1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

McDonald practices today

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dd63, Sep 12, 2018.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Your post pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    I admitted defeat on the 10 catches and donated the $ to the site, and I was happy to do it.
    I can't draw the conclusion that Mcdonald is more valuable on the field than James based on what I saw from Mcdonald last season. Aside from his limited play time (I'm not blaming him for being injured), when he was out there, He didn't show much. His drops in the Jax game weren't even that big of a deal, some of them were probably going to end up being a minimal gain or even a loss if he did catch them because they were safety valve type passes, which was my original point. I hope he overcomes his injuries and he's the best TE the league has ever seen, but right now James is more complete than Mcdonald.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I finally have Gronkowski on my fantasy team. If McDonald outplays Gronkowski... I'll be pissed, but in happy way.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, the gist I was taking away from his post is that McDonald isn't a weapon when on the field. 2 drops is not 6 drops, big difference. Whats indisputable is that 112 yards, 8 first downs is damn good numbers.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Apparently, you find accuracy to be laughable. McDonald is better than James. He is a much better blocker and a more versatile receiver. James has some issues with the occasional drop, too.

I get why people think the way you do. McDonald gets hurt a lot. James is a hometown guy. It absolutely makes sense that James would be more popular, but when both are on the field, McDonald is clearly better.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Great numbers, no question about that. He played in several games during the regular season and had no numbers. My original point was that what he did in the jax game was due to the situation. He only had one catch in the entire first half. After the Steelers abandon the run in the second half and jax had to cover 4 wide every play, he became available. He might be a great weapon but that game didn't prove it. I'm rooting for him, but based on all around performance last season, even taking out the missed games, Jesse was the better option.

6. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Is Ladarius Green still in concussion protocol?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm not really sold on his blocking ability yet either.

[​IMG]

He missed a key block in the second half on 3rd and 1 also, which lead to another failed 4th down.

8. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Well we certainly have seemed to run better when he is out there. Maybe it is happenstance. I certainly don't spend the games watching for TE blocks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Just call it like I see it and the numbers don't lie. He is a great weapon just not dependable........and to think we have 3 more year at some good money to pay Duce I mean Vance.......:shrug:

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

He wasn't out there this past week and Mr. Conner had a pretty nice game.........

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    One video with what looks like a missed block. (We don't actually see what happened. We see what looks like his man making the tackle, but not what actually happened at the snap.) After all this, that's all you've got?

David DeCastro got abused on an attempted block early in the preseason game against the Eagles. I guess he can't block, either. :rolleyes:

So, why do you think he starts when he's healthy? Does Mike Tomlin just not like James?

Seriously, the stuff people come up with around here is just ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, and he averaged less than 20 snaps in the passing game in all but 2 games. 25 snaps in one and hauled in 52 yards and 56 snaps which produced the numbers we've been discussing. It was also his first year and learning a new offense. Not sure what you expect him to do with limited snaps and learning a new offense but when given a healthy dose of snaps and after a season of absorbing the playbook and on a big stage, he showed what he could do. He totaly proved it.

I like Jesse James, I think he is better than he gets credit for but he can't do what Vance does. Only thing he has over Vance is availability.

By the way, saw you knocking his blocking in another reply. Just for some prospective, he grades out close to Heath in blocking ability.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I don't know if the OP was questioning the fact that Vance is a weapon or not. But I'm sure not. He has the potential to be one of the best TEs in football if he stays on the field. The problem is he is never going to. He never was in San Fran either. Keep in mind you are talking about 1 game. It was a damn good game. But he did not have a damn good season. He sat out for most of it, and when he was healthy there were some drops. The stats he put up in the Jax game almost equaled his season totals. If that's the case this year it's time for Vance to be on his way.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, a lot will be decided on how this season will play out. I would not be surprised to see them cut ties after this year if he misses significant time.

If he's on the field though, I'm confident he will produce.

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    McDonald when healthy is a Big Mac and Jesse is a Quarter pounder....

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Yes, we definitely did run well with Conner and no McDonald. I was just referring to last year when McDonald played versus when he didn't. As I said, I certainly don't key in on what the TEs are doing in the run game when I am watching the games so maybe it was just coincidence although the reports are that he is a good blocker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Where? Into a Nursing home?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Last week Conner ran a lot between the guard and tackle or followed a pulling guard. They didn't try to many outside runs where you would notice a TE blocking. Bell likes that play when both Decastro and a TE pull and open that lane to the second level. Conner is more see the hole put your put down and go. I think you'd see the TE blocking more downfield on his runs more than a designed block at the line.

19. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I notice TE blocking when it’s near the runner or in pass-blocking. Generally background noise to me, but sometimes they stand out. They tend to be McD blocking well and James whiffing.

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I was watching the Conner highlights and on the reverse angle of his first TD run, Foster pulls and makes a great block sealing the outside while James makes a great inside seal block to keep the LB's from getting to the lane and Conner walks in.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don’t trust anyone who uses the $ after the amount.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Smart choice, I was raised by Gypsies.