear medically. Smith is more SS than FS but we need an infuse of talent at the safety position. I really loathe Mitchell. I will hold out hope for him because he's a Steeler but I did not like the signing and I hope he does better this next year.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't be too thrilled with that draft. They can do better in the first 3 rounds.

4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'd have to see what else was on the board when we took KJ, but I could be okay with him if was the best person left. I'd love to see the whole picture...for instance....was Orchard already gone when he took the OLB in round #2?

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ehhh... I'm not thrilled with that. I like the draft that we have going for the Steelers in our message board mock better. Much better actually. I was liking KJ until I started digging deeper into tape of many of the CBs in this draft. I like him, but not at 22. I think Kikaha would be ok in the 2nd if Orchard is gone, but I think he's already close to his ceiling. Smith I need to watch more of. He may be ok in the 3rd, but I'd bet there are other guys on the board in Kipers draft at that slot that I'd like better.

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I at least like the positions drafted by Mel. 3 big areas of need. I have an opposite opinion of our message board draft tho. So far I think that has been a disaster for the Steelers, and don't really care for any of our picks. I like Mel's draft much better.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it's not too bad. 3 good players at positions of need. I usually don't agree much with mel.:cool:

8. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I like it. I'd be thrilled with Johnson/Kikaha. I might be the only one, but I like Kikaha more and more every time I see him.

I don't know enough about Smith to say if I'd like that pick, but as far as the position goes, a free safety in the third sounds good to me. Someone to compete with Golden and push Mitchell, and be the guy in 2016 if Mitchell doesn't get it together this year.

Pretty rare for me to like a mock draft from the media. Of course, this means we won't get any of those guys.

9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd love the first two picks. Don't know much about Smith, but could live with the position.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    the safety position in this draft is weak .. ib cambell and j. tartt seems the best fit but derrron smith is not bad

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree, smith has good numbers as a safety. he's one of the overlooked guys at the top.:cool:

13. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm still nowhere near as big of a fan of KJ as most of you seem to be. At best I think he is a 2nd round talent. Watching his tape and seeing how terrible of a tackler he is, worries me a ton. He is still pretty light even after "bulking up" for the combine. (175 listed weight at WF. 188 at combine)
    Plus he is already a year older than most of the guys in the class at (22 now, 23 in August).

14. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I don't dislike the KJ pick but I don't love him. Sure, the guy looks like a spider on the field. He has amazing short area quickness. He just looks so small. I can just see him getting thrown around by NFL receivers . If he's the pick I won't be mad but worried.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree. that's why I'm liking rowe more and more. strong big and fast and can tackle well.:cool:

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And versatile :thumbs_up:

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and smart. I can't find too many faults about this kid.:cool:

18. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Lately I've considering him more and more myself. I'm not even sure anymore who would be considered a reach at any point in this draft. Would he be considered a big reach at 22? If they could back and still get him I would be a happy boy.

19. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Jeremiah released his latest mock with two rounds.

[h=3]22. Pittsburgh: Byron Jones, CB, UConn[/h]Comment: The Steelers need to upgrade their secondary, and Jones is much more than a workout wonder.

[h=3]56. Pittsburgh: P.J. Williams, CB, Florida State[/h]Comment: The Steelers double down and take another press cornerback.

Interesting that he has us taking two corners that he considers to be press corners. Don't get me wrong, Im fine with the double dipping . Just not sure this is the best pair for us.
    It's difficult we really don't know what the heck Butler is gonna do.

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Both can play zone as well . IMO we should always draft press cover guys . You can coach and teach most DB'S to play zone .You can't Coach and Teach Zone guys to play man.

One thing I think most fans don't know is in almost every zone coverage someone has man to man responsibilities.

Example of zone actually being man is in cover 2 . The Safety has a deep half and the CB usually has the shallow half with help from the LB. Now if a Team lines up 2 WR'S to that side and they both go deep in almost every case the CB will turn and run and play man.

This is why it is so hard to play zone and defense in general . A DB must know when to turn a guy loose into the next zone and when he can't . Football 101 for Defense is never let 2 guys go into a zone covered by 1 man. All DB'S and LB'S must know this and the ability to play man makes them better Football players.

21. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Good point. Good post.

22. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Good points. I agree. I've often pointed out that we play man all the time, here and there. Ike Taylor in particular spent a lot of time in man coverage. We need guys who can do that, and I'm in favor of drafting guys that can. Add to that, with LeBeau out we might see more man coverage than we've seen in the past. Or not.

That said, I'd prefer we draft guys that have experience in zone as well. It might be easier to teach than man coverage, but that doesn't make it easy. It's not difficult to imagine drafting a guy who has played excellent man coverage but little zone coverage in college struggle on our team.

23. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. This would surprise me for 4 reasons: the type of CBs drafted, Byron's potential lack of value at #22, Williams and his problems, and double dipping with the first two picks. I can see two secondary picks in the first 4 or even 3 rounds, but the first two would surprise me.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Exactly. I think you need very good instincts to play zone and general understanding of what an offense is trying to do.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is very true as well . And it is not easy I agree , but it is teachable . Film room and the practice field with good coaches and players eager to learn and it can be achieved.

On the flip side you can do all this and still fail playing man. He can know every route he can no every read if he lacks the skill set to match up it's more than likely going to fail.

Like Bruce did that big boy in Enter The Dragon movie. I read your book , i mastered all your moves , and Bruce simply smacked him down . Why ???? Because he was just that much more talented .