1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

McDonald - Living up to reputation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Sep 10, 2017.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It may change but Vance McDonald seemed to live up to his rep today. Unable to block and drops a pass that hit him right in the gut, what makes it worse is JJ caught 2 identical type passes while being blanketed by a defender. It looked as if the coaching staff saw all they needed too is he didn't get any more targets and very few snaps afterward.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I have hopes for him and at least we learned lol

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We'll see. I think it would have been a stretch to expect him to be ready to go with so little time in the system anyway.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    His success is tied to Ben's comfort level with him. Ben likes Jesse and that played out. Ben lost confidence in Special Sauce and so he didn't target him after that.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there is that heated battle going on within the offense, mcdonald VS dairy queen. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just like Coates, if you have had trouble catching the ball in the past,
    you may continue to have trouble catching the ball in the future. LOL. look at DHB he still can't catch after 10 yrs. I was perplexed with the signing, and still am? This has Coach T written all over it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I guess I look at this a little different. We lost our big TE fa to retirement and didn't replace him. We have a promising back up in James and was ready to give him a chance which he showed yesterday he is ready. We gave up NOTHING to bring in a change of style(more speed) 2nd TE....oh did I mention we gave up nothing??? IMO if you don't give a guy a chance you will never know if it will ever work out. I guess we could of just held on that late round pick and waste it on a long snapper..........:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I agree with you and it does make sense but the Steelers have a habit of getting guys that have problems catching the ball. It really doesn't cost anything and McDonald is more athletic and has size at the TE position but will you feel that way when he ends up dropping a pass in a critical moment that ends up costing the team a win? These guys usually end up dropping passes in meaningful division or playoff games, and he adds zero blocking value as we saw that on display, if you watch all his snaps he whiffed on one block and held on another, what is worse is his hold was a poor attempt at a block. I like the size and speed but it means nothing if he struggles to catch a ball right in his gut, hoping he can make a leaping catch in the corner of the end zone is completely out of the realm of possibility. I know, I'm not giving him a chance because it was only one outing but remember, he was noted for this before we got him and SF is in need of skill position players and felt he wasn't worth keeping so what we saw was probably what his normal type of play and still it wouldn't be a waste if he could block but he looks incapable of doing that very well either. I think they keep him for depth and look to trade next season.

9. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    1 game in black and gold under his belt. Enough said. He's a depth player. Safety cushion. Not meant to put up starter numbers. But ideally will provide reliability at receiving and blocking depth

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I totally get what your saying and to be fair yeah your right I will be pissed when he drops a pass in a critical moment just like I would with Bell, Brown, Bryant etc. My thing is where is he on the pecking order, if we are relying on him over AB, LB, MB and even JJ and rogers we are doomed. The guy was brought in as a project, give him a chance. It isn't like BB or anyone else tore it up in the first half, heck I think AB was the only one to show up in the 2nd half. I am more concerned about the lack of success from our oline and Bell vs the pitiful clowns than our 2nd TE and 5th or 6th option.

As far and the whole SF thing goes, the team was a mess I have no problem forgetting what he did there since now he is with a good QB and tons of talent around him. Also let's not forget we have nothing invested in him. If he fails so be it we still have JJ but if he works out there is yet another weapon on an already loaded team. He is a depth player with nothing but upside for us and if the upside don't show up then oh well next man up....jmo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You're being kind, I was thinking another way to phrase it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    In regards to his drop, am I the only one that thought the defender planted his helmet/shoulder on the ball as he was catching it? I had to watch the game at a bar, since it wasn't televised here so I couldn't do my usual replays, but I remember thinking at the time that the defender hit him right on his hands or the ball itself. I'll have to see if I can find a replay somewhere...

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It's Jesse James job to lose at this point. Ben likes throwing to him in the endzone. Who wouldn't though he's 6' 7"

Guy isn't going to blow you away with speed, but he's a serviceable player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Relax!!!! it's only game one and the whole team needs to gell and get better he'll get there.

15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    you're leaving out the part where McDonald was hit at the same time as the ball. Even if he had caught it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the drive. It was 3rd and 12 and it is was a 3 yard pass.

That play was one of a couple dozen head scratchers by Ben and Haley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Watts int should have shown the TE's how to catch like a TE..

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep. With the new cut day rules, I'd say a lot of teams will be looking a bit ungelled this week.

18. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

True and once they gell. They be gelling!!!:rawk::rawk:

19. wyn50

wyn50 New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Yesterdays game seemed like it was a preseason game. They all did not play together the whole preseason. It showed yesterday. It was promising but far from clean. Hope next week will be better since they play a better team.

20. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    5mil/yr is a lot of nothing don't you think?

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    If he don't work out we cut him and it won't cost us a dime. If he works out than no 5 mil a year is not a lot for another weapon. Some interesting info since you bring up money:

As far as incentives go, McDonald can earn $75,000 a season if he catches 55 or more passes and another $75,000 should hit 700 yards receiving in a single season. Being as he has never hit those statistical marks, that money goes down on the ledger as not likely to be earned. In short, there’s no reason to worry about that part of his contract until he hits those statistical levels and it will be great cap money spent should he ultimately do so.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/vance-mcdonald-contract-details-salary-cap-charges/

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    McDonald will make 2.6M this year, which I think is more than he's worth but he has a chance to prove himself (no bonus money) and he can be cut without any dead money this year or next:

Steeler Depot:
    McDonald is currently scheduled to count $2,615,625 against the Steelers salary cap in 2017. If he flounders this upcoming season, the Steelers can easily cut him by April 1, 2018 without incurring any dead money and the same goes in 2019 if he plays the next two seasons in Pittsburgh.

• Like Like x 1
  23. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    The only reason any TE is pushing for JJ's job is because JJ has a lousy YAC stat...

24. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you for the clarification Diamond, 2.6 is a lot of money to pay a player that may catch 30 ?

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Well if the Steelers knew he was only going to catch 30 I think maybe they wouldn't have done this. I think the key here is they were looking for a deep threat at the TE position after seeing what Green did when on the field. I think the Steelers are looking for more of the 16 YPC and also another deep threat for Ben at the TE spot.

I feel like you just don't like this kid and you are looking for every little thing to hold against him like the 2.6 mil. The Steelers are rolling the dice with the hope he plays up to the potential he had coming into the NFL. We brought in Haden for 3.1 mil and Alualu for 2.3 with hopes to improve, we signed Jones for 2.2 paying Moats 2.8 and DHB 1.3. You have to spend the money and take the chance on some guys when you are as close as we are.

All the hate on McDonald I don't get, we are talking about a 5th - 6th option who if plays well could be a 3rd option and a big play threat all for a risk of 2.6 mil. I am not McDonald fan have not watched him but if our front office thinks there is a chance with him I am all for that. He is a Steeler now and I will root hard for him cause if he does well that will mean our offense is doing well.

One question to all the haters on this, what did you want the Steelers to do after Green decided to step away? If the Steelers felt so great about JJ they would have never brought Green in in the first place. If Vance fails so be it but we gave up a pick that would would have spent on a long snapper to only cut later on and going to have to eat 2.6 mil which we have done before............if he does well than I guess so will our offense! JMO