1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

McGregor Vs. Mayweather

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by steelcurtainmrp, Aug 23, 2017.

1. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Anyone interested in this Saturdays fight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr? I will definitely be ordering this PPV Fight. It is a huge fight for boxing because if McGregor wins it proves that UFC is more popular and dominant than Boxing right now.

I usually always root for the American born fighter, but in this case I am really pulling for McGregor, I cannot stand Mayweather, he's a punk, and I have always enjoyed watching McGregor.

All TV personalities are giving McGregor no shot, except for Skip Bayless, and I am siding with Bayless. He is too old for the much younger McGregor and Floyd even said he's not the fighter he was even a year ago. He made some other comments that sounded like they could be taken as excuses.

Don't get me wrong, I would not be surprised if Floyd comes out on top, he has his whole career, but don't count out McGregor, I think he's more prepared than you think.

While on the UFC topic, sad to hear about Jon Bones Jones. Amazing talent that is being thrown away for dumb decisions. Cormier should be given his title back. I was rooting for Cormier last fight, and it seemed like he was controlling Jones the whole fight, but Jones came out of nowhere and knocked him out. Cormier deserves to reclaim his title.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I disagree that a Mcgregor victory proves mma is bigger than boxing. That fact has been fairly well established for several years now. I would love to see Mayweather knocked the eff out, but doubt it will happen. My bet is mayweather will fight defensively for the whole thing and just take his shots. He's a very good defensive fighter and ridiculously accurate with that right. It will look a lot like the mayweather vs pacquio(sp?) fight. Mayweather by decision.

3. steelcurtainmrp

Nov 15, 2016
    Im afraid thats what will happen. That Pacquio fight was so boring. But if McGregor gets a clean, strong hit on Mayweathers head, it could be over. Hopefully Mayweather isn't too quick for him, or you're right, it will be a really boring split decision fight.

What if McGregor realizes he won't win and goes all MMA on his a**. I'd love that :roflmao:

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    This was my thought for awhile now. Mayweather will be dominating and McGregor will "accidentally" throw a kick or use an elbow and get DQ'd. His excuse will be--" Heat of the moment" or something like that. And I'm a McGregor fan (and Diaz fan, I like the sh!t talkers) but he will be overmatched imo if its strictly boxing.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Mayweather will win the fight.

MacGregor will claim moral victory as Mayweather probably won't knock him out. Therefore MacGregor can say he went toe to toe with the best boxer of this generation.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Mayweather destroys him. As MacGregor would destroy Mayweather if fighting MMA style.

Only chance MacGregor has is that Mayweather hasnt boxed in 2 years.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    10 rounds, that was surprising. I didn't see the fight but by most accounts it was fairly entertaining.

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

It was better than expected. However, the only reason it was remotely close was Mayweather's game plan. He basically let Mcgregor punch himself out for the first 3 rounds. After that it was all Mayweather. By the time it was stopped Mcgregor was gassed and no longer defending himself. Mayweather was pretty much landing rights at will.

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Bingo.:lolol:

Great fight. Wasnt expecting Mayweather to be aggressive as he was.

Fight played out exactly as I thought.

MacGregor aggressive early while Money played a defensive game. Coming out of UFC, I knew MacGregor didNT have experience going long and that he would be gassed from the 8th round on.

MacGregor could barely stand in the 9th and 10th and had been dropping his hands since the 7th.

Mayweather sensed it and got aggressive.

I know why the fight was stopped but I think they should have let it go. Even though it would have meant MacGregor on the mat.

Money Mayweather 50-0. I wasn't always his biggest fan, but gotta give props. Up there with the greats of all time.

10. steelcurtainmrp

Nov 15, 2016
    Great fight, 10x better than Pacquiao.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    How did you wind up watching it? I actually saw a story yesterday saying that they "knew" who watched it illegally and might actually go after people for it. I honestly highly doubt that's even true but that's what they're saying. Even with the estimates of people who watched it illegally they still said it made over a billion dollars!