1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

McDonald practices today

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dd63, Sep 12, 2018.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    When are you seeing this big difference? I remember about a dozen catches in the regular season (his 2017 highlights on Youtube show 1 TD, which I didn't remember).
    As far as drops vs. targets:
    If the ball hits the receiver in the hands I think it's fair to call it a drop.
    1Q- 5:35- Hit him in the hands, Dropped/deflected, intercepted.
    2Q- 2:34- Hit him in the hands, Dropped/deflected, should have been intercepted.
    2Q- 1:56- Hit him in the hands- Dropped (a lil low but catchable, it was a 2 yard pass).
    3Q- 2:22- Pass was deflected at the line and sailed high- not a Drop.
    4Q- 3:29- Hit him in the hands- Dropped.
    4Q- 1:27- Hit him in the hands- Dropped.
    5 out of 6 were Drops. Also, he had 9 catches on 15 targets, not 10/16. @ 2:58 of the 4Q, Ian Eagle says " 7 catches, 75 yards for the tight end Mcdonald" (I was counting too). He has another catch @2:48 and one @1:22 = 9 catches.
    If the big difference you're referring to is his blocking in the regular season (it doesn't really show in that Jags game) nothing he did stood out to me, so you may be right about that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Out the door, sorry wasn't to clear on my wording.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Let's just say I don't trust your judgement on "hit him in the hands." You already posted an inaccurate number of drops once. You don't have much credibility on this issue.

Also, if you don't understand that he is a strong run blocker, much better than James, I can't help you.

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Fair enough.
    I didn't notice the pass at 2:22 in the 3Q was tipped at the line until I went back and watched it in slow motion. It wasn't a skyball, Jesse probably could have climbed the ladder and made the catch, but I wanted to be fair.
    Every major sports publication (and the NFL) posted 10 receptions on 16 targets when he actually only had 9/15, as far as your view on credibility.
    Again, I want to be fair, so I'll go back and watch every snap of Mcdonald's pro career so I can form an opinion on his blocking. It shouldn't take too long, he doesn't average many games/starts/plays per season (believe it or not).

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    imo this guy is a waste of a roster spot and cap space, hope this is his last year with the team

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    According to Pro Football Focus, he was targeted 15 times with 10 receptions and 2 drops, 1 of which resulted in an Int.

If a player dropped 6 passes in a divisional playoff game, that would have been all over talk radio. Much like Sammie Coats game and that wasn't even in the playoffs.

McDonald had 112 receiving yards in that game, 97 yards after the catch.

The guy is a weapon when he's healthy. Of course, we know where the problem lies within that statement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It's been a hard process to replace Heath Miller. Shows you how good he was to this team over the years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I hope he doesn't have a labia strain this week.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The official statistics from the game have him with 10 receptions, not nine. Apparently, your film-watching skills aren't well-developed as you think.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed on all points.

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Every other site I checked had him at 16 targets, here's 2:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/15853/vance-mcdonald

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McDoVa00.htm

If he had 97 YAC on 10 catches, 112 receiving yards, that leaves 15 yards for the 10 passes, so each pass averaged 1.5 yards. That sounds about right.o_O
    I watched the game 3 times, once in slow motion. He had 9 catches on 15 targets, 5 drops, 1 tipped at line. Someone find the 10th catch and I'll donate 100$ to this site in their name.
    Here's the 9 catches:
    2Q 3:19
    3Q 13:28
    3Q 11:52
    3Q 5:14
    4Q 9:54
    4Q 3:55
    4Q 2:58
    4Q 2:48
    4Q 1:22

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm going to trust the site that charges money for the correct stat. However, even if its 16 targets, so what. I think you saw 16 targets and 10 receptions and reasoned he had 6 drops. Doesn't work that way. Now you're watching the film and trying to fit a square peg into a round hole to match up the supposed drops. Your definition of a drop clearly differs from the NFL, who's formula is used by all these sites to determine drops.

By the way, even your links have him with 10 receptions.

It was 2.5 yards, not 1.5. He had 11.2 yards per reception, 9.7 yac per reception. YAC is a good skill, not a bad one. He had a long of 22 yards and 8 first downs. I don't know why its so hard to admit the guy is good when he's on the field.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He was on the field a decent amount last season, how did he do then? 10 games 14 rec 1 TD (according to NFL.com).

I didn't mention his six drops until I rewatched the game, it's right there in my post. I didn't mention 9 catches instead of 10 until I rewatched the game a second time, in slow motion. Again, it's right there in my next response. No square peg round hole conspiracy.
    I was pointing out that my links had 10 receptions on 16 catches, meaning they were also wrong.
    My YAC point was that the numbers didn't add up, and they still don't.
    I'll pay the 100$ directly to the first member who finds the 10th catch, if they don't want to donate it. That will cover the cost of NFL game pass, so there's nothing to lose. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, it won't be the first time. It won't be the first time today.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow :lollmao:

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You actually think you are better at watching a game and keeping statistics than the Steelers' coaches and people who do it for a living? Seriously?

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't know what this means.:(

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm a pretty good football watcher.

18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    For crying out loud... There are more options available when he's healthy and he can be a difference maker.
    There is 1 less option when he's not healthy and he can't be a difference maker. Conversely speaking, more balls can be caught and or dropped in option 1 vs option 2 when he's in game.

They could be a better O with him or a better O without him... As they clearly need to be a better O either way... Totally up to them.

Bottom line is He can outright play/catch a ball/drop a ball/block his ass off/give the team presumably better tools to work with if he's in the game... Totally up to him and his body I guess. Stop bitching about what he did or didn't do in a game and season that doesn't matter anymore.

New shot at glory lets go "meat hands"

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Is this some sort of performance art?

In case you aren't just somebody with way too much free time trolling people, I've to say you really aren't that good at it. You've already been caught making mistakes in this very discussion and the people who are good enough to get paid unanimously agree on an answer that only you think is incorrect.

To think, people actually say my ego is out of hand sometimes?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm not trying to cause a stir or be called a troll, just having a lil fun.
    I just donated the 100$ to the site. If the experts say he had 10 catches I must have missed one, although the experts said Bell had 16 carries and I counted 17.....

21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I will say, since I have been going to games for so long, I am better at watching a game than most announcers. I come home from games and rewatch them. Sometimes I wonder what games the announcers were watching with the innacurate stuff they say. Then I come on here, and people are reciting the same wrong stuff like it is gospel truth.

You loose so much watching on TV. Although, it is drier, warmer and the beer line is shorter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    McDonald talk never fails to draw NYSF out of hiding....always lying in wait....ready to pounce :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think the point groutbrook is trying to make is that even when Vance is healthy he has very questionable hands. And he does. How can anyone dispute that? Now, I have no idea if it's 9 out of 10, or 6 out of 16 with with 10 tips and 1 clunk. I don't know anything about this 10th mystery catch. I have no interest in watching gamepass to figure it out. However, I know what I have seen with my own eyes. If you throw the ball to Vance and it hits him in the hands its 60/40 he's going to catch it. His hands have been suspect going back to San Fran. I really not sure how anyone who has followed his career can question that.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The guy is another weapon, when on the field. But odds are he won't be for long. This is the issue. Show him the door? To where?

To say he is better then James is laughable. What, better in getting injured? Hope he can stay healthy and help the team but I just don't see it.

And there will be Jesse James, doing what he does...

• Agree Agree x 1