1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe the Steelers should hire Mark Whipple as senior offensive assistant

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 17, 2023.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He was Pickett's OC at Pitt when he had a big senior season, Whipple was let go by the new coaching staff at Nebraska, he was also Ben's first QB coach with the Steelers.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd rather see mike sullivan and pat meyer given more say in the offense. :cool:

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    For what reason? Just curious.

I'd assume that its because Sullivan was an OC before (although a very bad one). Meyer has been a super bright spot for the OL, but is it time to start pushing him into the OC picture?

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah in the two years Sullivan was OC his offense ranked in the bottom half of the league in passing yards and TD's and in the bottm 5-7 in rushing yards and TD's. His team somehow went 11-5 the first year and then 3-13 the next and got fired, never to be an OC again. IDK. I would definitely consider his tenure as poor. I'd be super unexcited about a promotion for him.

Meyer has been a good addition, but idk if he is the type to be an offensive assistant or not. Some guys have that and some don't. I don't think successful position coach is the main prerequisite either. I don't know enough about him and his coaching style outside of the OL room to have an opinion.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    There were more than two years as an OC and more as an offensive assistant, plus won the super bowl.:cool:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  7. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Please do. I would hire him as OC in a heartbeat if I were Tomlin/Rooney/Khan.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That wouldn't be a bad idea if he's interested. He certainly got the most out of Pickett at Pitt.

• Like Like x 1