1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

McFarland made it back on the team in the Reserve/Futures Contracts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/pittsburgh-steelers-anthony-mcfarland-others-futures-contracts

Funny I didn't see his name in the first of 10 players added and I thought he had lost his ride here.

He only played in the Colt's game and looked good running the ball and receiving the ball, but got Kenny absolutely killed on one pass play and was never seen again.

I still don't understand why they didn't offer a QB one of these Reserve/Future Contracts. You would think there would have been a QB on someone's practice squad last year that would be interested in coming to Pittsburgh. Assuming both Mitch and Mason are out the door, we still need to sign 3 more QBs before camp starts.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Doesn't mean they won't later.

• Like Like x 1
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Snell will be gone.. McFarland time is running out on...

I find Master Teague Interesting he might be a project behind Najee and Warren.

McFarland just can't seem to increase his role.

Its never good when an undrafted Rookie comes in and wrestles away the #2 job and never looks back, after its McFarland's 3rd year in the system

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The real question is whether or not he was given a physical

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Like it or not special teams is an integral part of the game and snell is a solid contributor there. In addition to being a decent backup running back. My bet is he will return for a few more years

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If Master Teague can stay healthy he will make the team. He is a battering ram in short yardage situations.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Can he play special teams? I like Snell's chances.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Get some new tools in the bag.

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mcfarland is a open field runner who hasn't yet adjusted to the speed of the NFL .. He has got better , but is still not ready yet.. His main problem is his blitz pick up work.. As more of a scat RB his plays will be the delayed hand offs the quick toss from the side car.. Flare and Swing passes , but to keep the Defense honest he has to pick up the blitz so they can fake those from time to time and go down field..

My advice to him would be to work on that aspect of his game everyday all year long..

• Like Like x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I have no problem with him on a reserve contract, it costs nothing. That said, after 4 years if he has not adjusted to NFL speed...he never will. It may be the scheme, or it may just be his talent level is limited. He is what he is, good enough to be on a practice squad (as long as eligibility hold out), or even a 53 man roster as a 3rd or 4th option. In a game he may even surprise and get you a big play or more, but he is what he is...a lot of players like him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He has some NFL skill he ran a 4.4 at the combine , but has stated he has been clocked at a 4.3 ? I can see on tape he has NFL speed , but as I stated his blitz pick up will keep him from getting on the field..He only played 2 years at College but he did average over 6 YPC as a Red Shirt Freshman .. So he is still raw and I still think he can carve out a 3rd. down role in the NFL if he can get great protecting the QB..

IMO OC'S would love to use him as a weapon if he can prove he can be trusted to protect.... Is why I stated he should work on it every day , this includes Mentally as well ..Knowing who to block is just as Important as if he can....If I was him I would start with AFC north game film from the past 3 or 4 seasons and study every blitz , sack , and pressure those Teams have produced and insert myself as a protector and what is my roll how do I get in the right position and just expand and keep working from there..

If he puts in this type of work he has potential to make himself very valuable to the NFL... IMO it's all up to him and how much he is willing to do...

13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not buy into any college production and or combine crap after this long in the NFL. While admittedly a few make a mark after being in the league a couple of years, most hang on the fringes simple because that is what they are, fringe players. Like I said, he has talent or would not be even on a PS, but that value diminishes more every year as there are other just as fast, just as capable and find a way to do the things you mentioned. The thing he was drafted to do was something this team has needed for a while, oh look they found an undrafted guy named Jaylen Warren who may have found a home.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Problem is....if He's a third....he must play special teams, and well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Snell has a good shot to stay. He is good on special teams and he has proven he can fill in and be useful at running back.

The only thing McFarland has proven is that drafting him was a bad decision, especially when they passed on Tyler Biadasz to do it. Biadasz is no star, but he's a solid center, something the team desperately lacked in 2021. I'm not sure he's any better than Cole, but he's cheaper and that has value.