1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

McDermott: Tomlin outcoached me

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Sep 13, 2021.

1. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Steelers don’t fire head coaches. It’s a philosophy they seem to have, good or bad.

A lot of people in the league overpraise coaches who win games but still consistently fail late in the season. Guys like Tony Dungy, Marty Schottenheimer, etc. we’re all praised in their time, even when they were always coming up short.

I’m done giving him praise for the regular season. I’m done giving him praise for “scheme” when it’s clearly individual talent that’s making plays. I’m sick of “beat your man” being the primary strategy behind this team. Give me a real football mind. Put the rah-rah guy back coaching DBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't look at any other team's message boards so I don't know but, is it only (some) Steelers fans that wank constantly despite having a competitive team every year, haven't had a losing season in, what, 15 years, have only had 3 coaches since the merger, two of whom are in the HOF and the third will be there someday? Must be some sort of a syndrome

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It's clearly individual that DON'T make plays too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The SCHEME clearly fooled J. Allen. McDermott is an honest chap, Tomlin got one right. :thumbs up:

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The syndrome here is being lulled into being satisfied with coming up short. The goal of professional sports isn’t to be “competitive”, it’s to win when it matters: in the playoffs. It’s to be a champion. The Steelers regular season success of the past decade has resulted in what, exactly? 3 whole playoff wins, one of which was a gift by the freakin Bengals.

Their last two playoff games? Getting pants by Blake Bortles at home and the Browns at home. Round of applause, at least we made the playoffs, am I right?

Tomlin is shyster who gets by on having pro bowl talent across his roster. He rides Colbert’s GMing, and there’s a reason he hasn’t won anything since Ariens and LeBeau left.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Methinks thou doth protest too much! I used to believe that nothing was more important than a Steeler SB! Then, life got in the way and I can see it for what it is........entertainment. Of course, I love the wins, SMH at some of the stupid stuff Ben/Tomlin/STs do, brag on the team and defend them to friends and family but, end of the day, there's more to life than wanking about stuff I have no control over.
    I still do it sometimes though........

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This x 1,000. Tomlin needs strong OCs and DCs to win in the playoffs. Cowher fired OCs and DCs every other year in the 90's and 00's. Tomlin hangs on to coordinators and position coaches who should've been let go sooner than it happened.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You're making my point. You're incapable of having a rational objective discussion regarding Tomlin. You're going to have alot of trouble here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No it wasn't a shot a C. Simms....it's just how I always think of Him.....as Phil's boy.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You know, Mikey ( I can call you Mikey, it's family around here) every time you post you prove everyone else right. It's almost like you can't help yourself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I have said this multiple times on this board on different Tomlin threads. The guy is an Avg to above Avg coach nothing more but possibly a lot less. We will see once his franchise QB retires. The goal is to win championships, you have to win in the regular season to have a shot at the playoffs so the regular season stats are nice. At the end of the day the guy cant get it done in the playoffs or down the stretch sometimes, that is the pattern he has shown. He will have the team ready to play most of the time if the are the underdog. If they are a favorite hold on to your hat, you have not idea what team will show up. There will always be Tomlin apologists and they tout his great record, and "the rest of the league would love to have our consistency in the regular season". were "spoiled". If your not winning championships your not doing what your hired to do. That's my opinion

I know its hard but were still kicking the same can down the road, same dings, same dents, same flaws. Just happy to have a can.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I could get behind what You say if there were maybe multiple SB winners a Year, but some of the coaches people say, are this and that ....have no SB wins, or more than one. So unless You are just talking about Belichick's as a today's coach ....who are these other awesome coaches in today's game.
    I know ....the ...Well they don't have our talent. Hmmm......Why ????.....We are the only team allowed 2 have talent. People say this sh!+ all the time, but when they show the most talented teams by list ....we are never in the top 10.....that's just in fans heads.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Diggs and Wallace aren't similar receivers, Wallace was a one trick pony, Diggs is an all around WR.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    LeBeau's schemes were outdated, it was time for him to go, the rookies didn't get much playing time back in his day.

15. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Is it just me, or are there a couple of guys arguing here that if you don't win the Super Bowl, you should be fired? Every year, therefore, there should be 31 coaching vacancies.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    This is why we really can't afford any injuries. Next Man Up will not be as good and the opponent will exploit it mercilessly.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He contradicts himself too, says its individual talent not scheme but then blames Tomlin in the same breath. Which is it?

Buffalo was a well coached game and the team played good in all three phases.

It’s not difficult to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Not making that argument. Their job is to win SB and if you don't depending on where you are in the team building process (built, or building) determines success or failure in my opinion. The thing is we have been built and rebuilt under Tomlin, things have not changed. Also I'm not saying that I have a guy to step in and run the show but there are other Cowher's, Tomlin's out there on other staff's that might be the next. But if we stay complacent and happy to win in the regular season only to bow out early in the playoffs or nose dive down the stretch what's the point.

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This could be said about most NFL teams. Ask the 49ers... they went from Super Bowl berth to 6 wins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    They lost like ten key guys. If we lose one, the hole will be blown open wide. This is why Colbert is so important. The Ingram signing was huge.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    One? No but if like last year when they lost 5 guys for the season then it’s over. They were decimated by injuries, teams don’t survive that.

Anyone that says different is talking out their butt.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I would gripe at the Rooneys not Tomlin for this. Mikey coaches close to his ceiling. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Agreed. Some people have such a biased against Tomlin that they're not able to view anything concerning him rationally.

• Winner Winner x 2
  24. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    We still run those same outdated schemes and it looks pretty darn good to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Banner is not a difference maker, but he was out. (He would keep Chuks off the field)
    Tuitt, who is definitely a key player, was out.
    So that is at least 2 starters for the early part of this season.

Whenever people gripe about losing to Cleveland last year, I wonder how they think it is the same team that opened the season, when it was thin due to multiple injuries, and then lose their #1 CB on top of that.
    (I think Hayden would have made a huge difference in the outcome of that game.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1