1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mclendon at nosetackle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 4, 2012.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He will be the starter I read in the Pittsburgh newspaper that he was up to 320 lbs. Now maybe the Steelers won't need to reach in the 1st round for a nosetackle. They can draft one in the later rounds, Hampton will probably start the season on the pup list. I would like to see the team fix the o-line in the early rounds they like to take the best player available. I don't want the team to use a high draft pick on a running back either we already have Redman,Clay,Dwyer,Batch and maybe Mendenhall later in the season.

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Holy moly, 320! I thought he was like 295 before?? Maybe I was wrong. So far in grading him, he's really not bad, but does need to get stronger. He gets driven back sometimes in ways Hampton and Hoke never did.

I still want Josh Chapman. But there's no excuse to take a NT in round 1, even Poe.

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I dont think the Steelers would have any intentions of reaching for a NT in the 1st...there are none worthy of that pick. In rounds 2-4 there are a number of players who fit the bill.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i read somewhere that mclendon is 300 now. he came here at 285. there are some good nt's even as low as the 7th. jean-baptiste and kitchen. there are also some small school guys moving up into draft contention. kade weston may get his chnce early too or al woods. :cool:

5. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I really like Jean-Baptiste but I think a lot of the guys that people are saying are a "reach" will go earlier than you think.

If Poe is there at 24 he's the pick.

6. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    No Doubt About It!!

I certainly don't expect to see Poe at 24, but if he's there he's our man for sure imo. Otherwise, no, you don't reach for a NT

7. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    What makes you guys so sure the Steelers are interested in him? The "rumors" are that a lot of teams aren't that high on him. He blew everyone away at the combine, but didn't perform like a first round pick on the field. Not by a mile. I don't claim to know what the FO is thinking, but that doesn't sound like the type of player the Steelers will pick for sure.

8. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm not SURE of anything. I just think if Poe was there at 24 he'd be the BPA and fill a big need.

9. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I think a possible big reason for not drafting a NT type in the 1st round, beside McClendon hopefully being fully ready and capable to be a solid starter, is the NT doesn't have the same effect in the 3_4 defense it used to have. It has become such a passing dominated league with short passes playing such an important role that a big fat NT can be a pretty big detriment. Casey Hampton was a great NT and over the past few years I think at best an okay NT - but generally he provides no value when the Steelers take on an offense like New England. I guess we can fear that teams will run more successfully, but it appears that in a more passing centric league a great NT doesn't provide the same benefit it used to.

10. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I have no problem with McLendon at NT to start, especially if we draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th round. I think Hampton starts the year on the PUP and then finally gets put on the IR. I think the contract agreement was just to keep him getting paid. I'll take a cut, if for all I've done for you...you let me stay around and collect my check.

You pat my back, I'll pat yours type of thing. He is an insurance policy from not being able to get a NT in the draft we like.

I still think the Steelers have a starter at EVERY position, not necessarily guys I like, but they have guys and guys they have won with. Upgrading some of those with guys who can play....will be huge.

11. hangaber

hangaber Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Steel_in_DC is correct. The NT goes out on passing downs and against New England, well, every down is a passing down. And to a large degree, other teams too like New Orleans, Green Bay, maybe NY Giants, etc. So we'd be using our 1st round pick on a guy who doesn't see the field.

12. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I really hope they go O-line or ILB. Lots of good points about NT in this thread. I think they can find one later.

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

I've got to disagree. To me a stud NT is crucial when you're playing a 3-4 for this reason. If you've got a guy in the middle like a Casey Hampton that often requires double (and even triple) teaming that makes for less congestion to the outside and plays right into our hands. And if you've got a couple of above-average DEs that also may tie up a couple of blockers our OLBs can have a field day with mismatches and at times unabated access to the QB. If you've got a guy in the middle that the C can easily push around, the entire scheme/concept breaks down and your outside guys aren't nearly as effective. My two cents worth for what it's worth. :)

14. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If McClendon improves at nose, Hampton is back, and Ziggy is a possibility then nose becomes a no need. The NT plays little anyway. People need to quit only looking at the base defense. Nickel is the most important D in the nfl today.

15. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

I've got to disagree. To me a stud NT is crucial when you're playing a 3-4 for this reason. If you've got a guy in the middle like a Casey Hampton that often requires double (and even triple) teaming that makes for less congestion to the outside and plays right into our hands. And if you've got a couple of above-average DEs that also may tie up a couple of blockers our OLBs can have a field day with mismatches and at times unabated access to the QB. If you've got a guy in the middle that the C can easily push around, the entire scheme/concept breaks down and your outside guys aren't nearly as effective. My two cents worth for what it's worth. :)[/quote:3rq7wsh9]
    I'm with you. But for a lot of people, someone who "only" plays two out of three downs and is perhaps the most critical player on "only" 45% of plays is a throwaway position. Gee, where were these people when it was a running league? Did they think DBs were a waste of time? Or don't they remember DB being our achilles heel all those years?

That said, I still wouldn't spend a 1st on a NT this year, because it's not our greatest position of need and there sure as heck isn't anyone for us to take. And with Hamp/McLendon, we should be fine for the year with a 2nd/3rd rounder

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I would love to hear a number to support this.

17. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Just my opinion (the reason i wrote imo). He's the guy i'm drafting if he's there at 24. That's all

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the only number i've seen was on a site awhile back saying casey played 450 snaps last season. thats almost 35 snaps a game in 13 games he was healthy. :cool:

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    the only number i've seen was on a site awhile back saying casey played 450 snaps last season. thats almost 35 snaps a game in 13 games he was healthy. :cool:[/quote:q2l30z57]
    That's a number, but I wouldn't say it supports the claim that NTs play little. And I'll bet a donut he played more reps when he was young.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That's a number, but I wouldn't say it supports the claim that NTs play little. And I'll bet a donut he played more reps when he was young.[/quote:c9s0yddf]
    i'm sure he did play more when he was younger. they also ran the ball more and alot more teams had FB's too then. the game has gone through some changes as of late. he hurt us in two games last year. his skills are not what they once were, but thats to be expected. you and i touched on these games before. balt.#1 and houston. the blocking scheme and the rb's ability to cut back while the o-line chopped casey down created a pileup on the line of scrimmage and slowed our other pursuit. other then that casey had a decent year. we never before carried 3 NT's except for last year either, and i could see that happening again if we draft one. i really don't see one early though. the kid from portland state put on a show for the scouts and i'm pretty sure that was one of our guys there. we also showed alot of interest in kitchen from kent state. so did the pats, browns and a couple of others. theres guys out there besides the first round. i just don't see us adding another 1st rounder on the d-line this year. :cool:

21. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I'm with you. But for a lot of people, someone who "only" plays two out of three downs and is perhaps the most critical player on "only" 45% of plays is a throwaway position. Gee, where were these people when it was a running league? Did they think DBs were a waste of time? Or don't they remember DB being our achilles heel all those years?

That said, I still wouldn't spend a 1st on a NT this year, because it's not our greatest position of need and there sure as heck isn't anyone for us to take. And with Hamp/McLendon, we should be fine for the year with a 2nd/3rd rounder[/quote:1uikrswj]

As far as the stud NT, I agree that it used to be really critical in a 3_4, but with the type of passing that is done now and with the ultimate advantage that you can only jam receivers within 5 yards, good QBs with solid receivers can nickel and dime a defense all day. It doesn't matter if the NT is eating up two blockers if the QB is getting the ball out of his hands in 2.5 seconds which is what guys like Brady and Rodgers often do. That is why when we play NE, I've always felt the key is to bring rush up the middle so you can break down the integrity of the pocket and make a guy like Brady move laterally which isn't his strong point. To do that you need immediate push up the middle either through LB doing stunts or good DL with the althleticism to get by the OL - that's why the Giants gave the Packers and Patriots fits.

22. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

That said, I still wouldn't spend a 1st on a NT this year, because it's not our greatest position of need and there sure as heck isn't anyone for us to take. And with Hamp/McLendon, we should be fine for the year with a 2nd/3rd rounder[/quote:2xj2vkgp]

As far as the stud NT, I agree that it used to be really critical in a 3_4, but with the type of passing that is done now and with the ultimate advantage that you can only jam receivers within 5 yards, good QBs with solid receivers can nickel and dime a defense all day. It doesn't matter if the NT is eating up two blockers if the QB is getting the ball out of his hands in 2.5 seconds which is what guys like Brady and Rodgers often do. That is why when we play NE, I've always felt the key is to bring rush up the middle so you can break down the integrity of the pocket and make a guy like Brady move laterally which isn't his strong point. To do that you need immediate push up the middle either through LB doing stunts or good DL with the althleticism to get by the OL - that's why the Giants gave the Packers and Patriots fits.[/quote:2xj2vkgp]
    What good does beating the Patriots do if you have no run defense for the other 12 teams you play that run the ball? I think some Steeler fans are spoiled by our run D. Teams like New England throw on us non-stop in large part because they know they can't run on us and it's a waste of time to try. Yes, passing is their strength, but if you watch them play against other teams you'll see they like a balanced attack -- why wouldn't they? It makes their passing game even better and shortens games, keeps their defense off the field, etc. I doubt any QB like Brady or Rodgers ever says to himself, "Yes! We're playing the Steelers, and so we're going to pass it 60 times because our running game will go nowhere!" If we all of a sudden didn't have a consistently outstanding and dominant run defense, our pass defense would get a whole lot uglier.

Again, I'm not saying that I want to spent a 1st on a NT this year, and maybe not any year. But people are getting carried away. They think someone being on the field 2 out of 3 defensive plays is a small number! 2 out of 3!!! I think lowering the expectations for our run D by saying it's not that important is recipe for disaster.

23. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Hey snack, just watched video in your sig (Check this out when you have the time: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-pre ... he-shadows)

That was a great segment. I'm really going to miss the guy. Big heart and passion for the game.

24. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Um, a great NT in a great 34 D, (i.e the Steelers), helps the pass D too.

There is no part of the game that isn't dependent on the other.

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Outstanding! Thanks for posting this. Man, we're going to miss this guy.